Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Is 33' Too Long?

I've seen some posts regarding the length of MHs allowed in BLM lands and state/national forests/parks. We're looking forward to buying our first MH to begin full-timing and hope to spend some of our time "off the grid" in such places. What is your opinion or experience so far as a 33' MH being able to take advantage of such lands/places? I welcome any and all responses.

kmburns49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #2

I searched Google and could not find any broad based length limit for RV's on BLM sites. There are limits in specific areas so you have to call ahead or do a Google search and find out what their length limit is but generally it's open range and other than terrain and natural obstacles there should be no limits. There is a limit on the time you can stay which is 14 days in any 28 day period. Most state parks will have length limits though and just because they say they can accommodate up to 40' in length that may mean they have 2 out of 50 or 60 sites that you can use.

I searched a little further and did find one BLM site with a 25' limit, that was Atlantic City, WY. There are probably more like it so you just have to search for the area you are interested in. Some National Parks also have limits, like Arches and Canyonlands National parks have 28' limits, Natural Bridges has a 26' limit. McCabe Flat BLM on the Merced River has an 18' limit, but that is because of a bridge that has to be crossed.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Check out the wheelingit blog at wheelingit.us. They have a 40-footer and spend a ton of time in BLM and public parks. Their blog, which they should sell as a book, IMO, has lots of detailed reviews from their stops in campgrounds mostly in the west.

They have expressed the opinion that they should have gone a bit smaller, but certainly not smaller than 35.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the floor plan you will enjoy living in. Staying on BLM or state land in a unit that you do not like will make your time there miserable.

A bit longer may make a few places unavailable but IMO you will not be staying in every state park.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

We have had good luck with 33' the past two years. Our ratio is about 50% public parks, 25% private parks, and 25% public lands BLM/forests. Rarely do we have a problem with state, national or COE campgrounds. BLM and Nat'l Forests are slightly more difficult, more so in the east. One limitation of some BLM/NF campsites is getting a class A motorhome to them.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

We have a 33' MH.

Last year we stayed at the Atlantic City, WY BLM campground mentioned in this thread. We had no problem fitting. It was a back in site. The jeep fit easily in the front, well off of the road. This BLM site does not mention any limits >> South Pass

That said, the smaller you go the more options to camp you will have. On major holidays, finding a large enough open spot for a 33 foot MH could be a problem.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

As some mentioned they have been at campgrounds and set up in sites with RVs longer than the stated limit of the campground. I think they may set the length limit a little on the short side as an average site capacity and like any campground there is no standard site length all encompassing. The BLM grounds in the west are for the most part unlimited in length (except California) but not the case in the eastern US.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Too short maybe, but not too long.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

FWIW the real issue seems to be the topography of the area you want to go to. Hilly country dictates shorter sites or a lot of bulldozer work. The steeper the hills the more one needs the dozer and the less likely it will be done.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

Another thing to take into consideration other than the length of the campsites is the roads that lead to them. Last week we made reservations for a 44' campsite in a Minnesota State Park.

When we arrived with our 34' motorhome we were surprised at how difficult it was to access. The roads were extremely narrow (less than 1 full lane), had tons of limbs and branches overgrowing the roadway (branches scraping both sides and the roof), and corners so tight it was extremely difficult to maneuver.

It took almost 15 minutes to maneuver into the site so that the limbs weren't scraping both sides of the motorhome. Even then the campsite was so narrow we could only extend one slide.

I'm not complaining because the park was well worth the effort. Just be aware that there are more things to consider other than the length of the campsites.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #11

We stay mostly in Blm campgrounds and have a 34 footer this year and we have to do a lot of pruning sometimes just to get to the site and then more when we get there. I carry a two step folding step and a pair of long pruners in the compartment right beside the door. I drop the little woman off at the camphosts to keep them busy so I can prune away. I always make sure to hide the evidence so that there is no problem. The ones we use are just big enough for the MH and if someone comes up we can squeeze a car in the front.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #12

33 ft is too long for a 29 foot coach but still too short for a 40 foot coach, I prefer to get one I like regardless of length and then just suffer the consequences.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
33 ft is too long for a 29 foot coach but still too short for a 40 foot coach, I prefer to get one I like regardless of length and then just suffer the consequences.
The only time 33 is too long is if you are trying to put it into a 25' spot. Most of the spots are longer so you may be too short.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

We just left a state park on lower Mi's NE coast. Our 38' had no troubles navigating the rather tight corners of an older park, and we had to keep an eye out for brush that might snag an antenna or something. We were one of 2 DPs present.

My point is, I may have been in trouble had I not been very familiar with driving this coach. That thought occurred to me several times on the way in and out (weaving around scarred trees/branches) - I would not encourage a low time driver to give that park a try.

That said, we camp almost exclusively at state and national parks, but have little BLM experience. With 5 seasons under our belt with this coach now, I would not buy a smaller one - not for lack of spots our 38 fit anyway.