Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #15

The key words in you original post are I WANT. don't cut your dream short.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Length will restrict some sites available to you. check some of the places you would like to visit and see what you run into as far as length restrictions.

Ken

Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
And I'd trust anything this guy says. If he says "beating a path is easier smaller" , I would trust him.
Ermmm...hoping this is a compliment and not the alternative?
I'm a woman too, but that's minor...hubby's not much of a forum guy

Not many folks like to go quite as far out as we do. Most RVers stick to more regular parks and campgrounds.

Nina
Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post

Not many folks like to go quite as far out as we do. Most RVers stick to more regular parks and campgrounds.

Nina
LOL...check out Nina's blog at Wheeling It - you'll get where she's coming from.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We're firmly in the WheelingIt and CampDaven camp. We only need what we have and we only have what we need. 35' of stuff is a lot of stuff and a lot of the fun of being on the road is enjoying the world outside. Of course you can easily fill 45' and come up with a list of more stuff to bring. How much do you really need?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Everyone has their tastes. We've been full-timing for 4 years in a 40-foot Class A and I always wish we'd gone smaller. We love to boondock and stay in state parks, BLM, national forests etc. and the size sometimes limits us. We go many places other big rigs wouldn't and have the scratches to prove it, but my planning would be so much easier if we were smaller. If you're fine with private parks get any size you want...big is no issue. If you want it go off the beaten track size matters and smaller will be better. It all just depends on the type of camping you like to do.
Hahaha, that's me too! 39' with Nevada pin striping. I installed an override on my air suspension so I can temporarily max out ride height to get it over the burm on dirt road turn offs.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #21

To those that choose bigger, it is better.
To those that choose smaller, it is better.
Everybody wins!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #22

What length RV to buy?

Just a thought. You can go to an RV driving school for a good start to your adventures.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Nina
Total compliment.

My wife and I were sitting at a bar in Dallas on business and we were discussing buying an rv seriously for the first time, so I whipped out my iPad, and typed something. Into google and found your blog. And your blog was the seal on the deal for us, so thanks! we had our rv 2 months later. So then when i saw you on this blog (which I found later) I was like ahhhhh and now I understand better who's doing the posts on behalf of the two of you.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Diva View Post
I really want to get a Thor Tuscany 45lt (preferably a 2012) but a family member insists that there are too many places we would not be able to go due to size. She also said a 45 footer pays more. Please keep in mind that we are first time wanna be RVers that will be selling our house to hit the road for the next 5 years or so. A while back (okaaaaaaaaay, 30+ years ago or so), I drove a truck and pulled 45 ft trailers. Now, granted, I am a little rusty, but I figure if I could drive cross country for 6 years, I should be able to handle a 45 motorhome with a little practice, right? I would love to get some feedback from experienced and knowledgeable RVers even if it's to smack me upside the head and tell me I'm insane. lol
Our FIRST and only motorhome is a 45ft. I don't have the driving experience that you have and did fine.

I have not had to pay more because I have a larger rig. It is sometimes a little harder to find a site, but we have always done so without disappointment. Additionally, we are often surprised how small of site we can really fit into.

Recommend you get what you want. It is YOUR house.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Just tell them it's a forty footer. I've never seen anyone measuring rigs at check in.
UM...

We have been in some CGs where they said we could put or previous 39' Winnebago Adventurer in because they could take up to 40'...WITH A BIG SHOE HORN. LOL

CG managers want to get as many folks in as they can. My experience has been that in some cases they are willing to tell you they can get you in and when you get there, it can be a chore. In one case is was not possible. This is not normal but it can happen so I wouldn't tell them anything but the "truth".

Nothing worse than to get into a CG late and have to argue over a refund to go to another one because they weren't accurate in telling you that they could fit you in. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #26

3 thoughts, the first, I think it a safe bet you would quickly become acclimated to the 45'. It's big and heavy, so you have to think further out in front of you, but you're already familiar with that concept. The second, a statement like "you won't fit in state parks" is contrary to my experience. We like the privacy afforded by state parks as a rule (I hate the concept of parking in what amounts to a parking lot with trees here and there), so we avoid private "campgrounds". We're only 38' granted, but many if not most, of the parks we've been in would accommodate a 45' easily (assuming you know how to drive/back it).

Last, regarding the other family member's thoughts, how long have you been looking at motor homes? If you consider the budget, something shorter might allow for other options that may have been a stretch in a 45'? That, coupled with the fact the other family member has been accommodated by at least exploring the potential for something smaller, might make for more enjoyable travels?

Whatever, absolute best of luck gathering your thoughts and wishes!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just my 2 cents:

How much space do you really need? My wife and I loved having space, and thought we needed it. We always talked about having a larger place.

When we decided to return to school, the rent in the town we were moving to for school was insane by our standards. We had talked about full-timing in the past, so we decided to give it a shot. Being of limited means, we bartered for a 23' Class C that I needed to remodel (there is a post buried here somewhere with the remodel).

We spent over 2 years in it. We shared a 42" bed, and learned how little space we really needed. We just bought a 30' trailer this fall (although we didn't plan on a 30', the owner/title said it was 27'), as we only wanted to deal with 1 engine. We are still adjusting to all this space after 5 months.

If you absolutely think you need the room, and are willing to limit where you can stay or travel, go larger. If you want more traveling/camping options, figure out what you absolutely want, and get something that fits that goal.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh, and, as a 2 year veteran of being a USFS camp host, the "won't fit in state/federal parks" isn't about "fitting in" it is about getting in and out period. Same with private campgrounds.

A lot of spots, even if they are technically long enough, aren't positioned for you to be able to get your rig in and/or out safely. We have had people put themselves up against trees, take out large branches, hit the dumpster covers, take out windows on their rv's, Mess up their tires rounding corners and hitting the guide posts/rocks (the do-not-drive-here type), get stuck because they ended up going off path attempting to park, and had someone completely take out the information board at the entrance trying to go around the corner. I've seen people take over 20 minutes just to get into a spot because of their size (MH's, TT's and 5ers).

Tags
full time, fulltime, rving