Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Is it just me...

Is it just me, or are most of the Forum questions and problems about motorhomes? I've been a member of this group for a while now and it seems like there are more and more MH questions popping up then any other RV.

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Well...IMHO they are getting more complex every year. Around 4000 systems combined together to bring in a 250-400K coach. Pretty technical integration process and engineering.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's just you!......Kidding....I agree with DSL147. TT's and Fifth wheels really don't have a lot of moving parts/systems.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Plus I think that as a whole, the general group buying Motorhomes are not as mechanically savvy. I see it happening with expensive sports cars too.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I find that people jump into RVing without any idea of what they have gotten themselves into.
Its great that they come on the forum to ask a question but its maybe to late for the situation or trouble they have gotten themselves into.
We do have newbies that do their homework and ask before buying which make it easier all around, just doesn't happen in most cases.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
Is it just me, or are most of the Forum questions and problems about motorhomes? I've been a member of this group for a while now and it seems like there are more and more MH questions popping up then any other RV.

Are you referring to the entire site, or just to this particular forum? This forum is "MH-General Discussion", which obviously only deals with motorhomes.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excuse me?

Not mechanically savvy? Really?

You only need to look at the mods folks are doing to disprove that. Plus there's a lot more mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, computerized whiz bang stuff going on in a motorhome than you'll find in any TT or Fiver. I thought it would be an easy transition going from a fifth wheel to a MH. Holy crap was I wrong. Trailers are tinker toys in comparison and I found out real quick how much more I needed to learn.

I do almost everything on my own coach and I know there are lots of folks like me on this forum. The only time my coach goes into the shop is when I know the parts are going to be mongo expensive and insurance will pick up most of it.

Maybe it's that we're all so bloody rich (NOT ME) that we can afford to pay someone else to do it? ...... Nah!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Are you referring to the entire site, or just to this particular forum? This forum is "MH-General Discussion", which obviously only deals with motorhomes.

Talking about the entire site!
G
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Not mechanically savvy? Really?

You only need to look at the mods folks are doing to disprove that.
Maybe I was unclear. Phrasing it differently, taken as a whole, I think that on average motorhomes are purchased by a greater portion of non-mechanical income earners (read white collar) than are the much lesser expensive TTs. I feel that this is predominantly because of price and the lack of a need (or possession) of a tow vehicle. As the entry fee rises and the amount of blue collar high wage earners drop, this will only increase.

Nowhere did I intimate that one does not need to be mechanical or that there are not some incredibly talented people who own them, just that the numbers are changing.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #10

We live in an Information Age. Sure a lot of people use the forums but where do they learn? They don't pick a book any more that's to easy when you can use the search engines. I am an engineer and I pride myself in understanding each box and system in an RV. Most folks now adays would rather call in an expert and pay them. I spent six years on a Nuc submarine and there was no Radio Shack so we had to learn every system in detail. The same is true for RVs. If there was no cell phone or Internet then the owners of RV's would be forced to learn the systems and be more self reliant.
I have spent more time fixing others rigs because they would not read the manual or even perform simple maintenance. I have been reading this forum for years and never joined. It was exciting to read some of the questions and the replies. I almost forgot about this site until I was looking for a new rig. I must say to the moderators and to the others who reply in a positive way to those in need of assistance that yourknowledge has helped many. It's better tech support then going to the actual company sites. Keep on posting!

-Brian.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #11

Yes. It is more about MHs. They have more stuff in them.
Any other discussion does not seem relevant.

I have l have learned more on this forum than I learned in my my previous 18 years with MHs.

I dont have all of the answers. But I know most of the questions. And I will ask what I must, and answer what I can.

So, what do you think about rope lights?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I think PUSHED AROUND is pretty close - I bet a good percentage of the MH folks I know (at least half) are financially solid and won't even TRY to work on their rigs - they just bring it down to the shop and wait for the "OK Mr Shwartz, it's ready" phone call.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
I think PUSHED AROUND is pretty close - I bet a good percentage of the MH folks I know (at least half) are financially solid and won't even TRY to work on their rigs - they just bring it down to the shop and wait for the "OK Mr Shwartz, it's ready" phone call.
Or they could be like me. Retired and have the ability and tools to do most any maintenance issue but lost some of my health. Had to get away from our fifthwheel and get a motorhome. So,,,, Cummins South does my oil changes, chassis issues and Ben's RV does my repairs at a very reasonable price.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #14

Most Popular Forums

Winnebago... 130814
Class A Motorhome... 122987
iRV2.com General... 119835
Monaco Owner's... 93692
Workhorse and... 78598
Newmar Owner's... 78149
MH-General... 75427
Just Conversation 71275
New Member... 57530
Alpine Coach Forum 44096