Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Inverters

Want to change to a residential fridge, will my Trace Legend Series1 model L1512 give me the proper power. It's in a 2000, Holiday Rambler, Ambassador, 34'??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Is that a pure sine wave inverter? I was told it's best to use a psw inverter for the refrigerator.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Den Dot... I started to respond to this and decided I don't know your skill level and this would take pages to bring you along... the basic steps are... find the refrigerator and understand the load, and the daily power needs.. I use donrowe.com for high quality psw inverters with excellent pricing... he will help you size the inverter to your needs...

Than you need to provide the 12vdc power.... batteries, combination of driving and batteries, gen set, etc, etc... this part is in your hands as its all based on your specific needs...

My personal needs require (3) sets of (2) 6vdc golf cart batteries to cover my needs for the way I use my vehicle...

Hope this helps.... provide more specifics and we'll supply more answers... hows that..
Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenDot View Post
Want to change to a residential fridge, will my Trace Legend Series1 model L1512 give me the proper power. It's in a 2000, Holiday Rambler, Ambassador, 34'??
Many of the residential fridge options in 5th wheels and smaller MH's are coming with a 1000W if it is dedicated only to the fridge. Your 1500W should do fine. Some refrigerators will operate well on a MSW inverter. My Samsung RF 18 has been running on one for 1-1/2 years now.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

As stated, the Samsung RF18 (and other Samsung fridges) will run on MSW inverters. I called Samsung and asked. We never boondock and don't know what your style of camping is. We have only used our inverter once while traveling to keep the fridge running. All other times we don't bother. The fridge stays cold just fine for the 4 to 5 hours we're traveling. We also will stop during that time for lunch and turn on the gen for a/c, so that helps keep it cool, also. Once we reach our destination, we have shore power. So, what I'm saying is, depending on your style of camping, you might not even need to use your inverter for the fridge that much.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your L1512 has plenty of power (1500 watts) but it's a modified sine type. That's not optimal for any motor or compressor driven appliance, but most will work. They just don't work efficiently and may overheat or consume excessive power.

Your other concern has to be your battery bank size, i.e. whether it can produce adequate power for whatever length of time you expect to be without external power (shore or genset). Driving time is usually not a big concern, since the engine alternator should be charging the house batteries as you drive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Is that a pure sine wave inverter? I was told it's best to use a psw inverter for the refrigerator.
Bob86ZZ4
While a pure sine wave, (PSW), inverter might be "best" most residential refrigerators will run perfectly fine using the 120VDC produced by a modified sine wave,(MSW), inverter.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #8

inverter

Thanx for the input, was wunder'n about the sine wave part. Am going to start to look for a fridge that will fit, my Ambassador has less ceiling height, max is 67" from the top of the furnace. So the Samsung is out.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I had only 67 inches in our coach and was able to modify the floor by lowering it to accommodate the Samsung fridge. I also had the furnace under our fridge plus I had plumbing due to the slider. It is doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0624161551a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	133024  
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

I wouldn't risk it. I'd go with a PSW.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenDot View Post
Thanx for the input, was wunder'n about the sine wave part.
If/when I buy a new inverter to replace my OEM Magnum, it will be a PSW. I just didn't see the need to spend another $2K, when many have already successfully used MSW inverters for the Samsung RF. Just make sure that the RF you choose is compatible with your inverter.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Just a note about using MSW inverters; most of the recent generators have MSW outputs. Our '05 KSDP came with an Onan Quiet Diesel generator. The engine varies speed to provide DC power, but the output is MSW AC. Our built-in inverter is a 2KW MSW unit. Everything works just fine, including the Samsung RF19 I installed.

Just a note............

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our '05 KSDP came with an Onan Quiet Diesel generator. The engine varies speed to provide DC power, but the output is MSW AC.
Have you verified that with an oscilloscope? While it does indeed use a pair of inverters to produce 120v power, the Onan QD 7500 brochure clearly states the 120vac output is pure sine. Ditto for the current version, the QD 8000.

See under "Standard Features" in the brochure or spec sheet:
https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/P...ets/a-1408.pdf

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter