Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #1

John -

I started to PM you on this but then I thought the information would be good for all other interested people. If not - let me know and I will ask these questions off line.

Which RS2000 model did you get - the SW, -15B SW, D SW, or the -20BSW?

I had a Freedom 20 and Link 2000 on the boat. Does the control panel for the RS2000 tell you anything about the batteries like volts of 2 different battery banks, amp hr load, time remainning to 1/2 depletion, etc.?

I checked your web site and I like what you did (again) with the Xantrex unit. Lucky angle on the4 drill there What kind of thermostat did you install?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #2

John -

I started to PM you on this but then I thought the information would be good for all other interested people. If not - let me know and I will ask these questions off line.

Which RS2000 model did you get - the SW, -15B SW, D SW, or the -20BSW?

I had a Freedom 20 and Link 2000 on the boat. Does the control panel for the RS2000 tell you anything about the batteries like volts of 2 different battery banks, amp hr load, time remainning to 1/2 depletion, etc.?

I checked your web site and I like what you did (again) with the Xantrex unit. Lucky angle on the4 drill there What kind of thermostat did you install?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #3

Adrian,

There is no suffix or sub-model number on my RS 2000. I looked on the invoice, the unit itself, and my manuals (about one hundred pages worth!) My RS2000 is an RS2000 period as far as I can tell.

The monitor panel will not tell you anything about seperate battery banks - the 12V source to the inverter is what it reports on. I know the battery voltage, battery temperature, and discharge (or charge) rate. I also know how many watts the interter is putting out. It is NOT a battery state monitor system per se.

I have optioned the Automatic gen start to start the genny once a month for exercise and when the battery source to the inverter gets discharged to a certain point (if we are running on inverter.)

The thermostat I added was the cheapest manual thermostat I could find at Home Depot (or Lowes - I forgot). I had to modify it as I mentioned in my web site dissertation.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #4

John,

Thanks for the input.

Xantrex now lists 4 different models of the RS2000 depending on the number of input wires and other things that I do not know yet. It will take a fewemails to Xantrex to determine what is needed.

When you changed your thermostat did you eliminate the stock thermostat or completely replace it? If you replaced it, what did you do about switching between elect heat and gas heat? I am not sure I would implement that feature the more I think about it. I just would not be able to have the AC on when not plugged into shore power.

Did you eliminate the battery voltage panel locatedbetween the tank level monitor and the Powerlinepanel? I really do not see why you would but it seems the RS2000 remote panel makes it redundant.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-10-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The basic RS2000 that John and I have used is now supplemented by a few new models. The difference is in the AC output configuration. The basic RS2000 uses a hard wired output that sends 30 amps to a sub-panel. The other versions use a different array of circuit breakers (various 15 amp and 20 amp combinations) to supply power to multiple circuits. I forget which version is which, so a call to Xantrex would be in order. The only reason to go with one of these would be to eliminate a sub-panel and feed a pair of circuits directly to the breakers on the inverter. Personally I'd rather have the sub-panel. It's easier than going out to the inverter to reset breakers.

THE RS2000 uses the Xanbus network technology (same as CANBUS actually). It talks to the System Control Panel and the Automatic Generator Start. You don't get detailed battery use like a Link 2000 but Xantrex is developing a battery monitoring module that will plug into the network. It's just not out on the market yet, but when it is available it'll be an easy add-on.

The reason for John's thermostat was to control the AGS. If you use the OEM thermostat, the AGS will start the generator whenever the thermostat calls for cooling. If you are using the genset/AGS as a standby system for when the shore power goes out it'll still start the genset even when shore power is available. By adding a simple cooling-only thermostat you can control the AGS module. The secret is to set it at a higher setting than the OEM thermostat so that it only kicks in once the shore power has failed and the temperature has climbed up that high.

I chose to go a different way. I tapped into the OEM thermostat (it's digital, but I added an A/D interface to give me analog outputs). I then inserted a relay in the 12 volt AGS-to-thermostat wires that used normally closed contacts. The 120 VAC relay coil then was connected to the shore power side of the transfer switch. This way the OEM thermostat controls the AGS but the relay only allows communication when the shore power is off.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #6

Cruzer,

Thanks for the great explanation. AS you said - a few phone calls to Xantrex are going to be needed to determine exactly what will be model will be appropiate.

It looks like it is more involved than just unbolting the Deminsion and bolting in the Xantrex after running the CAT5 control cable.

I really liked having the information that the Link 2000 gave me but then I was "dry camping" a lot more than I do now so to speak. Thought will have to be given as to the real need for a battery monitor.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 AM   #7

Mark explained it more succinctly than I could

I did not touch the factory-installed thermostat; didn't want to spend that kind of time trying to modify/use the original thermostat. Mark is exactly correct about the purpose of the added thermostat.

With the model of RS2000 I used (apparently the only one available last summer) it really was a fairly simple swap-out of the Dimensions for the Xantrex. There were two somewhat complicating factors with the swap:

a) Dimensions doesn't use terminal lugs on the 12V source input - they use a screw capture of the wire ends

b) Running the new Cat5 cable from the inverter to the new control panel was time consuming. The existing eight conductor cable from the Dimensions to the remote display is NOT compatable with the Xantrex interface

The existing Winnie battery voltage monitor in the OnePlace is still there and I use it occasionally to look at battery voltage. However, now with my Xantrex system (with auto gen start - AGS) and the Echo~Charge, I never have to worry about the state of charge under usual camping conditions.

If we boondocked, I would need to be more aware of the battery condition because we have quiet hours programmed into the AGS; the genny won't start between the hours of 9 PM and 8 AM, so it would be possible to drain the house batteries overnight. (However, if we did boondock by ourselves or at a truck stop, I might remove the quiet hours.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #8

John and Cruiser - thanks a lot. I now think I just may know enough to kind of intelligently communicate with Xantrex. I have begun that process.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can always add the Xanbus version of the Link 2000 later on if you want. It is the next thing that's scheduled to be introduced. When you call Xantrex, ask them when it's due to come out. They were pretty knowledgeable about upcoming products when I talked to the tech support.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote