Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Is there an issue with multiple hitch extensions?

I'm looking at getting a ReadyBreak as a break assist solution. I would also like to have a double hitch to add a bike rack. Since both of these add length to the hitch, I'm wondering if the extra length and towing a vehicle will add additional stress to the hitch and/or connections?
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisName View Post
I'm looking at getting a ReadyBreak as a break assist solution. I would also like to have a double hitch to add a bike rack. Since both of these add length to the hitch, I'm wondering if the extra length and towing a vehicle will add additional stress to the hitch and/or connections?
I would think if you figure out what you plan to use and give the hitch manufacturer or MH manufacturer (or both) a call, you will get the best answer for that one. Have the weight of your toad ready also, I'm sure they will want to know. Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm confused...explain a double hitch to me. Side by side??
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm confused...explain a double hitch to me. Side by side??
MaxxHaul 70070 Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 lbs. GTW Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE09PM..._NugFybEXM2YS3
Vertical, one over the other. Tow bar connected to bottom, bike rack connected to top.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't access the link, but I it's simply a dual reciever adapter. Many people using similar methinks. Need to ensure it has ample rated capacity. An alternative is a bike rack that connects by strattling the towbar shank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #6

I have been using a Roadmaster Dual Hitch Adapter for 3 years now with no problems at all.
Top receiver has a Curt Spare Tire Carrier and a full size spare tire and rim.
Bottom receiver used to tow our Subaru Crosstrek.
Adds about a foot in extra length, but have experienced no difference between using it and towing without it.
Chose the Roadmaster as it's about the best one out. Rated at 10,000 pull and 400 carrying. Lot heavier than the imported stuff.
Grumpy..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	149236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	149237  

grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Cool

I don't think it creates any issues with 'multiple' extensions, unlike when towing a trailer where there is downward weight on the hitch - a toad tow bar system is only an extension of the hitch itself...

we use a 8" drop extension(in the upside down position to bring the hitch height 'up' to meet our tow bar height for our Fiesta), a 4-bike dual hitch receiver extension for our 4 bikes, and the BlueOxAlpha tow bar setup...
I believe the dual hitch and bike rack were both off-the-shelf at Walmart...

no problems at all in over 50,000 miles of towing...

we have a 10,000 lb hitch, and the extensions, bikes, and toad only weight in at about 2,700 lbs total...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiesta and bikes.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	149244  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

WhatsHisName-

Consider carrying bikes on the rear of the toad. Easier to access, bikes go with the toad to the trailhead, no complication at the towbar end.

Check the installation/owner's manual for the towbar, and the coach's owner's manual, to see if there are prohibitions on the number or size of drop hitches/extensions.

You also have the option of using the ReadyBrute Elite instead of the ReadyBrake.

Whatever you decide, something to control play in the connections can help. I use the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch(es) to eliminate play.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

We use the Roadmaster spare tire carrier which is in effect an additional hitch extension, with the spare tire holder coming out the top and the receiver for the standard hitch for the toad out the bottom. Try to make the arrangement in as straight a line as possible, avoiding ups and downs unless absolutely needed. Also be aware that every connection has it's own "slop" or slight undersize/oversize that allows you to easily install/remove. These move around as you accelerate and brake putting a slight "hammering" affect on your connecting pins. I periodically inspect my connecting pins for wear and the holes for elongation as well.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #10

The added length will add to the lateral force against the hitch. Most gas MHs have a lot of rear end hanging out past the rear axle. Make a sharp turn, the rear swings out the other way. The hitch must force the toad in that direction as well. The farther the toad is from the rear axle the farther it must be forced over. Make a slow speed sharp turn and you may be literally dragging the front tires across the pavement as the wheels don't have time to react and turn in the direction of travel. Now figure in the effect of leverage and that additional length also adds to the lateral force on the receiver.

Having said that, I have a drop receiver that adds close to a foot ln length and have towed like that for over 10,000 miles with no issues. I did just drill new holes in the drop receiver and tow bar to shorten things up. Like I said no issues but why add to the stress on the hitch.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have what your talking about. I needed a drop down hitch for my rig and I welded a straight one on top of the drop down one for my bike rack. Then I had to add to add a 8in extension to the drop down to get the toad a little further back so it wouldn't hit the bike tires in a sharp turn. Been using it for over a year and no issues to date... love the ready break system.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I have what your talking about. I needed a drop down hitch for my rig and I welded a straight one on top of the drop down one for my bike rack. Then I had to add to add a 8in extension to the drop down to get the toad a little further back so it wouldn't hit the bike tires in a sharp turn. Been using it for over a year and no issues to date... love the ready break system.
Did the exact same thing. We carry two electric bikes (50lbs each) on a 1upusa bike rack and have the ready brake system. Three years and no problems.

Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to Etrailer.com FAQs, adding a hitch extender reduces the usable tow and tongue weight ratings by 50%. A dual hitch adaptor is, in effect, an extension.

BTW, I use the dual hitch adaptor and a 2" longer tow bar shank for carrying my bikes and bumper clearance of the toad. Since I flat tow I'm not remotely worried about tongue weight. OTOH given the extension and longer shank I would be a tad bit concerned if I was towing something bigger than our CRV.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitch-a...extenders.aspx
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is something I've done on my last two motor homes. I added a second receiver to the OEM receiver. I had a hitch shop weld it on. It solves height issues with all of the heavy adapters and adding length to the assembly.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote