Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Inverter or not?

My coach has a Heart Freedom 2000 inverter/charger, although the Allegro is a 1999, this unit is newer as it was replaced a few years ago by the first owner.

There are three romex lines entering the box, I assume two are A/C out and one is A/C in. Half the outlets in my coach don't work on the inverter , yet they all work on shore power. Unless I miss my guess, the culprit has to be a bad connection at 1. the inverter 2. the first outlet in the chain of one circuit or 3. a tripped GFI which I have missed someplace.

Any other thoughts on this before I begin tearing her apart?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did they work before and recently quit? On some rigs not all plugins are wired through the inverter.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Did they work before
I don't know, the coach is new to me. It's always been on shore power until my first trip in October.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

It is common for only selected loads to be connected to the inverter circuit. There is usually a "sub-panel" of circuit breakers just for the inverter power.

Main on left, sub on right
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
It is common for only selected loads to be connected to the inverter circuit. There is usually a "sub-panel" of circuit breakers just for the inverter power.
I had thought of that but did not find a dedicated panel. In addition, the other outlets all work on shore power, so the others would be back fed either way. Am I missing a trick here?

Also the refrigerator is not hot on the inverter, makes no sense.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I had thought of that but did not find a dedicated panel. In addition, the other outlets all work on shore power, so the others would be back fed either way. Am I missing a trick here?

Also the refrigerator is not hot on the inverter, makes no sense.
If wired correctly for the inverter the outlets would not be "backfed"
If your refer is a gas/electric model you don't want it running off the inverter, it draws a lot of amps to run the heating element.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #7

And it is not just the refer. A/C and the kitchen because of things like coffee makers and the bathroom because of hair dryers come to mind. Check to see if there is any indication of the wattage. I would not be surprised to learn it is around a 1000 watts intended for 2 old style TV's and some odds and ends when on battery power.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #8

What I was referring to as back feed would occur in the single A/C breaker box on my coach. The commonality of the buss bars in the box would render a split circuit useless, unless I miss my guess. But you are right, a sub panel would split them.

We don't use much A/C when not on shore power, the refrigerator and perhaps a laptop is about it. Recall seeing around 14 amps draw for my unit but not certain. Yet there are two TV sets hooked to the thing, not critical for us.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
My Heart Freedom 25 inverter manual (same manual as your Freedom 20) shows how the AC is connected to the Inverter box. It might be worth a look before tearing into the box.

My rig has two circuit breakers for the inverted circuits mounted on the wall just behind the Freedom 25 in our basement. Each breaker controls a segment of the GFI controlled outlets. I once replaced a Panel Circuit Breaker and the GFI when my outlets would not work, only to finally heed my DW's two hour insistence that I verify that there are no other "switches".

And there they were, in the basement and on my electrical schematic.

If you have a similar situation, check to see if they are on and put your meter on the connections to see if both your outlet lines have power from the inverter.

My refrigerator, water heater, and optional freezer outlets are not powered by the inverter. Just the ordinary outlets that are all GFI protected.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

Below is a picture of my A/C panel. Behind the inverter I see three cables which exit through the upper side of the basement wall and appear to run in conduit somewhere in the engine compartment. I have been gone all day but plan on solving this mystery on Saturday!

Note the panel to the right, the refrigerator (not hot via inverter) is there and also the microwave (hot via inverter). I noticed one GFI, it is in the bathroom. I'll check the outlet in the basement, don't recall if that is GFI. Would assume the GFI circuit is daisy chained, cheaper to do that way.

To test for another panel board feed I'll shut down the panel breaker for the microwave then verify alive or dead. Should be interesting.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #11

Update

Arrived home from "mud fest" this afternoon and did some testing. Power plugged into A/C source, inverter on, all outlets are hot. Turn off the A/C breaker on the panel shown in my previous post, which supposedly controls a couple of the known inverter-fed outlets, and those remained hot. Unplugged the A/C power feed to the coach, those same outlets remained hot.

So at this point, I suspect that the inverter output feed lines are tied directly into existing A/C circuits without utilizing a separate panel. What I do not understand is how those are not back feeding the remaining outlets since they share a common A/C switch box. Tomorrow after church I'm pulling the box apart to see how it's wired.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Inverter or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Arrived home from "mud fest" this afternoon and did some testing. Power plugged into A/C source, inverter on, all outlets are hot. Turn off the A/C breaker on the panel shown in my previous post, which supposedly controls a couple of the known inverter-fed outlets, and those remained hot. Unplugged the A/C power feed to the coach, those same outlets remained hot.

So at this point, I suspect that the inverter output feed lines are tied directly into existing A/C circuits without utilizing a separate panel. What I do not understand is how those are not back feeding the remaining outlets since they share a common A/C switch box. Tomorrow after church I'm pulling the box apart to see how it's wired.

I have not looked at the manual that was referenced above. However many Inverters have a builtin transfer switch which I suspect your does. In your original picture, the Inverter has a button circuit breaker on the incoming power and two button breakers on the outgoing power ( your 3 Romex cables).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #13

If it is like mine there is a breaker in the main panel that feeds the inverter.The inverter has two breakers that feed two circuits in the coach.All the recepicals are not fed by the inverter,just the bath and tv on one circuit and the microwave on the other.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
I have not looked at the manual that was referenced above. However many Inverters have a builtin transfer switch which I suspect your does. In your original picture, the Inverter has a button circuit breaker on the incoming power and two button breakers on the outgoing power ( your 3 Romex cables).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
I suspected it had the transfer switch when I found that the main genset/shore power switch did not have one there for the inverter. The PDF link shows the built in circuit protection for the inverter including those for incoming and outgoing lines. At this point, what I cannot figure out is what is preventing the inverter current from feeding back into the A/C switch box when the shore power is turned off. The circuits have common connections such as outlets. Unless there is another breaker box hidden somewhere....

Tags
inverter