Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Is Door Striker Bolt Sliding Up and Down Normal?

Hi. The front door in our coach (Travel Supreme '41 DP) is not closing correctly because the door striker bolt slides up and down. When the door striker bolt slides down, the door locking mechanism doesn't clamp around it correctly and the door does not close completely. (This may be the cause the air leak issue posted here: Door Seal Air Leak.)

Below is a pic of our striker bolt and plate. Behind that large washer is a large hole in the striker plate with a pivot arm into which the striker bolt is screwed. The striker bolt slides up and down on the pivot arm. The seems very odd to me that the striker bolt would move up and down...

Is this normal? Should the door striker bolt slide up and down? If I locked it in place using a set screw or something like that, would that cause damage to the locking mechanism?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Inside the coach is a black plastic cover that appears to cover the striker bolt pivot. The cover has letters that say something like "PITL". Does this many anything to you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

This is normal. I had a clacking and very annoying noise in my door during travel, so I put a metal washer to lock that striker bolt and still had the noise. I stopped at Newmar. They removed my washer but the noise is still present.
See this post about a plastic washer:
Making the Dutch Star Cab Quiet (er)

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
This is normal. I had a clacking and very annoying noise in my door during travel, so I put a metal washer to lock that striker bolt and still had the noise. I stopped at Newmar. They removed my washer but the noise is still present.
See this post about a plastic washer:
Making the Dutch Star Cab Quiet (er)
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'm curious, what is the purpose of having the bolt slide up and down? I.e. why isn't it just locked down?

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

To be honest, I do not know. I suppose so the door can move slightly up and down as we're bouncing down the road.

I do know there is very little such free play to allow movement back and forth so the door remains shut tight.

When Newmar tried to get the noise out of my door they removed the wood frame along the inside perimeter of the door in order to get to the striker bolt to adjust it so the door would be snug.

I am definitely trying the plastic spacer and dearly hope the noise goes...
Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

I say no it should not move well at least mine doesn't.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan.....Some doors the strikers move, others don't. Your striker is identical to what Newmar uses and it's suppose to move. I'm the one that added the plastic washer and it has solved my door noises....so far.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
As DutchStarDon said, some bolts move, others don't. My old Monaco had a fixed bolt. My Entegra uses a door bolt like Newmar and it moves slightly. We accidently caught that bolt on our clothing once and when we shut the door to go out and eat it wouldn't close or latch. 3 hrs later, after I had taken the door apart and put it back together I discovered all I had to do was move the bolt back to the correct location. The only reason I figure it moves is to cut down on squeaking when such a large vehicle flexes.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

On many new coaches like the Entegra that sliding striker is part of the travel lock. And it locks in position when your driving to keep the door tighter. To test it leave the door open and put the coach in gear with the engine running and brake released if the striker jumps when you do that it is powered when driving. The idea is to let the door be easy to open and close when sitting and to lock it tight when traveling to reduce wind noise. Another advantage is the door will not bind due to leveling or twisting of the frame if the striker can move with the door.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

1mainiac, have you ever used a plastic washer to tighten up the striker as posted above (DS Don)? I just did and now my striker still moves up and down easily but is a lot more snug... I have had an intermittent clacking sound that will drive you nuts on some trips ever since I bought the coach. Newmar tried to fix it this spring with no success and I have had a friend come out with me on test drives to pin point the origin of the noise but when he comes out, never happens... If this solution works I owe DS Don a beverage if we ever get anywhere near each other!!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
HHIDan.......I think I had the same noise which led me to the plastic washer. It was like a hollow door knocker clacking inside the door. No rhythm, and only on certain roads. It didn't start until we had about 7K on the coach and on the way to Oregon. On the way home it got so bad I stopped twice to see what was going on.

I started my test to quiet the thing in an Oregon rest stop. I used strips of black electrical tape placed behind the metal washer. It still occurred but much less than before and only for short intervals. I decided the door post was torqueing and popping.

I added the plastic washer and not a sound on our last trip, but it was short. Time will tell.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #11

Folks,

Many thanks for the help.

Based on your feedback, I decided that the locking bolt should slide up and down. Upon close examination, the bolt slide mechanism was rusty. A bit of 3-in-One oil lubricated it nicely so that it easily slid up and down. Then the door opened and closed smoothly!

I don't know what I'd do without you folks.

Best regards,

Dan.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Your door/lock assembley was probably manufactured by PTL Engineering. See the following for information on adjustment from a motorhome owner and the copied printout from PTK for adjustment. Give them a call if you need more information. I've always found them very helpful.

PTL Preferred Door Latch Adjustment
Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhubbert3 View Post
Your door/lock assembley was probably manufactured by PTL Engineering. See the following for information on adjustment from a motorhome owner and the copied printout from PTK for adjustment. Give them a call if you need more information. I've always found them very helpful.

PTL Preferred Door Latch Adjustment
Bruce and Donna,

Thanks for the great link. After oiling, the mechanism slides up and down smoothly, and the door latches tightly. That said, there is still wind noise at the top front of the door, so I may try adjusting the cams.

Many thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #14

That is a good link. Wish one could pull the PTL assembly out thru the striker plate. On my door there is a large piece of wood trim all around the door. In order to take the trim off I have to drill out about twelve button plugs to access the screws. And yes after it goes back in, need new plugs and possibly varnish...

Tags
door