Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

Is distance from dealer a big issue

We are close to purchasing our first RV, a new Jayco Greyhawk 31ds. The closest dealer for us carrying this model at the price we want is about 300 miles away and the price difference is significant. I have been told by two separate dealers that distance should not be an issue if we encounter any problems as the MH warranty would be covered by any Jayco dealership.

Should we be concerned about purchasing a MH from a dealer so far away, and if so what would those concerns be?

Thanks for any help, I've learned a lot from the forum users here over the past 2 years as we have narrowed our decision.
duane0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is one disadvantage I came accross when we bought ours. Some dealers closer to you may have a policy of offering service to purchasing customers only or booking these customer's appointments before yours. Just ask some frank questions of the closer-in dealers before you buy.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Some dealers closer to you may have a policy of offering service to purchasing customers only or booking these customer's appointments before yours. Just ask some frank questions of the closer-in dealers before you buy.
X2 on this comment. It's a given that you will need to get the kinks worked out of a new unit so you'll be going to a dealer somewhere. Your savings will be eaten up fast if you have to go back to the dealer you purchased from.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with above points. The local dealer we bought our new DP from told us that they gave their own customers priority when scheduling service and bumped those appointments from others.

I had done a lot of on line research and showed them what dealers across the country were offering the coach I wanted for. I told them that I wanted to buy locally but wouldn't sell the farm to do it. They came within about $3K of matching the average offer I was was happy with paying that premium.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
There is one disadvantage I came accross when we bought ours. Some dealers closer to you may have a policy of offering service to purchasing customers only or booking these customer's appointments before yours. Just ask some frank questions of the closer-in dealers before you buy.
x3
we purchased our mh from a dealer 3 hrs away...but their service and support make it worth the trip ( free campsite if overnight, ease to schedule service etc)

our closet service center is only 30 minutes away but they are difficult as we didnt buy from them and they have a weird service policy about returning customers vice "others"
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Great advice. I think I've over-focused on price and need to bring the "local dealer" variable into my figuring. Its a little overwhelming to make that final decision and pull the trigger, but also a lot of fun to learn all of the nuances of making the first purchase. Thanks again for the input.
duane0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
our closet service center is only 30 minutes away but they are difficult as we didnt buy from them and they have a weird service policy about returning customers vice "others"
Perfectly legitimate too. Most factory warranties pay less than the prevailing rate and may even be lower than the actual cost. The service center you chose didn't make anything on the sale so why should they take a loss on servicing your rig?

When we ordered our present DSDP I checked with another dealer that had a good reputation, their price was about $2000 less, but they were in TX and we live in WA. We bought locally, if you can all 105 miles away "locally"!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now our Motorhome was trouble free and still is after 4 years. The GEN gave us big problems. Selling Dealer told me to see Cummins.... they fixed it (broken valve spring). Motorhome was never back to the Selling Dealer or a FORD Dealer. Went to my Automotive shop here for oilchange etc. I see the GEN Dealer (ONAN) once a year for service. Thats a 40 mile trip. 80 round.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a retired service manager, I can say for positive you will be put at the back of the line. This is not done in a punitive manner. It is for two reasons. # 1 any dealer is always going to take care of his regular customers first. # 2 the factory always adjusts the dealers bill. You are lucky to break even on a factory repair.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I purchased my unit on eBay. After trying at least six different dealers for a recurring problem, I decided that the only great service I was going to get was from the factory. I have had very slipshod work done. There are no experts in the service departments of dealers. The factory has an expert for everything. Gets fixed right the first time. That's my first stop every year. Cummins does the engine and generator. Spartan does the chassis.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

Here is what I did with a motorhome I bought so that I bought local and was the customer of a local dealer for service.

I found the mh I wanted bout 400 miles away, talked price, got price down to where I was happy. Met with local dealer, told him I would like to buy from him and I found this one 400 miles away. Asked him if he would do a dealer trade with the other dealer... this is what the price is..how much will you ask for above for doing the dealer trade and selling me the mh. Worked well for me and I had good local service.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #12

If one dealer can sell it for a price they all can, hold out tell them you found the same thing cheaper. Other dealers may not give you as good service on a unit they did not sell.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you are a long term traveler, then chances are you will have service work done far from home anyway. But if you do most of your travel locally or for periods of a few days or weeks, you are probably going to need your local dealer more often. If that's the case, distance becomes a factor.

Oddly, a dealer will sometimes move a distant traveler to the front of the queue to help them out, but will push a local owner to the back of the queue if they didn't buy there. And sometimes even if they did. Too many RV dealers don't manage their service business very well and treat it as a stepchild rather than a profit center.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Perfectly legitimate too. Most factory warranties pay less than the prevailing rate and may even be lower than the actual cost. The service center you chose didn't make anything on the sale so why should they take a loss on servicing your rig?

!
I never get this rationale. What difference does the customer make if youre losing money on ANY transaction?

Ill provide a service to anyone that pays my rate. I like some customers and dislike others... I wont lose money for ANY of them though.

In the same respect... my local dealers can NEVER even come close on pricing for parts or accessories. Plus they charge shipping or have to "order it". I can order it too... and not have to waste my time driving to the location to overpay them.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote