Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
How you going to be caught? Have some lazyass bureaucrat crawl in your fuel tank with a flashlight.
Why do people get so upset when laws like this are enforced?

All fuel being used for over-the-road purposes is supposed to have road taxes paid. Fuel for ag use and reefer use do not. If there was not enforcement you can be sure that more drivers would be using the non-taxed fuel for over-the-road purposes.

I for one do not want to be the only one left paying for the taxed fuel. Everyone needs to pay their fair share, and enforcement actions are how this is ensured.

Here in Wisconsin they do spot checks to be sure that there is not dyed fuel in the OTR tanks. Get caught and you'll pay through the nose. Good for them to keep enforcement up on this so people stop cheating the system.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #30

I bought a fair amount of dyed diesel for a towable generator that I owned for a while - rented it out to film projects, they might run it through 60 gallons in a weekend. I quit caring about the red fuel when the rack that I was buying it at figured out they could maximize their own profits, and started charging within 5 cents of the taxed price for the stuff! It HAD been 55 cents cheaper.

The savings wasn't worth the hassle of their location (out of my way) and the filth around the setup b/c this was a rack for BIG construction tanks to fuel up. Those guys made a mess.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
That is standard here. Green handle is diesel and yellow handle is E85. Does the vehicle run ok after putting in E85 instead of diesel? I would not think it would run.

not in TEXAS - many diesel are yellow here - thx all for the discussion as we are about to make a multi-state trip and you might have saved me a headache
RAM 305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 AM   #32

Funny - there are standards for fuel cans (red=gasoline, yellow=diesel, blue=kerosene) but there are no standards at all for nozzles at the pumps.

Since most states allow drivers to pump their own fuel, it would seem like we'd have standard colors. But no, we don't. I've actually seen multiple color nozzle covers used at the same station for one type of fuel.

It's critical that everyone double check the pump label to be certain you're pumping what you think you are pumping before the nozzle enters your tank.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #33

Ignore handle color!!

I pulled into a typical somewhat large gas station, with the usual stand of islands out front, and a high roofed set of 2 pumps off the side and a sign that had the word diesel on it. I assumed those to be for diesel trucks and filled up without thinking about it.

I drove the 5 miles or so back to RV park no problem. Next morning went to hook up and engine just turned and turned and didn't start. After thinking about it I pulled out my receipt and sure enough it said unleaded gas.

After about 4 hours being towed, and having tank completely drained and properly filled, we got to be on our way.

Boy do I look carefully now.
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Yellow means diesel. All over the road diesel sold at truck stops and filling stations meet the legal low sulfur spec. Only diesel that doesn’t as far as I know is farm diesel and that has red die in it and is clearly marked on the pump
Off road diesel that is dyed red is the exact same diesel that we run in our RVs. The reason it’s red is because it is is exempt from highway taxes. If you put it in your RV it will permanently die your fuel filters red. If then you have its serviced the company servicing it is required by law to report the VIN to the states’ DOT when they find your red fuel filter. Huge fine follows!!
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #35

As someone said, don’t go by nozzle color, I once pumped gas into my diesel car “not good” as the dealer told me ( I know what he was really saying) hahaha

Zzotte
Old 08-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #36

Yellow Handle

We have just returned to the US from Canada. Every diesel pump I feed money into had a yellow handle. Don't go by the color.
dtgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #37

In Florida if you see a State Trooper driving a Tahoe he can and sometimes will pull into a rest area and inspect your diesel fuel tank. He is a commercial compliance Trooper and deals mostly with heavy duty vehicles. And Yes, he will ticket you for using red color diesel in a road vehicle, dont’t ask me how I know. I was riding with a friend who also had a big farm and filled up the motorhome from his farm tank before we left to go to a Daytona NASCAR race....Could have purchased 2 new front steer tires for what the ticket cost him....Live and Learn..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
How you going to be caught? Have some lazyass bureaucrat crawl in your fuel tank with a flashlight.
If you put it in your RV it will permanently die your fuel filters red. If then you have its serviced the company servicing it is required by law to report the VIN to the states’ DOT when they find your red fuel filter. Huge fine follows!!
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #39

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Please someone set my mind at ease. I must run Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel or the Vengeful gods of catalytic converters will smite me in the wallet! QA lable on the car pumps tells me that it is what I am buying. None of the truck pumps do. One I used today even had a yellow handle instead of green. Are these safe???
Kahoona...

Other considerations when fueling include the following...

1. Some pumps are labeled "Diesel 1" or "Diesel 2". Diesel 2 is the one to use in motorhomes.

2. When fueling in the truck lanes at truck stops you may be prompted by the pumps for "Tractor" or "Reefer" or "Both". Diesel RV's use "Tractor" only. Press "Skip" to get past prompts for Reefer or Both.

3. Yet another selection on the pump is "DEF", or Diesel Exhaust Fluid. This is not a fuel additive, rather there is a separate tank for it in your coach. It is required on newer diesels (2010 and newer as I recall). If in doubt if your coach requires it, check your manuals or contact your coach or chassis manufacturer. As above, if you aren't dispensing DEF, just press "Skip" to bet past the prompt.

Finally, here's a web page with an explanation of the fuel types and when/why to use them....

Understanding The Differences Between Diesel Fuel Grades
SRS-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
That is standard here. Green handle is diesel and yellow handle is E85. Does the vehicle run ok after putting in E85 instead of diesel? I would not think it would run.

Yes that is the standard. But I have been to stations with yellow diesel handles. Always check!
Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS-Ohio View Post
Kahoona...

Other considerations when fueling include the following...

1. Some pumps are labeled "Diesel 1" or "Diesel 2". Diesel 2 is the one to use in motorhomes...

Finally, here's a web page with an explanation of the fuel types and when/why to use them....

Understanding The Differences Between Diesel Fuel Grades
Diesel #2 is usually what's used in motor homes, but not always.

Anyone operating in cold weather (northern cold, not the stuff found down south) would be well advised to research this further. I run #1 fuel in my step van in the winter up here in Wisconsin, and if I were planning to operate our coach over the winter I'd also be running #1 in it.

Best advice is to follow the recommendations of the engine manufacturer for the operating conditions.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #42

Better than a head slap!

Quote:
That's a real knee slapper. Never in my 68 years have I ever saw fuel inspection of any vehicles. Where do people come up with this stuff?
Here in the great Keystone state we see news articles every winter about the State Police citing truckers for running untaxed diesel. I can’t recall ever seeing a privately owned RV being cited but I believe it could happen.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel