Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Is Fuel Line from Tank To Gen Gravity Feed?

I have an 87 Southwind with an Onan 4.0 BGE gen. I was wondering if the line from the rv gas tank to the gen was gravity feed? I know the gen has a fuel pump, I added an inline fuel filter under the rv and noticed that the gas did not flow out like I thought it would when I cut the fuel line, RV has a full tank of gas.The gen is acting up, runs great for awile and quits, then very hard to start or won't start at all, just trouble shoot'n. Looks like a real bear to pull it out. Thanks for any info.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
There is usually only the fuel pump at the generator that will suck the fuel from the tank. Sounds like you might have a bad fuel line connection at the tank. The connection at the tank is usually a short piece of rubber fuel line. It could be that piece of rubber line is old, cracked and sucking air when the generator is trying to run.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
dillon.....If your fuel line is original, it may have a hole in it. Its common for the hose to start leaking and suck air. It will run for awhile and after its sucked enough air it will quit. After sitting for awhile, the gen will often start again.

You can also test the hose by cutting it close to the generator and placing it in a 5 gallon gas can. Start the generator and see if it continues to run. If it does, the hose is probably bad. If it doesn't, you may have a weak fuel pump.

If your generator is the pancake model, low/flat style in a storage bay, they have two bolts at the top on the side closest to you when looking at the generator. Loosen/remove the two bolts and the generator will pivot down on a hinge giving you access to all of the components. Use a floor jack to lower it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Dillon, the fuel line goes into the tank at the TOP and then down inside the tank to a determined level. This does two things,1. if you get a cut in the line it won't drain the tank. 2. you can't run the tank empty by running the gen. Usually a gen will run out of gas-fuel at about a 1/4 tank so you will be able to still drive the MH. Let us know what you find.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

Sounds like the symptoms of a bad hose or weak fuel pump. It looks like it but does the rv gas tank have to be lowered to replace the gen fuel line? I just see it routing to the top of the gas tank then out of eye sight, is there normally a metal hose connection on top of the tank? Like you were saying Don it is compact where it is mounted, I could barely get a new air cleaner on it, had about an inch clearance on the right side. It does have what appears to look like 2 brass colored hinges on the rear mount with smaller bolts holding them in place. I will have to give it a try, I have to get to the other spark plug to change it and it seemed like the gen would have to come out to do that. Do any of the rear mount bolts have to come out to get it to pivot? It looks like the gen would have to be removed to get the fuel pump changed out if that is the case but the hose does look original. thanks again everyone for your help.
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank