Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
HLB

Jacks won't retract and engine won't start

Got back from a 400 mile trip and parked in the driveway. The next morning, went out to move the coach and the jacks would not retract and the engine would not start. The jack control panel lights up and the dashboard lights come on when the key is turned on, but the starter gets no power and the jacks won't cycle. I manually retracted the jacks and have checked all of the fuses etc I can find. Batteries check ok. Any ideas? When the ignition key is turned to the start position, the lights on the jack control panel dim, but not the dashboard lights.
HLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #2

Several questions...Electric Jacks? What do you mean the batteries checked ok? What do the headlights do when you turn the ignition switch to start? What kind and age is the rig? Have you had it a while and has this happened before?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
HLB

More info. HWH hydraulic jacks, 625 series. I have a 2005 Allegro Bus with a 400 ISL Cummins. This has never happened before. The batteries check out at 12.75 volts and the headlights are bright.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When you say jacks won't retract, does that mean they are frozen down, or they come up but not all the way? Or do they come up apparently all the way, but the electronics dosen't see that. Usually, jack issues are not all that complex. Need a bit more info, though. If all else fails, you might try the mfr tech support. They get paid to help folks just like you.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
HLB

When the ignition key is on, the jack control pad lights up, but pushing any button results in no action. The won't extend or store. When I parked the night before, they extended normally. I manually retracted them. A member on the Tiffin forum suggested it might be the ignition solinoid; I tapped it a few times with no results.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLB View Post
When the ignition key is on, the jack control pad lights up, but pushing any button results in no action. The won't extend or store. When I parked the night before, they extended normally. I manually retracted them. A member on the Tiffin forum suggested it might be the ignition solinoid; I tapped it a few times with no results.
have you checked the parking brake switch and the neutral switch?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #7

Make sure your parking brake is set.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee, if I put it in DRIVE with the parking brake released.. The jacks retract (Of course that is my rig)

To the O/P.. Check your battery terminals, disconnect (Negative first please) clean and re-attach, then try again, I have had symptoms not unlike yours a few times (My rig is only 4 years old) and every time.. that fixed it. (So far)

If that does not work. check ALL the primary 12 volt connections epically the chassis end of the negative battery cable
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My jacks did the same thing yesterday. The power lite came on but nothing happened. I had turned off the house batteries and they power the jacks. After restoring the house batt eveything worked.
I hope this helps with the jacks

James Wilson
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #10

The same thing happened to us this past weekend. Our starter went with no warning. We replaced the starter but now the jacks won't work at all. There is power going into the leveling control box but no power going out to jacks. Has anyone had this problem. Power gear hydraulic system on 1998 Bounder.
bdlahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where did you check battery voltage adn how did you do it?

If you checked at the battery (The proper way) try checking "Downline" (the fuse panel may be a good spot, both key off, key on and key start

Now,,, I've never had jacks fail to retract but I have a different jack system than you do.. I have had the starter get nothing and both times... I had to clean the connections on the batery.. They were dirty.

Also, in my case use of the AUX-START button worked.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #12

I had the same problem in a four year old 2000 Dutch Star. Engine wouldn't start and the jacks wouldn't retract. The chassis batteries showed 12.7 volts, but on inspection of the batteries I found one very hot and spewing acid. I disconnected the defective battery and used the Battery Boost switch to start the engine then I retracted the jacks. I drove with one engine battery to Wal*Mart and bought two new batteries and replaced them in the parking lot.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmm! Just wondering out loud. I'm assuming they are hydraulic. Now I have to ask the question. Have you checked the fluid in the hydraulic pump? There is a sensor in there and any one of several conditions can be had when the sensor picks up that the fluid is low.

Just a thought passing through the pea sized brain of mine.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote