Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Inverter/surge protector issue?

Good afternoon irv2 members!

Spent our country's Independence Day weekend up in Gettysburg.

Here was my issue - and I am a newbie to inverter usage - turned on 12v at front door and propane, turned fridge on to LP before leaving home. When I got to cg fridge not working.

I plugged into power pedestal with SP and waited 128 seconds, plugged cord in - 124v and 123v on both lines so figured voltages good, Xfer switch clinked on, less then 15-20 seconds surge protector tripped and line 2 showed 90v. Tried this twice, front air conditioner breaker was tripping both times, seperated cords, and reset the breaker.

Dummy me realized I hadn't turned on the inverter (Triplite 750W) at the house, duh! When parked at home, RV is not plugged into shore power, so I turn off inverter and red button "fuse" so as to not have any battery loss.

Started process again and everything worked fine rest of the weekend. I'm pretty sure I've read that AC flows thru inverter even if off, but what if the fuse is breaking the circuit?

Long winded question then, do I possibly have a wiring problem, coincidence, or do I need to do more reading up on inverters, or was there just a friendly ghost training me?

Thanks for your time and advice,
billyboy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't see what the inverter would have to do with this. It merely powers a few outlets when no shore power or genset is active, right? But that "red button" might be related. Your fridge requires 12v power to operate, even when in LP mode. What does that "red button" disconnect?

None of that should cause 90v on the shore power cord and that's what your "SP" apparently detected. It is measuring the voltage in the shore line, so that's where the problem was. What make and model "SP" do you have?

Is this Triplite inverter something you or somebody else added in? If so, what did they do to assure it never feeds an outlet at the same time that shore or generator power is active on that outlet? The results would be unpredictable if that ever happened. But you say it was Off anyway, right?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary,

Thanks for your response.

Triplite 750 was factory installed. SP is a TRC, Surge Guard 50amp portable. When I'm parked at home I turn off the "red button" on the inverter which is the circuit breaker.

What was throwing me off was after I waited for the CG power to read necessary voltages, then I plugged in RV cord and tripped breakers and that's when the SP said 90v on line 2. I figured it was an RV issue until I turned on Inverter and its circuit breaker. Everything worked fine there after, so that's why I was curious if I have a real problem.

Again, thanks for your time!
Bill
Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The SP is reading line voltage from the power pedestal. The inverter, on or off, has nothing to do with that, isn't even in the picture! I think you encountered a coincidence when you pushed that button and the pedestal voltage got ok.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said the Air conditioner was tripping the breaker.. Mine did that earlier this year and when I pulled the covers off the condenser was .. Well.. Clogged.. A good cleaning and it's not done it since..

Though my Surge protuctor did just cycle (power flicker in park so it shut me down for 3 minutes.. Nice)

By the way.. Regarding surge protectors.. I just read a different OH C*** I plugged my 30- amp cord into a 240 volt outlet" thread

You see, he had a surge protector.. Only damage is to his pride, Total cost of fixing what got broke is $0.00.. That was one inexpensive Surge Protector he bought. (Or in other words it just paid for itself)

Tags
inverter