Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Is length a real issue at campgrounds/park

Thinking of buying a long rig (40+ feet). The biggest concern is how hard it will be to find places to stay that can handle that long of a rig (not to mention the extra tow vehicle). Do most campgrounds and parks accommodate long rigs nowadays? Interested on comments for nationwide as we plan to do a lot of traveling all over the country.

Regards.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

Just did a quick search of "Big Rig Accommodations" and found this one with a Link to a Big Rig Book and some other online links. Hope this helps...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/big-...ns-127416.html

Bill
merc669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We rarely have a problem except for many of the CA State Parks.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 42ft coach which is actually 43.5ft. We cannot use many government parks and older RV parks, but for us the extra coach space outweighs the inconvenience.

I do recommend sticking with "Big Rig Friendly" parks, we've only had 1 issue in a Big Rig Friendly park where they gave us a pull through that had a curve around a tree that we could not pull through (ended up leaving in slides and backing out of the spot the next am).
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
As stated, many county, state, and national park campgrounds can't accommodate longer rigs. We had to do careful parking in some parks with our 30 footer + toad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does this meas that bigger is better???
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
As a rule, the older the park the shorter/narrower the spaces. This is especially true in National parks, many of which were built by the CCC. This works to our advantage (class B) but I have seen parks where your average motor-subdivision would never be able to fit.

- Randy
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

We have been in some parks where our 30 footer was a tight fit. As mentioned above the older the park the tighter the fit.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Many do these days and some don't. Most that do not or are limited are municiple, county, state and federal parks. Smaller private CGs with limited hookups are usually small sites too.

With trailer in tow, we are 52ft long. It's very rare we can't find a site that can fit us without unhooking the trailer. Those that haven't, there is room on the site for the trailer or a TV. On a few occasions, they gave us a storage lot for the trailer. This can be elinimated by calling or planning ahead. This is what we do now via several smart phone apps we keep handy.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #10

Most of the State Parks in Florida can now handle 40 ft. coaches. Ours is just under 38 ft. However, many of the sites are somewhat difficult to back into without careful attention to branches and scrubs. Ours is 15 years old and a minor scratch is not traumatic but if it was a new RV I'd be extremely cautious about site WIDTH as well as length. Some sites are "iffy" about whether multi slides can be deployed.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #11

Are the bigger coaches taller? I have a 36 ft, and find low limbs the main thing I have to watch out for.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

We have no problems with ours.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Yes. My coach is 45 feet and 12 foot 10 inches high. My last coach was 41 feet and 12'0" high. The extra 10 inches is a big deal in some places. The length not so much. The problem is you can't know in advance if there will be low branches, so you can't plan around it. I wish my coach were less tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Are the bigger coaches taller? I have a 36 ft, and find low limbs the main thing I have to watch out for.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

I'm about to find out if it is going to be an issue or not. Just traded our 36LA for a Phaeton 42LH. When in the 36LA we didn't have any problems fitting in any of the several Florida state parks we visited. All but perhaps one or two I could have easily parked this 42 footer in the site they gave us and there were other sites that were bigger. However, we shall see.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote