Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
It's he## to get old!

We are busy getting the coach ready for an extended trip this summer. The last few days required many trips up and down the ladder applying RejeX. These old bones remember every trip up that ladder and every circulation of the polishing rag. Yet that is still not what this post is about. We will be towing our 2004 Ford Explorer as we have for more the 25,000 miles and getting it ready for the miles required me to take it in for service and asking them to check the condition of the brakes and steering,etc; The result was, it needed wheel bearings and the tires were 10 years old and lots of cracks between the tread. Reccomendation: new tires and wheel bearings. Results were a bill of approximately $2500.
Now here is the old age thing! My first new car cost me $2700. That was for a Candy Apple Red Fairlane 500 2 Dr Hardtop! (too bad I don't own that today! $2500 is hard to take.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
We are busy getting the coach ready for an extended trip this summer. The last few days required many trips up and down the ladder applying RejeX. These old bones remember every trip up that ladder and every circulation of the polishing rag. Yet that is still not what this post is about. We will be towing our 2004 Ford Explorer as we have for more the 25,000 miles and getting it ready for the miles required me to take it in for service and asking them to check the condition of the brakes and steering,etc; The result was, it needed wheel bearings and the tires were 10 years old and lots of cracks between the tread. Reccomendation: new tires and wheel bearings. Results were a bill of approximately $2500.
Now here is the old age thing! My first new car cost me $2700. That was for a Candy Apple Red Fairlane 500 2 Dr Hardtop! (too bad I don't own that today! $2500 is hard to take.
Well, $2.5k would be easier for me to take than sitting on the side of the road waiting for help and a tow truck, and then still having to shell out $2.5K!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

What is really sad is that the shops charge a ridiculous labor rate (pure greed) and they aren't worth it, very few shops are decent, and in my opinion, NO shop is worth what they charge. Makes me glad I am still able to do my own work. When I totally rebuilt the front end on my 1990 F-150 4x4 it cost me $300 for parts. A shop quoted me well over $1200 to do the job.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey "Lucky,"

There is an alternative to growing old.

I really don't think you would like it.

I sure as heck don't.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Any day I wake up above ground the rest of the day is gonna be great, no matter what happens!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Don't feel bad I had to retire almost 3 years ago(medical) and I just finished waxing the MH last week and I am still paying for it... In soreness and stiffness. Next time it's getting done by someone else
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Any day I wake up above ground the rest of the day is gonna be great, no matter what happens!
I love it your the best...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ever woke up below ground?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you went to a Ford Dealer to get that price.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Ford dealers will rape you as you found out. Independent shops charge much less and are fair on their pricing and labor. Front wheel bearings are not that much and the replace on the tires should not be more than $1200.

Did the dealer use vasoline when you bent over?
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #11

Not all Ford dealers would quote such an overcharge. I first question a bearing problem with only 25,000 miles. 10 year old tires can be replaced with the best tire out there for less than $300 each. I had the brakes done on my f350 DRW truck for $600 including rotor turn and 2 caliper kits at my trusty Ford Dealer. You need to change dealerships.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
Not all Ford dealers would quote such an overcharge. I first question a bearing problem with only 25,000 miles. 10 year old tires can be replaced with the best tire out there for less than $300 each. I had the brakes done on my f350 DRW truck for $600 including rotor turn and 2 caliper kits at my trusty Ford Dealer. You need to change dealerships.
I refered to towing it 25,000 miles, the Ford has well over 100,000 on it. The tires cost just under $1000 and the wheel bearings required a bit of extra just to get off the spindle as well as the need to replace one because it was immpossble to press off. There was also an alignment. However the post was more about the difference in getting the car repaired for "around" and the complete cost of a "NEW" car back in the day! Beyond that it was not a Ford Dealer!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Not yet, but one of these days it's gonna happen! Only thing is, I'll be waking up in a different place!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote