RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #15

I pulled into a Meijer fuel island to fuel the toad at the center pump. When I went to reach for the handle noticed it was yellow and then read the pump, it was kerosene. Would not have worked well in the Tracker!
Guess a lot of folks here in Michigan have kerosene heater or something.

leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Always read the pump label.

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Went to fill up in Oregon with Diesel pusher. The attendant came over and grabbed the pump handle of regular fuel and said how much. Never assume always make sure or it will be a long day.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oregon law requires an attendant to pump fuel. I thought it did not apply to diesel.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #19

Saw a post once from someone who fueled up his diesel pusher at a BP station. Used the green handle assuming it was diesel but it was NOT diesel. Turns out that green is BPs corporate color. The yellow handle was diesel. He was furious that he pumped regular gas and wanted to sue the station. It was his fault for not verifying what he was pumping. Always look at the pump not the color of the handle.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
No - there have been fuel inspection checkpoints where they will require every diesel vehicle to pull over and have their fuel tank dipped with a test strip.

This happens more in heavy farm country than on the highway, but it CAN happen. Don't run red fuel, it just isn't worth the risk.

All diesel fuel in the USA is the same grade, and ALL of it is ULSD 40 cetane rotgut.

Most diesel now has about 10% biodiesel in it - this is a GOOD thing as it adds to the lubricity of the fuel and increases the cetane rating, making the engine run better. Every engine can handle up to 15% biodiesel, the manufacturers are only issuing concerns about high concentrations. The 10-15% is being required by the states and done at the refinery level so it will not cause problems.

As has been said before, NEVER TRUST THE HANDLE COLOR. Always check the pump before taking on a drop! Gasoline or E85 handles might fit... But your engine will certainly not like what comes from those, no matter what the handle color was.
That's a real knee slapper. Never in my 68 years have I ever saw fuel inspection of any vehicles. Where do people come up with this stuff?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Oregon law requires an attendant to pump fuel. I thought it did not apply to diesel.
It don't apply to diesel.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
That's a real knee slapper. Never in my 68 years have I ever saw fuel inspection of any vehicles. Where do people come up with this stuff?
It may be a knee slapper to you, but I can assure you they occur. They are very common in agricultural areas where lots of red dye diesel is used. Get caught with red dye diesel in a road vehicle and it will be an expensive lesson. I have had my tank "sticked" on multiple occasions.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #23

Not every state or station is the same.

Here in Wisconsin there are often two types of diesel being sold at the truck lanes. Last week I was at a Kwik Trip and their pumps had 'regular' diesel on one nozzle which was 10% biodiesel. The other nozzle was 'premium' diesel which did not have the biodiesel.

In the colder season you'll often see one of the nozzles selling fuel with more winter additives in it than the other, which is really handy if you're driving in sub-zero conditions.

Always pays to read the labels. If you're ever unsure what's in the tank ask the attendant BEFORE you pump it in.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG N. AL View Post
It may be a knee slapper to you, but I can assure you they occur. They are very common in agricultural areas where lots of red dye diesel is used. Get caught with red dye diesel in a road vehicle and it will be an expensive lesson. I have had my tank "sticked" on multiple occasions.
Yep, if you go to many of the livestock auctions (sale barns) and watch, every now and then you will see the revenue enforcement guys out "dipping tanks". Word gets out pretty quickly once they show up.

That dye is very tenacious. It can be diluted and diluted, but will still show light red after many tankfuls.

Just because you live a very secluded life and aren't aware of some enforcement activities that have been going on for years doesn't mean that everyone else is stupid.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
I have to chuckle. At the very moment I write this the motor carrier police are stopping diesel trucks and checking their fuel tanks (among other things I’d guess) just a little less than a mile from where I’m sitting. Been going on for over an hour. Whether they’d check an rv I don’t know, but I’m not about to be the one to put myself in position to worry if they did. Heck, I’d probably be tempted to talk them into weighing my four corners as long as we are all there.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Provided the station allows it, you can pump your own diesel in Oregon. Not many do though and you have to watch them like a hawk to make sure the don’t pump you full of gas.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I remember back when times were hard and many of us heated with Kerosene. The trucks kept filling with the cheaper Kero (no road tax) and many stores got in trouble. They had to erect barriers around the pumps and a lot of folks came in and filled many many cans to take home and fill trucks.
stations around here fixed that problem by installing hoses that won't even reach the ground. AND raised the price up to where it is Equal to diesel.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
How you going to be caught? Have some lazyass bureaucrat crawl in your fuel tank with a flashlight.
In California they set up inspection stations off the major highways and actually dip into your fuel tank to check it.

My daughter works in Agriculture and travels to many farms. She has run into a couple of them.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel