Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I never get this rationale. What difference does the customer make if youre losing money on ANY transaction?

Ill provide a service to anyone that pays my rate. I like some customers and dislike others... I wont lose money for ANY of them though.

I don't think it's unusual for businesses with multiple departments to subsidize one with the other. They make decent margins on the sale of the new coach and providing warranty service at rates negotiated/dictated by the factory is a necessary evil.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I never get this rationale. What difference does the customer make if youre losing money on ANY transaction?

Ill provide a service to anyone that pays my rate. I like some customers and dislike others... I wont lose money for ANY of them though.

In the same respect... my local dealers can NEVER even come close on pricing for parts or accessories. Plus they charge shipping or have to "order it". I can order it too... and not have to waste my time driving to the location to overpay them.
HUH? I don't follow your "logic"
You say it doesn't make any difference if you're losing money but then say that you'll provide a service to anyone that pays your rate.
We're talking about warranty service after buying from another dealer. It's well known that most warranty work is paid at less than prevailing rate, maybe even below actual cost to the dealer. If you ran an RV dealership and were losing money on every warranty job you took in would you take someone that was local but didn't buy from so you made no profit on the sale, and put them ahead of someone who did buy from you and you made a profit on?

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #17
If you're willing to travel 300 miles to save money on the purchase price be prepared to travel the same distance for warranty and repair work. We had a similar situation when buying our motorhome. The price difference was almost $7000.00 between the local dealership and one a couple hundred miles away. When I asked the local guy why he was so much higher he said "it's the premium you pay to have warranty and service work done locally". When I balked at paying the premium he also informed me that they "only service what they sell".
Luckily our motorhome only had to go to the dealer twice under the warranty. Once to have an inverter installed, (It was on the original order but didn't get installed at the factory), and once to replace a defective LP tank.
Since then we've taken it to the factory (255 miles) for service work.

By the way the local dealer went bankrupt a couple years ago. Just this summer they reopened on a much smaller scale with about half the brands they used to have.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
There is one disadvantage I came accross when we bought ours. Some dealers closer to you may have a policy of offering service to purchasing customers only or booking these customer's appointments before yours. Just ask some frank questions of the closer-in dealers before you buy.

Good advice.

We bought our MH 300 miles from home, but get warranty work from a dealer 80 miles away.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
I bought my Entegra in Orlando Florida and drove it 1100 miles home. It gets serviced at the local Jayco dealer.

Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
I would give the local dealer every chance to make the sale. If they won't bend and you also consider the costs to make the round trip to the out of town dealer several times then it might be worth it to you. Each trip has a time and expense cost. If the RV is needed overnight or a few nights for repairs that cost goes up. Maybe factor some of that into the local dealers price and see if you can come to an agreement. Giving the local dealer a chance they can never say to you that they you did not try to purchase from them.

If you plan to buy and then go full timing, it probably does not matter where you purchase it from as you will be someplace different for needed repairs.

As the customer we don't care what the warranty work costs or what the dealership makes or loses on it, but we do care about being put to the end of the line for work every time.

If you plan to keep the RV for many years the cost of doing business locally probably makes sense, if traded every three years then the difference in 'entry fees' each time might add up. The dealer also knows that if you are planning to be a repeat buyer (at his dealership or at the other farther away dealership) there might be some consideration for that as well.

Many brochures today have a statement reinforcing buying locally. There must be a reason.
2005 Dodge, Cummins 4x4 quad cab, auto, white, dually 3500. 2009 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299bhs.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #21
I bought my Outlaw in SoCal (I was in Tulsa when I found the unit on the net) and immediately hit the road traveling from Alaska to Florida and all points in between. Damon handled warranty issues where ever I was when I had issues either by paying the dealer doing the work or reimbursing me if I had to pay up front. I am a single 60 year old female and have had no qualms about not being "near the dealer"!

Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote