Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #1

Recently purchased and installed a Tripplite APS2012 inverter/charger, per their tech service recommendations for my motorhome. I called later with a post install question and was told that if I have a load on the batteries being charged, that the charger will boil the batteries dry and may damage the charger. Tripplite tech rep suggested a separate bank of batteries with no load. I have never heard of having to have a second bank of house batteries for this reason. Any comments or advice???? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #2

Recently purchased and installed a Tripplite APS2012 inverter/charger, per their tech service recommendations for my motorhome. I called later with a post install question and was told that if I have a load on the batteries being charged, that the charger will boil the batteries dry and may damage the charger. Tripplite tech rep suggested a separate bank of batteries with no load. I have never heard of having to have a second bank of house batteries for this reason. Any comments or advice???? Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like they want to make some more money off you for batteries. Would think there is a adjustment on Inverter to not boil batteries.
Will short cut your question to tech forum below RV Wizard should pick it up for a answer.
Welcome to the forums on irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
As long as the battery bank is in good condition the charging section of your inverter will provide the needed 12 volt power to any loads and still charge the battery bank. Look on pages 7 & 8 of your owners manual for the proper dip switch settings for your particular battery bank. What was the question you asked Tripplite Tech Support?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #5

RV Wizard,
I called about proper wire gage. I have a six foot run from the batteries to the inverter/charger and that calculated to require a 4/0 gage.
This is the email I received from tech support.

""""The inverter is in an RV connected to a battery set that is running other things. This is causing the battery charger in the APS2012 to see the batteries as low and remain in a bulk charge mode. This will, after a prolonged period, boil the batteries dry and may damage the charger. There should be nothing connected to the same battery set that the APS2012 is connected to. Extra loads look like depleted batteries making the charger run in bulk mode which boils out batteries and may damage the charger. I recommend that you buy another set of batteries for the inverter.""""

Have you ever seen a need for two separate banks of batteries as they propose?
Thanks
Nick
Old 07-31-2007, 12:39 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Nick, I am not sure the tech is 100% correct in assuming that because of a load being on the battery bank that the charger will stay in bulk mode indefinitely. While it is true that we have loads on the house batteries usually they are not large loads. It is very importatnt to have a sufficient size conductor for the high dc amperage needed for the inverting and recharging senerio. As the battery gains voltage (even if a load is in the circuit) the charger should see this voltage and drop down to an absoption charge mode. Depending on how low the battery bank is depleted, what the charger is set up to charge at in maximum amperage are all factors in how long it will remain in the Bulk charge mode. Check to be sure that the unit has not be programmed incorrectly or selected for an equalization charge mode. I always disconnect any loads from the bank for equalizing charging. This is mainly due to the fact that the DC voltage is so high I do not want to take a chance on the controls not being able to handle this.
With all this said it is also imperative that the battery bank be in cood condition. If you have a weak or dead cell the charger will not know this but will continue to try to get the bank up to proper voltage, boiling the other cells in the process. I like to use a hydrometer to check the specific gravity in each cell. This way I can determine if I need to replace the batteries based on optimum conditions. Let me know if you are actually having an issue with the unit and we will go from there.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #7

Mike,
I received an interesting phone call after writing the Executive VP of Tripplite a letter. A technician that apparently knows something about motorhomes called and when I told him the story he apologized and said the other data was all incorrect. He tried to explain away the three emails that contained the same incorrect data by saying that the other tech rep(s) were just advising me to check my batteries, but I am pretty sure that somebody in their tech service department just flat did not know what he was taking about. Or they were just trying to sell me some batteries. Thanks again for your guidance. BTW--I see you are a NASCAR fan. I spent a few years as President of Holley Performance Products and we dealt heavily with NASCAR. Been gone/tired/retired for 11 years now, but still have a little of the feeling in my blood. Maybe we can get together someday. Who knows. nhvandagriff@aol.com
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear that you have gotten it cleared up. I am sure the fella that gave you the bad info will be having a sit down and some training in order to keep his job. Take care and hopefuly one day we will cross paths.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
One other idea is to use a non-charger type of inverter and have the converter do the charging for it! I have a Intel-charger that will put out 80 amps and so will the alternator!And a solar panel will be on the roof when it is rebuilt. The inverter has its own panel that is seperate from the rest of the electric panel and the inverter goes between the panel for the micro and tv and the rest of the electric is on the other side of the inverter. If you start-up the generator it shuts off the inverter and allows the tv and micro to run off the generator, Same with the 30 amp line coming in. when I have a power interrupt,the inverter kicks right in and I don't have any loss on the sat dish or the tv. when the power is restored the inverter cuts right out and you can't tell it was interrupted! I'm not to sure that is the way the other company's hook up there inverter but it was easy as I had the extra box and only needed the different breakers for the box.The feed to that box was where I hooked the inverter and the output to the box has some kind of relay in it. it works great when you live in a area like The Tucson area as we have monsoon's that last for weeks and we loose the electric on and off all the time. The way that inverter is wired, no surges and seems seamless the way the inverter switches over. I have had no problem with the battery's over charging.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote