Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Inverter keeps tripping one breaker

I have a problem when I use My microwave, One of the breakers on the inverter keeps tripping Even when I'm plugged into shore power 50 Amps, Just to let you guys know I do need New house batteries I don't know if it's caused by that, But in the other hand I also replaced my microwave This has never happened in the past with the other one, My question Is it normal for this to happen when I'm plugged in, Shouldn't the microwave run off the power of shore power versus power from the inverted? I don't know if the problem is the batteries or if it's the new microwave, Another thing is it doesn't always happen sometimes I'm able to use the microwave for 30 minutes at a time without tripping the breaker. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Thank you joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Which inverter do you have? Does it feed one or two circuits?

How many watts was your old microwave? How many watts is your new microwave.

"Shouldn't the microwave run off the power of shore power versus power from the inverted?"

There are multiple ways to wire inverters; single in single out, single in dual out etc...

Pull up the specs on your inverter, I think you will find that the shore power comes in through your main panel (should be a breaker in your main panel for the inverter) and then is routed into your inverter. From the inverter the power will be routed out as 1 or 2 circuits.

When routed out it can either go straight to the outlets or it will route to a second panel with breakers.

"Another thing is it doesn't always happen sometimes I'm able to use the microwave for 30 minutes at a time without tripping the breaker."

Sounds like your new microwave may be drawing more current than your previous one. When it trips the breaker is there anything else running that would draw high amps, i.e. space heaters, air conditioners, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, etc...
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It is quite common for the power to pass through the inverter, even when coming from shore power. That's so the inverter can automatically "take over" when it senses a loss of shore power. It sounds like yours is wired that way.

If that is the case, the inverter's internal circuit breaker will open when the combined load of all the circuits it feeds exceeds its internal limit, which is usually 30A. Since you say that sometimes it works for awhile, it may be that it is the combination of the microwave and another inverter-supplied load that is causing the trip. If you have multiple breakers on the inverter, each may open with individual smaller loads. It seems your new microwvae is drawing greater power than the old one, which is not surprising. Microwaves have gotten more powerful over the last 10 years and their power needs (watts) have gone up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Thank you both for taking time to explain to me how the inverter works I have to figure out what I'm going to do to fix this. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I just went through it with my inverter (Magnum 2012). Turns out I had a bad breaker, while troubleshooting the breaker I found a capacitor coming loose from the CB. Ordered the 2 parts and will repair this weekend.

In my MH I have 2 circuits coming out of the inverter. These 2 circuits are both 20 amp. WHile troubleshooting Mapped out which circuit controlled which outlet/appliance. If you find your issue to be that your new microwave is drawing too many amps then map out your circuits and run additional high draw items from the other circuit so the combo doesn't trip your breaker.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter