Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #1

We have power gear jacks on our MH. We have a history of them going up (usually just one) and had one rebuilt which did not solve the problem. The other day my hb noticed the front jacks were up. When he went to lower them he got nothing - silence! He has checked the wiring he can find to make sure all is tight, there is power to the motor, says the ground s good.

He finally got the jacks up by starting the motor and taking the E- brake off.

Any ideas before we search for someone to check it out? We are finding how hard it is to find someone to work on Power Gear Jacks.

Any good ideas you can email directly rv-ing@lloydsetc.com

Charlotte

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #2

We have power gear jacks on our MH. We have a history of them going up (usually just one) and had one rebuilt which did not solve the problem. The other day my hb noticed the front jacks were up. When he went to lower them he got nothing - silence! He has checked the wiring he can find to make sure all is tight, there is power to the motor, says the ground s good.

He finally got the jacks up by starting the motor and taking the E- brake off.

Any ideas before we search for someone to check it out? We are finding how hard it is to find someone to work on Power Gear Jacks.

Any good ideas you can email directly rv-ing@lloydsetc.com

Charlotte

Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #3

Your fluid in the reserve tank for the jacks may not be full. We had this happen once in an older coach. Or you may have a leak somewhere. Your reserve tank can leak and still not show any fluid dripping.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #4

Charlotte-
If I could ask, how much did it cost to have the jack rebuilt? I have two to replace but would like to rebuild if possible.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked your fluid. When I had a problem with our power-gear jacks it almost always had to do with fluid level. Hope this helps..
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you can provide the model number of the system you have off the control panel I will look up the system and get back to you with what I find. The other suggestion would be for you to call Power Gear and speak to a customer representative to help you out. Let us know.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a link that may help
http://www.discoveryowners.com/jackproblems.htm
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #8

We have the manual system (if you go to the power gear website our panels is the first one). There is a number on the top 500456. Does this info help?

Art had a guy from the local RV Repair come over and he said it was the selnoid. Art removed it and bought a new one but we still have nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
If you can provide the model number of the system you have off the control panel I will look up the system and get back to you with what I find. The other suggestion would be for you to call Power Gear and speak to a customer representative to help you out. Let us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #9

I wish I could tell you but we only paid the $200 deductible. I think the paperwork does show the cost and when Art is done trying to solve our jacks not working problem I will ask him where he filed it. I am thinking it was in the $500 range but don't hold me to it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard n Shirley:
Charlotte-
If I could ask, how much did it cost to have the jack rebuilt? I have two to replace but would like to rebuild if possible.

R </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Since I did not have this system already in print I had to go to: http://www.powergearus.com/DATA/service_manual.pdf for the service manual. Be sure that there are no blown fuses or circuit breakers on either the house or chassis side. The parking brake must be set and the ignition switch on.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #11

Richard n Shirley
I had one of my Power Gear jacks completly re-built a couple of years ago. Seems that it cost around $200.00. My RV guy took off the motor, which went bad, we had that rebuilt then he took off the bad jack which I took to a hydraulic shop. He then re-assembled the entire system and it cost me about $500.00 for that. Total for the jack and all his labor was about $700. By the way, they are still working well. My motor and other gear is located under the coach behind the passenger front wheel so it takes all kinds of road splatter and such. I thought about having the entire system moved to the front compartment but haven't yet and the older my coach gets and the older I get probably won't do it. Hope this helps. Any good hydraulic shop can rebuild your jacks.
Regards, John D.