Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #1

I'm getting ready to install a Xantrex Xpower 1500 inverter. The instructions require a 200 amp circuit breaker and I want to also install a Perko disconnect switch. I know the inverter needs to be installed in an area separate from the batteries but my question is: can the Perko switch and the circuit breaker be installed in the battery compartment? If so, which one goes closest to the batteries? I have two Trojan 105s.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #2

I'm getting ready to install a Xantrex Xpower 1500 inverter. The instructions require a 200 amp circuit breaker and I want to also install a Perko disconnect switch. I know the inverter needs to be installed in an area separate from the batteries but my question is: can the Perko switch and the circuit breaker be installed in the battery compartment? If so, which one goes closest to the batteries? I have two Trojan 105s.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #3

The Perko would be fine located with the batteries, but I would not put the circuit breaker there because of the possibility of gassing of the batteries when under very heavy load, which is when the breaker would open. There is a small chance that the arc created by the breaker opening could ignite the hydrogen from the gassing. I would put the circuit breaker in the same area sa the inverter. That is just my opinion, but I always err to the safety side of things. That served me well for 40 years of electrical work.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Kirk. That makes sense about the possibility of an arc situation from the circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker is near the inverter in a separate compartment from the batteries and the Perko diconnect switch is in the battery compartment, that would make the disconnect switch the first thing connected to the battery line (out). Would there be a problem with this arrangement?
Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Instead of using a breaker, when I do installs of inverters, I use a fuse and locate it right close to the battery. Even the manfactures who put inverters in a coach will put the inverter fuse on the wall and wire directly to the battery. What size wire were you planning on using? Because size will depend on how far from the batteries you are putting the inverter. Is this just an inverter or does it also have a 3-stage charger built in? If it has the charger, remember to disconnect your old converter, (i.e just unplug it from the ac line) it can be left connected to the dc side.

On the output side of the inverter, how many circuits are you planning to have connected to the inverter? Does the inverter have it's own output breaker? If not, then put a small service panel of 2 or 4 breakers to protect the load side of the inverter.

Hope some of this info helps and didn't confuse you. Good luck.

Jim
RV Tech
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would use a 200a Class "T" fuse instead of a circuit breaker. Much cheaper and much smaller and easier to install.

George

cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote