Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Is Bigger not Better when it comes to Fulltime RVing?

I really want to get a Thor Tuscany 45lt (preferably a 2012) but a family member insists that there are too many places we would not be able to go due to size. She also said a 45 footer pays more. Please keep in mind that we are first time wanna be RVers that will be selling our house to hit the road for the next 5 years or so. A while back (okaaaaaaaaay, 30+ years ago or so), I drove a truck and pulled 45 ft trailers. Now, granted, I am a little rusty, but I figure if I could drive cross country for 6 years, I should be able to handle a 45 motorhome with a little practice, right? I would love to get some feedback from experienced and knowledgeable RVers even if it's to smack me upside the head and tell me I'm insane. lol
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Opinions is what you will get so I will offer mine. We just traded up from a 36' DP to a 42'. I can pretty much get it in most of the same places as the 36'. If you would plan to stay in a lot of state parks or many national campgrounds, a 45' will likely keep you out (as would my 42'). However, there are plenty of private RV parks that easily accommodate 45' rigs. Driving the coach is pretty easy when you get used to maneuvering.

If you plan to sell the stick house and full time in a motorhome, I believe many folks will say get the biggest one you can. It just depends on your expectations, what you plan to take with you, your desires for space.

Your best bet is to start looking at coaches and think about how you will live in any particular floor plan. Also, while many folks like new, there is a huge depreciation penalty when you buy a new coach. There are many, many nice gently used 45' DP's out there that can be bought for nearly wholesale prices. Plus you can usually move up to a more high end rig with your dollars if you consider used.

In any case, good luck with your search and have fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Opinions is what you will get so I will offer mine. We just traded up from a 36' DP to a 42'. I can pretty much get it in most of the same places as the 36'. If you would plan to stay in a lot of state parks or many national campgrounds, a 45' will likely keep you out (as would my 42'). However, there are plenty of private RV parks that easily accommodate 45' rigs. Driving the coach is pretty easy when you get used to maneuvering.

If you plan to sell the stick house and full time in a motorhome, I believe many folks will say get the biggest one you can. It just depends on your expectations, what you plan to take with you, your desires for space.

Your best bet is to start looking at coaches and think about how you will live in any particular floor plan. Also, while many folks like new, there is a huge depreciation penalty when you buy a new coach. There are many, many nice gently used 45' DP's out there that can be bought for nearly wholesale prices. Plus you can usually move up to a more high end rig with your dollars if you consider used.

In any case, good luck with your search and have fun.
+1 I agree with everything smranger states.We moved also to the coach we have now when going fultime. Many benefits to going with a tag axle coach, such as not having to worry about being overweight, much more stable in the wind, and another set of brakes, just to name a few. I would never want to go back to a non tag coach. Good luck shopping, and give much thought to buying used.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Buy your dream . Five feet isn't going to restrict your travels.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the ones saying to keep it under 40 feet, are saying that because a lot of the earlier designed campsites are for the shorter RV's. If you have a longer RV then some sites will be too short, but I think you just have to check before you reserve a spot too small.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As big as you can handle. Don't worry about the places you might not fit, think of all the places you can go. I have a 40ft, wish I would've went bigger.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Over a 3-year period we studied what was available and what we needed.
We F/T in a 33 foot A.
And what we aint got, we dont need.

Space and storage is everything to some. If you hole-up in an RV, you need space. If you "live" outside, and mostly sleep in the RV, "space" is just what you cross on your way to the door, refer, bed, or toidy. Outside is much bigger than any RV, and the outdoor wallpaper changes frequently.

If you like what you have, you have arrived.

Happy trails.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #8

Thanks so much for the feedback. I don't think we will be looking for any wilderness parking in national parks. I anticipate the possibility of work camping at some point in time but understand there are many applicants for a limited number of positions and the interview process may be unique to say the least but there is no rush - we are just getting ready to put the house on the market. I am surprised at my willingness to sell or donate all the household items we've accumulated over the last 23 years. It's funny - I have a completely different mindset when shopping now. I go by the Christmas sales and displays with merchandise 75% off and I think - nope, Won't fit in the motorhome
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Providence is a 39 footer and I wish it was 42. The 39 is fine, but I sure would like a King Bed.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone has their tastes. We've been full-timing for 4 years in a 40-foot Class A and I always wish we'd gone smaller. We love to boondock and stay in state parks, BLM, national forests etc. and the size sometimes limits us. We go many places other big rigs wouldn't and have the scratches to prove it, but my planning would be so much easier if we were smaller.

If you're fine with private parks get any size you want...big is no issue. If you want it go off the beaten track size matters and smaller will be better. It all just depends on the type of camping you like to do.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah you can drive 45 ft,

I bit off a 40' first rv, and it's a pussyfoot cat
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #12

State parks and older campgrounds are better in the smaller coaches, but we've never really had a problem getting in with our longer coach as long as we do a small amount of research and call ahead to the CG prior to arrival. IMHO the stability of the tag axle and the heavier coach just make the days drive much easier.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Everyone has their tastes. We've been full-timing for 4 years in a 40-foot Class A and I always wish we'd gone smaller. We love to boondock and stay in state parks, BLM, national forests etc. and the size sometimes limits us. We go many places other big rigs wouldn't and have the scratches to prove it, but my planning would be so much easier if we were smaller.

If you're fine with private parks get any size you want...big is no issue. If you want it go off the beaten track size matters and smaller will be better. It all just depends on the type of camping you like to do.
And I'd trust anything this guy says. If he says "beating a path is easier smaller" , I would trust him.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #14

Just tell them it's a forty footer. I've never seen anyone measuring rigs at check in.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, fulltime, rving