Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

Iowa to Texas, Leaving Tomorrow!

It'll be a 2500-mile round-trip drive to Port Aransas on Mustang Island --19 hours each way.

But the RV is finished (see our remodeling project: RV Remodel Project ), the kids will take their last exams tomorrow afternoon, the employees are lined up and ready, the oil is changed, the tires are aired, the propane is topped off, and everything is "go". Now all we need is for the snow to miss us!

JJHoneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Safe travels and Merry Christmas to the Honeck Family
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to a very wet south Texas. We are just up the highway abit from Port Aransas near Rockport, Texas. You can't believe the rain we've had. From the end of November to the present Dec 18th we've had over 9 inches of rain. Thank goodness the forcast is predecting sunshine for the next week or so.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Welcome to a very wet south Texas. We are just up the highway abit from Port Aransas near Rockport, Texas. You can't believe the rain we've had. From the end of November to the present Dec 18th we've had over 9 inches of rain. Thank goodness the forcast is predecting sunshine for the next week or so.
Yeah, the forecast looks great -- especially after experiencing sub-zero temps and a full-blown blizzard here in Iowa.

We're just waiting for the kids to finish up their last final exams... And packing... And shopping for food... And... We'll start driving tonight, and (in theory) drive all the way through, alternating drivers.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

We made it to Port A! 21 hours straight through, alternating drivers. The RV performed perfectly all the way down, until getting off the ferry on Mustang Island. It feels like the right front brake caliper is grabby, dunno why -- but it's causing the MH to pull to the right noticeably. I'll have to check that out. (This happened one other time, and it just cured itself. My shop could find no explanation.)

The only other casualty of the 1200+ mile drive was my brand-new left rear hub cap. Mary turned a bit tight in a gas station and crunched it against the curb around the pumps. Oh, well -- Ebay, here I come! (Of course, it had to be the new one -- not one of the older, cruddy ones...)

My leak tests (on the newly refurbished bathroom) that I couldn't do in the Iowa deep-freeze turned up a nasty leak at one of the fittings on the back of the tub faucet. WTF? Took it apart and discovered one of the rubber gaskets missing. D'oh!

So, the thing HAD to drop straight down from the fitting, right? I'd been losing the danged things throughout the remodel project, every time I moved those hoses, and always found the gaskets in the same spot, inside the wall. Not this time -- no dice. We looked everywhere, and it was just GONE.

So, we saddled up the bikes and rode over to the island hardware store, where I found the right gasket for less than a buck. Put it all together and turned the shore water on, pressurizing it. Ran all the faucets -- we're good!

Then, the big test -- the newly installed tub/shower. As you may recall, my remodel project began with having to replace rotten wood beneath the tub, and progressed from there -- so having a leak-free tub drain is pretty important! I got my daughter in the shower while I stood on my head in the bedroom, peering beneath the tub through an access hole. It's all good (and, even if it DOES ever leak, the floor under there is like a boat, now), so we're finally 100% good to go!

We've set up in a site in the Island RV park for the next 7 days. We'll be in meetings some of the time (we're actually here on business, looking at some property) -- but mostly we're just going to enjoy our time with the kids, and maybe eat too much...

Merry Chrismas, all!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #6

on the caliper dont know how many tools you carry (jack ...) look at the caliper i have soon nany times it will be the rubber brake line to the caliper hope you the best hope weateher is warm as im north from you fort worth
have a great trip keep us informed
dave
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
on the caliper dont know how many tools you carry (jack ...) look at the caliper i have soon nany times it will be the rubber brake line to the caliper hope you the best hope weateher is warm as im north from you fort worth
have a great trip keep us informed
dave
Well, as happened the last time this caliper hung up, it seems to have cured itself. We drove over to Corpus Christi for the day yesterday (to tour the USS Lexington -- an outstanding floating museum) and everything was normal. Dunno if it hangs up when it gets hot, and releases when it cools down? Braking was entirely normal. Weird.

The great weather on the Texas Riviera continues. It's 64 degrees as I'm typing this, at 11 PM. We've got the windows open, and there's a nice, light breeze rustling the palm trees.

I'm not looking forward to going back to the ice and snow in Iowa next week, but we've made an offer for a property down here, so perhaps it won't be for too long?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #8

hope it works out i toured the lexington last year had a good time went to the aquarium next door it was ok as i have been to better ones supposed to start snowing here in a few hours (ft worth) i think when you get home i would look into the brakes rebuilt calipers were around $70 each the kit was $10 thats the way i went brake lines were$18 each. merry christmas drive safe
dave
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I know how rewarding it is to renovate something and be able to sit back and say "good job". Now I can use it as it's supposed to be used. I completely redid a 42' Gibson Houseboat. It was a great feeling to cast the lines and leave the slip. Enjoy the Holidays in YOUR own motor home.
SAFE JOURNEYS
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JJHoneck,

I'll second Dave's idea. The rubber hose to the front caliper is a big time suspect on pulling and giving "tugs" to the brake applications. When I bought my 'ole 33', '86 HR I went through the same thing. After doing all the brakes and master cylinder, it still pulled to the right. A new rubber hose solved the problem.

If that doesn't do it, the caliper is next.

Great project you did on your rig. We wish you a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year and many, many more great trips.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
JJHoneck,

I'll second Dave's idea. The rubber hose to the front caliper is a big time suspect on pulling and giving "tugs" to the brake applications. When I bought my 'ole 33', '86 HR I went through the same thing. After doing all the brakes and master cylinder, it still pulled to the right. A new rubber hose solved the problem.

If that doesn't do it, the caliper is next.

Great project you did on your rig. We wish you a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year and many, many more great trips.
Thanks for the great advice, all. I'll have it checked when I get back to Iowa next week.

Meantime, we're battening down the hatches here on Mustang Island. Wind is gusting over 40, and the power has been off and on all night and day. We're at the bottom of the big storm system that's pummeling the Midwest with rain, ice, and snow. Luckily, it's sunny here -- just very, VERY windy!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #12

like i said im above you windy the snow is above my maybe 50 mi
when i was down there july 2006 stayed at the padrae palms. 10 in of rain in a day. we were off the water maybe 50 feet windy as he.. all night i would check the wheather radio if you can stay there a little
dave