Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

My HWH jack alarm came on while I was doing about 55 mph on a bumpy road in Mississippi yesterday. I felt nothing and pulled onto the side right away and turned on the unit (after remembering to put on the parking parking brake after it wouldn't come on). It showed my right rear light on. I did not get out to check it (wish I had now), but pushed store and it the alarm and red light jack down indicater went off after about 10 seconds). Everything seemed OK, and I have about 450 miles on the coach since the incident. I am feeling OK about it, but was wondering if others had had a sililar problem. Seems to me that the rough road just jiggle somehting loose and it is OK now. Am I right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #2

My HWH jack alarm came on while I was doing about 55 mph on a bumpy road in Mississippi yesterday. I felt nothing and pulled onto the side right away and turned on the unit (after remembering to put on the parking parking brake after it wouldn't come on). It showed my right rear light on. I did not get out to check it (wish I had now), but pushed store and it the alarm and red light jack down indicater went off after about 10 seconds). Everything seemed OK, and I have about 450 miles on the coach since the incident. I am feeling OK about it, but was wondering if others had had a sililar problem. Seems to me that the rough road just jiggle somehting loose and it is OK now. Am I right?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
What you experienced happens now and then for various reasons. Yes, it is startling the first time!

Simply hitting the restore button is what HWH recommends. You don't have to stop - it can be done on themove.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lindsay;

My HWH jacks do that sometimes if I go over rough roads or RR tracks. I just hit the on button and store button and the jack returns. The first time it happened I thought I had to stop, put the tranny in park and set the emergency brake. I now realize that I can turn on and store the jacks while moving.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happens with my rv as well. Any good bump.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My very first trip in our new at that time 2003 Suncruiser that alarm came on and gave me a good scare.

What happens is that the hydraulic jacks retract via spring pressure when you hit the "store" button. When they get "almost" (but not quite) all the way home, they pass the "jacks down" sensor on the ram and the light goes off.

Later on, as you drive, the hydraulic oil in the system warms up and expands. This is particularly prevalent if your jack is near a source of heat, such as an exhaust component. As the oil expands the jack lowers slightly and trips the switch, creating the alarm.

For this reason, HWH recommends that after you press the store button, you let the system shut itself off. If you shut off the system manually after all the lights are out the jacks is only 98% up. It's safe enough that way but it's a hairline trigger to the jack position sensor. If you leave the system shut itself off it'll time out and give you that extra minute or two so that the jacks goes up all the way. Generally that will be enough to prevent any expansion from tripping the switch. However, if it's really cool in the morning when you break camp and then gets very hot when travelling you may still have a "surprise" in the afternoon. I tend to press the store button right after lunch when restarting out to ensure that any slack is taken up.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If I may expand on what Mark said. After you hit the store button and the jacks retract, the indicator for each jack goes off, but the power light will still stay on. But that doesnt mean everything is fine. If you just leave it sit there for about another two minutes or so, you will hear a clunk or click and the power light will then also go off. That tells you that the system has recycled.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same problem I've had for the past 2 years-- always the right rear.

I replaced the springs on the right rear (purchased directly from HWH- Price was $21.50 + shipping) and I'm traveling now with 775 miles under my belt and no more problems. The right rear now beats the left rear during retraction.

Read this post of mine on how to install the new ones-- Don't do as I did- do as Tom N suggests:

HWH leveling system

I wish I had done all four now, but I will when I return home,