Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I lived in San Antonio, Texas years ago, I watched a weather lady on a local TV station call the county that San Antonio lies in (Bexar), call it "Bex r" . Boy did she catch heck-

The correct pronunciation is "Bear" county-

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #16

Funny!
I live in Cumming Georgia everybody always calls it Cummings Georgia

Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #17

I just chuckle when i hear "Cummings". In fact I was looking at a truck recently and the seller was with great pride extolling the virtues and attributes of his truck, including telling me it had a "bullet-proof Cummings engine" in it. All I could think of was 'wow, this guys just stoked about the truck and he still doesn't even know what kind of engine it has in it!!'.

The two errors I hear all the time and find funniest though are; chimley (chimney), sangwitch (sandwich).
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I've actually seen the mistake made in sales literature!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I drove OTR we pronounced them comeaparts Cat's always
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
When I drove OTR we pronounced them comeaparts Cat's always
I guess over the years I have had 30 or more trucks with Cummins Power. AS I recall, and its on my wall now , a picture of the cab over Pete 1977 (new) with a Cat engine., it was a one time only purchase...never again, at lest back in those days anyway. Cat has a corner on the market , just like Mack did. Parts were always more as was service than on my Cummins powered trucks.....Of its now gone full circle, Cat has left the truck market place for good, and as I remember, in 1970, everyone wanted the bullet proof grader engine for their trucks. It was heavy, but had more power than anything on the road. Most were low on maintenance and breakdowns. It was a lot of the problems with their other smaller engines that was a problem , like the 3406 ? I had in my 77 Pete. Of coarse we all remember the 3208 v8 and how it became a nightmare for everyone that bought one.... Maybe its best Cat stays with what they know best industrial and construction equipment.,
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just to set the record straight the founder's correct name was Clessie Lyle Cummins.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dad always liked the Cummins engines in his trucks too.

I remember that first Cab over Cat he bought new, Kenworth, a few years later Dad rebuilt that motor, worked through the night, I remember being out there with him for a few hours (probably I was 10-12) handing him tools. At that time, it was the only income and Dad had to get it back on the road hauling.

There was another motor commonly used in the trucks, Cummins, Cat, and Detroit Diesel. Detroits were Dad's least favorite as I recall.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very interesting reading on Clessie Cummins. I didn't know he went to work for Allison. I think in later years Allison came into work with Detroit Diesel maybe, if memory serves, I think we had a Detroit/Allison, no, that maybe was transmissions....Well I can't think of what I was going to say now.....CRS again...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's even more interesting that after Clessie left Cummins, he invented the Engine Compression Release Brake.

He offered to sell his invention to Cummins but they declined.

He sold his invention Jacobs of the Jacobs drill chuck fame, and it became known as the famous Jake Brake.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Dad always liked the Cummins engines in his trucks too.

I remember that first Cab over Cat he bought new, Kenworth, a few years later Dad rebuilt that motor, worked through the night, I remember being out there with him for a few hours (probably I was 10-12) handing him tools. At that time, it was the only income and Dad had to get it back on the road hauling.

There was another motor commonly used in the trucks, Cummins, Cat, and Detroit Diesel. Detroits were Dad's least favorite as I recall.
Geez man,,,, did your Dad know my Dad ???? I bet they would be friends !!! My Dad also built his trucking company after coming back a Marine from WW2 . First truck I remember riding in was his cabover KW with a CUMMINS,,, he would never own a cat or detroit.. Of course he started trucking many moons before I came along... I always rode with him in summers when school was out. I remember once or twice he got a little mad I wasn't tall enough to close the doors of the refer trailer when he pulled away from the dock... Things you remember huh ??
Anyway, back on subject, just last night I commented to a guy I know , Man, you got a brand new Volvo !! I asked what motor, he said "Cummings" ... I almost said something,,, but didn't... The KW I drive will beat you to death,, and has a cat motor... grrrrrrrr... Slowest thing in the rather large fleet of the largest ltl company,, but part of it is the way they have murdered the computer... trying to get fuel mileage ... LOL,,, thats funny from a cat...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Geez man,,,, did your Dad know my Dad ???? I bet they would be friends !!! My Dad also built his trucking company after coming back a Marine from WW2 . First truck I remember riding in was his cabover KW with a CUMMINS,,, he would never own a cat or detroit.. Of course he started trucking many moons before I came along... I always rode with him in summers when school was out. I remember once or twice he got a little mad I wasn't tall enough to close the doors of the refer trailer when he pulled away from the dock... Things you remember huh ??
Anyway, back on subject, just last night I commented to a guy I know , Man, you got a brand new Volvo !! I asked what motor, he said "Cummings" ... I almost said something,,, but didn't... The KW I drive will beat you to death,, and has a cat motor... grrrrrrrr... Slowest thing in the rather large fleet of the largest ltl company,, but part of it is the way they have murdered the computer... trying to get fuel mileage ... LOL,,, thats funny from a cat...

I think if Dad would have had the choice in that first Kenworth he would have chosen a Cummins too. But it was a deal I think he worked out with his brother in California found the truck somewhere for a good price, it was brand new. I remember my Dad and stepmother flew out there and drove it back to Kansas in 1973. It was a 73 model year. Wish I could find a picture of it. I texted my Sis in Ks to send me a pic of it.

Yeah, my Dad in the later years always said the Cummins was a better motor, I think mostly because Cat parts were so expensive (at that time and place). He always kind of gave me a slight verbal shrug when he referred to Detroits....I remember him saying how noisy they were compared to the other two...

The cab over never rode as good as the conventionals....maybe it was the wheelbase. ?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

This is too funny. Chelsie Cummins did not start the Cummins Company it was Clessie Lyle Cummins.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
This is too funny. Chelsie Cummins did not start the Cummins Company it was Clessie Lyle Cummins.
Post 21 clarified that.

Enlighten me, I'm very slow, what is too funny?

Also, I have CRS and can't see it.

Closed Thread

Tags
cummins