Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I officially purchased my 2014 Thor 34e Hurricane from Camping World in Anniston, AL. I did that only because they had an "old inventory" model for $48,000 below their originally posted MSRP! Making it worth a 6 day "mini vacation" in Orlando and then quickly driving it home across the country in 4 days to get back to work!

I live in CA, and had all warranty work performed by Thor dealerships that were conveniently located close to my home. I had to babysit them, and only took in my coach after; 1. Thor authorizations were approved. 2. The correct parts were in stock and verified by both the technician and the service writer. 3. The exact day, time, and technicians required for work to be performed were scheduled and agreed upon in writing.

My entire overhead bunk Schwintek slide rails/motors/support cables removed and replaced under warranty in one morning. Performed by Mike Thompson's RV, in Santa Fe Springs, CA.

All of my other warranty work was performed in one day, (replacement of entry steps, bathroom electric motors, inflatable sofa bed, door entry Thor logo jewel decal, new key set). And they washed and waxed the coach. Performed by the now defunct, (closed due to bankruptcy), McMahon's RV in Westminster, CA.

The Thor dealerships performed the warranty work fairly fast, efficient, (with my significant babysitting and handholding), and no lost time without my motorhome.

Based on all the horror stories I have read online since 2004 about Camping World service, (and the pile up of RVs waiting for service that I see at my local store), I would NEVER take my RV there for any service or installation.

In my opinion, Camping World is only good for selling the RV, and RV supplies that you need right now that Walmart doesn't carry, or you don't have the time to wait for from shopping online.

Their in-store clearance stuff is OK if it's something you need, (it's priced about what you will normally find online).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #16

My issue is not with Thor or the product. I would expect there to be issues with any RV just like a new house or car. My issue is that CW had my RV for 170+ days. They had no regard with getting it back to me. They never called me about the progress. There are no logistics in scheduling the repairs. They just have so much business that they do not care!

The service rep in charge of my repairs and the service manager make no attempt to make sure the repairs are done correctly or even done at all. As a person in the customer service business I could not live with myself if I treated customers that way.

As for doing my research before purchasing, I did not. I got caught up in the finding the RV that I wanted and didn't do my homework. Shame on me for that one.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:55 AM   #17

FWIW it's not just CW. Their major claim to fame is the size of the network helps set the volume of complaints.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The transmission problem you speak of sound like normal on the ford chassis. They rev like crazy and the shifts are very delayed. This can be remedied by installing a five star tune on the vehicle. The auto level control coming on is most likely due to the reservoir being low from the leak. Have you turned on the water valve for the ice maker? Its behind the fridge access cover on the outside of the motorhome. The rest seem like simple adjustments and normal for a new coach. What isn't normal is that with all the time it spent waiting for body work, the little things should have been finished.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
The transmission problem you speak of sound like normal on the ford chassis. They rev like crazy and the shifts are very delayed. This can be remedied by installing a five star tune on the vehicle. The auto level control coming on is most likely due to the reservoir being low from the leak. Have you turned on the water valve for the ice maker? Its behind the fridge access cover on the outside of the motorhome. The rest seem like simple adjustments and normal for a new coach. What isn't normal is that with all the time it spent waiting for body work, the little things should have been finished.
The ice maker install was not factory but after-market install by CW. There is no fridge access on the outside from what I can tell.

Thanks for the info on the five star tune. I'll give that a try.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2015 Fleetwood that is new to us. The icemaker was not working and the manual tells you NOTHING about anything really. I looked inside and out. Finally pulled out the drawers under the stovetop and there was the shutoff to the icemaker. Works fine now.

As far as camping world repairs and maintenance goes, I think they must all be just horrible. They are not owned by camping world and camping world does not seem to care how poor the service is. Our first and last experience with them was having a base plate and light kit installed on our Honda CRV. (Dover Florida location) NEVER ever would I go back there. The store is separate and they seem to be fine. The rest of camping world needs to go away.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #21

There must be a hatch on the exterior behind the frig. It is the only way air can circulate (by convection) to cool the heated plumbing of the cooling unit.
I am quite familiar with CW of Indy. The guys behind the counter are service writers, nothing more. The have no authority to order parts, schedule work, etc.
FWIW, this business is actually Stouts RV dba Camping World of Indianapolis. Mark Boswell is the service manager, Jeff Nickell is the regional manager for multiple stores but has his office at the Greenwood, IN location.
It does absolutely no good to give the service writers a hard time, talk to Mark Boswell, he is trying, but completely overwhelmed by the volume of work they perform. I think they only have one RV technician who has been there more than 2 years, he knows his stuff, but he's been sidelined with rotator-cuff surgery most of the summer.
When you make an appt. with CW for repairs, you are not making an appt. for work to begin, you made an appt. to drop it off. Then it's put in-line on the schedule board.
If you can't tell, I feel as you about this store.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #22

For the OP, your experience has to be among the most miserable I've heard or read about. Under the circumstances, your attitude about this whole matter to include the problems with your coach is more stable than mine would have been! Best of luck.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #23

FWIW Camping World is a mix of owned and franchised locations. One really does not know who is running things walking in. In upstate NY Meyers owns Rochester, Bath and I think Syracuse. Not sure who claims Buffalo. If one has a choice Bath seems to have their act together the best.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #24

Good news, I think!!!. Thanks to the suggestion for posting on RV.net, I received a call for CW headquarters. They were going to make sure everything is fixed correctly and Indy makes good on it. They wanted to let the store attempt to take care of it before they took over.

On Friday, Mark Boswell, service manager, called me and appologized up and down for the problems that I have had. He offered to allow me to take my RV to another shop but really wanted the chance to make it right. My gut was to say no, but I always give someone a chance to redeem themselves.

They are going to pick up the RV next week and he promised to have it back to me quickly. We will see, I guess.

Tags
camping, service