Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is Good Sam Extended Warranty Non-existent Coverage?

The friend who sold us our Fleetwood gushed about the Extended Warranty coverage that was fully transferrable. Indeed, it was placed in our names after December and we've paid $100 per month since.

The policy is written to exclude seals and gaskets past 65,000 miles.

I took the rig in for a check of the front end at the Spartan-authorized shop, it needs a front suspension arm; they attempted to place a claim with Good Sam.

Problem is, Good Sam says the wear traces back to a split boot on the ball joint, hence it is considered a failure of a seal or gasket.

Get it? That sets a whopping precedent: how many other failures you can experience in your RV that could be traced back to seals and gaskets, according to this logic?

Therefore, many of us are paying Good Sam for coverage that is virtually useless. I've sacrificed $600 in premiums PLUS the cost of repairing the front suspension of my rig to learn this lesson.

Of course, Good Sam cheerfully told me that for a mere $20 extra a month, I might've been spared all this grief by electing to purchase additional coverage. If only I'd known they'd resort to this way of thinking...

For those who have rigs with miles on them, this might be a call to action. Make sure you cannot be similarly denied.

Can anyone share the name of a more reputable provider who'll not pull this stunt on its customers?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
The friend who sold us our Fleetwood gushed about the Extended Warranty coverage that was fully transferrable. Indeed, it was placed in our names after December and we've paid $100 per month since.

The policy is written to exclude seals and gaskets past 65,000 miles.

I took the rig in for a check of the front end at the Spartan-authorized shop, it needs a front suspension arm; they attempted to place a claim with Good Sam.

Problem is, Good Sam says the wear traces back to a split boot on the ball joint, hence it is considered a failure of a seal or gasket.

Get it? That sets a whopping precedent: how many other failures you can experience in your RV that could be traced back to seals and gaskets, according to this logic?

Therefore, many of us are paying Good Sam for coverage that is virtually useless. I've sacrificed $600 in premiums PLUS the cost of repairing the front suspension of my rig to learn this lesson.

Of course, Good Sam cheerfully told me that for a mere $20 extra a month, I might've been spared all this grief by electing to purchase additional coverage. If only I'd known they'd resort to this way of thinking...

For those who have rigs with miles on them, this might be a call to action. Make sure you cannot be similarly denied.

Can anyone share the name of a more reputable provider who'll not pull this stunt on its customers?
Good Sam is not really GOOD !!!
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of info available on the forum if you search on warranties. You will read alot about those that "self insure." For me, the waranty route offers peace of mind and I believe them to be worth the cost. I hope this won't turn into another thread debating the relative merits of to buy/not buy warranties.

My current warranty expires next week (American Guardian) that I bought in 2007, so I have spent the last couple weeks researching and getting quotes from various companies. My 2003 Itasca has 22,300 miles on it at this time. I decided on the 4yr, 48,000 mile (additional miles) coverage through Go RV as it was substantially less expensive for more coverage than GS. Policy is also transferable and renewable.

As I am also replacing my tires in the next couple weeks, I also elected to purchase the 7 yr tire and wheel policy for $350 (one time payment/$0 deductable.)

Coach waranty was almost half of GS's quote and includes the seals, and a $100 deductable Vs GS's quoted $500 deductable. Additionally, it includes replacement of covered parts damaged by uncovered parts and vice versa (most policies do not include this). You also need to pay attention to the terms inclusionary policy or exclusionary policy. The Go RV'n site explains the difference.

And yes, I did find some disgruntled buyers and one in particular who plastered the internet with his complaint concerning being turned down for pre-existing conditions. However, when you really drilled down, it became clear he was attempting to claim major repairs of known issues with his motorhome at the time he bought the policy. Of note, I did not find any company that did not have complaints.

My experience has been that my first 4 year warranty costs were more that covered by repair costs that were paid by the warranty. Replacement of both of the heat pumps compressors and replacement of the Actia display were major costs that were covered.

Just my $.02, and worth exactly that.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just about all extended warranty policies exclude what is called consequential damages, e.g. a part that failed as result of another part failure. The classic example is an engine that seized up due to a failed thermostat in the cooling system. A coolant thermostat is considered a maintenance item and not covered, so no payout for a hugely expensive repair.

Ditto for rubber boots and failing seals in rear axles. Excluding all seals is a clever way to reduce the policy payout substantially without seeming to be restricting coverage very much. Non-technical people can read the policy, but don't really understand the ramifications of the various exclusions. Then they get surprised like this.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just about all extended warranty policies exclude what is called consequential damages, e.g. a part that failed as result of another part failure. The classic example is an engine that seized up due to a failed thermostat in the cooling system. A coolant thermostat is considered a maintenance item and not covered, so no payout for a hugely expensive repair.

Ditto for rubber boots and failing seals in rear axles. Excluding all seals is a clever way to reduce the policy payout substantially without seeming to be restricting coverage very much. Non-technical people can read the policy, but don't really understand the ramifications of the various exclusions. Then they get surprised like this.
Gary - totally agree and that is what my research reflected. That, coupled with a lower price, is why I elected to purchase the Go RV coverage, which includes replacement of covered parts damaged by uncovered parts and vice versa (consequential damage). Policy also covers boots and seals. Pays to read, research and understand each policy.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

My ESP policy as well as the Good Sam web site state that the standard policy covers seals and gaskets up to 70,000 miles or 7 model years. Extra charge takes it to 150,000 miles and 16 years. Might be worth another call to GS to question why the difference (65,000 miles).

I realize it may not make a difference as I don't know how many miles are on your coach.