Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
....from the Jacobs company website:

"Jake Brake® is a registered trademark of Jacobs Vehicle Systems™...........The term correctly refers to all of Jacobs Vehicle Systems retarding products.....

Brian

Well, I stand corrected. Sorry. I guess I should check the source more frequently than every several years or so.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #16

The biggest difference between "engine brakes" and "exhaust brakes" is that engine brakes will slow you down when descending a steep hill and exhaust brakes will not.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1953 View Post
The biggest difference between "engine brakes" and "exhaust brakes" is that engine brakes will slow you down when descending a steep hill and exhaust brakes will not.

I agree that engine brakes are stronger- partly, I suppose, because they're usually installed on much larger engines- but I think it's a bit misleading to phrase it in absolute terms that way. In part it depends on your definition of steep.

What I can say is that I travel at about 35K Lbs, and my exhaust brake will hold me stable down a 6% grade. Now, throughout the west there are a good number of long (10 mile) 6% and 7% grades, and some even steeper- albeit shorter- in the east. All are eminently manageable with an exhaust brake. I think it's more a question of vehicle weight and engine size rather than one system being better than another.

Besides, those engine brakes are loud and it would scare the cat!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I hope you are simplifiying the operation, in your explanation.

A compression brake does not just hold the exhaust valves open.
YES

Quote:
I have an aftermarket 4" Exhaust Brake on my 2007 Dodge 5.9L Cummins.
Truck and 5vr weigh 22,000#
With EB On it will hold 45 mph going down a 6% grade w/o touch brakes
With EB On it will hold 55 mph going down a 7% grade with only occasional use of brakes.

BEST modification I did to truck.

I even use it when NOT towing.....course I have to press on go pedal occasionally or it will slow truck down to a crawl
Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
That's not my experience, but I don't think I've ever driven a vehicle with a real compression brake.

My Dodge truck and RV both have exhaust brakes. The pickup has a switch on the dash, when I turn it on and let off the gas the brake slows down the truck. The higher RPM the more pronounced the braking effect. Why would it only work on level ground and not going down hill? On the RV, I have a foot pedal to activate the brake. Same question works on level ground, but not going down hill?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #20

Apples against apples. The same truck with the same engine, carrying maximum payload. On the same down-hill run: 6%. Engine brakes will slow the truck; you would be lucky if an exhaust brake would hold a steady speed unless in a crawler gear.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Compression brakes harness some of the engine's horsepower to actively slow down the vehicle. I think that for my 425 HP CAT, Jacobs claims that ~300HP can be used to slow it with the Jake brake.

In comparison, an exhaust brake is sort of a "passive" device. It constricts a vehicle's exhaust, creating a backpressure which provides engine braking, but it's not the same as using engine power for stopping.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Many RVers don't know the difference between compression brakes and exhaust brakes to begin with.
docj
I agree.

For the benefit of those who want to know difference I suggest this read: http://tinyurl.com/jk6qhot

(Unfortunately those that refuse to have their minds changed by facts will probably not bother to read it).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #23

The exhaust brake is nothing more than an exhaust restrictor. It operates like a large washer, when activated, gets turned sideways in the exhaust to provide more engine braking. One side effect is if you have it on too long in will increase your intake manifold temperature.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to get all technical, it's a compression release brake. It opens a valve to relieve the product of the compression stroke leaving a vacuum in the following power stroke rather than allowing the compression to push the piston thru the power strok.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #25

Just to add to the discussion, an engine brake is built into the engine design, and operates internally within the engine. An exhaust brake is external and is not part of the engine design.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #26

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 03-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exhaust brake.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=exhaus...C&biw=1120&bih
Old 03-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Can you show me where you get this?
Or do you mean that an exhaust brake will hold the descending speed constant. But the Engine brake will slow you down meaning speed will decrease.

Just curious because I have 40+ years with these different brakes in all differant types of trucks.

Tags
brake