Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #1

I recently installed an inverter connected to the house batteries, whenever I start the coach the inverter faults out, low voltage. I then need to cycle the power to clear the fault.

Question, why would the coach batteries be drawing power from the house batteries when starting?

Chris
cfoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #2

I recently installed an inverter connected to the house batteries, whenever I start the coach the inverter faults out, low voltage. I then need to cycle the power to clear the fault.

Question, why would the coach batteries be drawing power from the house batteries when starting?

Chris
Old 08-21-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Good question. There is probably a relay that allows cross-connecting house and chassis batteries for emergency starting - maybe that relay is stuck in the closed position (it is normally open) or the switch for it has shorted and causing the relay to stay closed.

In newer rigs the house charging system may also charge the chassis battery, to keep it topped up while in shore power for extended periods. There is supposed to be isolation to prevent drawing power in the other direction, but maybe it has gone bad or was miswired?

There may also be an accessory installed that is effectively cross-connecting the two battery systems, i.e. it is wired to both the hose and chassis batteries. I've seen that done to make an accessory work "both ways", but it will cause problems like yours.

What's the condition of the house batteries?

Is your inverter an integrated inverter/charger like a Heart or Xantrex, or is it an add-on inverter only, with a separate converter/charger for charging. Each has different wiring and differing possibilities for this sort of problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #4

I have an add on inverter fully fused from the house batteries. But, I'll have to check for a stuck relay or cross connection.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-22-2005, 05:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yeap - something is letting the engine circuit draw power via the house batteries. Or possibly generating a power spike back to the house system - really nasty voltage spikes are generated when the starter motor turns.

By any chance is there an auxiliary charger for the chassis battery plugged to an inverter-powered circuit? That creates a power loop of sorts because the inverter draws house power to try to re-charge the chassis battery during starting. An auxiliary charger should not be plugged into an inverter-powered outlet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote