Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Issues with Camping World service

I purchased my 2015 Thor Challenger from Camping World of Indianapolis at the RV show in Indy in February. I did not realize that I should have received a demo discount but I guess that was my fault. When I picked up my RV in March, there were several issues that were promised to be fixed after we took it on vacation in April. The tech indicated that we would discover more issue on the trip and that they could all be fixed at once. When we took it on vacation, there were many issues:
1. Levelers – hydraulic fluid leaks when levelers are up

2. Levelers – auto leveler control comes on while driving

3. Water heater does not work – electric does not heat the water. Gas comes on for a minute or less but then goes off. No hot water.

4. Furnace- runs every two minutes or less and goes off.

5. Roof trim above the driver side is popped loose.

6. Paint issues – rear top drivers side. 2nd drivers side under storage door paint scratches

7. Passenger side slide- bunk slide rubs against cabinet.

8. Ice maker does not make ice. No water going to it?

9. Transmission does not always shift correctly. Often have to let off the accelerator for it to shift. RPM’s way too high before shifting.

10. Storage door behind passenger side rear wheel leaks.

11. Outside under storage door – last one on passenger side. Latch is broken/does not always work.

12. Bottom kitchen drawer slides out while driving

13. Kitchen sink separating from the counter

14. Storage drawer under dinette seat slides out while driving

15. Silicon on kitchen counter behind faucet

16. Missing rear sewer drain hole cover

17. Pantry cabinet will not slide all the way out when full. Catches half way out and have to lift to open

18. Screen door does not latch unless you push very hard. Seem to be in a bind.

19. Two holes in kitchen floor

20. Markings on master bathroom floor.

21. Accordion blinds on front both side windows won’t stay on hooks. Come off tracks. Handle won’t stay attached.

22. Other issues as listed on the original service sheet.

On the way to take the RV to Camping World on April 17th, I had an accident causing some body damage. When I got to Camping World, I was assisted by Rick Helvey. He said that the body shop was at least 3 months behind but the warranty work could be done while it was waiting on body work and I should have it back by July 4th weekend.

When I called in late June, Rick told me that it was not finished and it would be be mid July. I called back in mid July and he said it still wasn’t ready and it would be late July. I called back the last week of July and he said it still wasn’t done. The body work was complete but none of the warranty work had been completed. None of the parts had been ordered while it was waiting for body work. When I asked why, he replied he was wondering that himself. I thought he was in charge of the repairs? He then said it should be done by late August. I called back the last week of August and he said it was complete and that I could come get it.

The first weekend of September,I drove the 2 hours from Charlestown to Indy to get the RV. When I got there, they indicated that I owed $11K for the body work because they hadn’t received the insurance check. They could not release it without it. Why was I not told this before I drove there. I did go ahead and walk through the repairs with a tech. Many of the warranty and paint issue had not repaired. In fact there were now more paint issues where the body had been damaged on the lot. It was also filthy dirty inside and out. I spoke with the store GM and he said we would be compensated and it would be fixed immediately and I would definitely have it before my vacation on October 9th.

In the meantime, I got the check form insurance released to Camping World. I called many times the first week of October and it was not complete. They agreed to pay the $900 deductible since they had the unit for over 170 days. They also agreed to deliver it. When I finally got the unit on October 6, three days before my vacation, the unit still had many issues and it was filthy inside and out. If I was a service manager, I would have never released it in this dirty condition. He obviously never checked it before it left. Also, there were several issues that still had not been fixed and there were now some additional issues. There was a large scratch and paint chip on the awning arm, the clearcoat crack on the back had not been repaired, the levelers still leaked, there was black glue on the linoleum floor, the bathroom door had a chunk out of the top corner, there were other paint issues as well on the body.

My wife cleaned the floor of the RV and you should have seen what came up. I have photos. On the trip, the transmission rpm issue had obviously not been addressed. It was still revving at high RMPs and not shifting properly. On the way home the wrench light came on indicating the throttle control had gone out. I had no cruise control and no tow/haul. Luckily I had already passed through the hills of Tennessee which could have been very bad without being able to use the tow/haul as a break instead of wearing out the breaks.

My biggest concern is that there was no regard for me as a customer at Camping World. I was never called about the progress. I always had to call. They didn’t seem concerned that they had the RV for over 170 days and that items were not fixed.

They have offered to pick up the RV to have it repaired but I do not trust them to fix it. I would like to take it to another Thor dealer and Camping World can pay for it. The other option is to buy back this RV from me at what I owe since this has not been right from day one!

I sent this info to the CEO.
djwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Join the crowd!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had Camping world do two things for me.
Change the oil and install an inverter

I specified a different oil than what they used
The missed an item on the oil change list
They re-arranged the circuit breakers putting both A/C's on the same leg of the 50 amp Rig.

Now, near as I can tell they got most everything else right but .. hey. that's not a good record.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

No surprise here CW is probably second on most post right under camping at Walmart.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

I am truely sorry for your misfortune. Does Indiana have a lemon law? I suggest you ask for the full purchase price back, since you have been without the use of it for many months. I opine that you will never feel comfortable in this RV.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very few Lemon Laws cover a TT. Usually it's only for self propelled vehicles and then only for the chassis portion in regard to safety items.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
These manufacturing defects would have presented themselves regardless of the the dealership that you purchased from. It seems that your coach..like many others..was constructed with little or no quality control. Rather, it was hurried off of the assembly line and sent "down the road" to now become the dealers problem.

Sounds like you got a crappy product sold to,you by an even more crappy dealer.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Very few Lemon Laws cover a TT. Usually it's only for self propelled vehicles and then only for the chassis portion in regard to safety items.
OP said the transmission was not shifting right.
Should have been a hint it wasn't a TT.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No surprise here CW is probably second on most post right under camping at Walmart.
Many of us favor a bit of wally docking. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Many of us favor a bit of wally docking. ;-)

I like Wally docking also the point was it has tons and tons of post.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #11

Join RV.net. Then post your comments there. That site is owned by Camping World Parent.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you do a search of CW before purchase? You may have just re-kindled that fire with your post.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
OP said the transmission was not shifting right.
Should have been a hint it wasn't a TT.
True, and most Lemon Laws only cover the chassis for safety related items, not the house portion and the OP was mainly complaining about house problems. The transmission slipping might or might not be a safety item but just slipping/overrevving isn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
LOL Camping World, what a f in joke

Tags
camping, service