Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Junk Oil Filters

Many of us in the auto and truck service industry know that Fram filters are pure junk. Unfortunately, they have done a good job of marketing their junk over the years and as a result, many unwitting weekend oil change consumers think Fram is the gold standard in filters. Nope! Not even close.

This video is interesting and well worth a few minutes of your time. It shows the actual construction and differences of some popular filters available to anyone. I do wish he had included the OE filters in his comparisons. It would be interesting to know how the Mopar, AC and Motorcraft filters compare.

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #2

I never use fram on anything
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW -

I use a very inexpensive filter (Pronto) I'll cut a new one open when I get home..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
WOW -

I use a very inexpensive filter (Pronto) I'll cut a new one open when I get home..
It would be interesting to see what you find... Please post.

Fram is actually owned by Honeywell. They also make private label filters so you will find the exact same filter with other names on it. I think I remember that the Quaker State filter is the same. I'm sure there are others. Its a safe bet to say that you are going to get what you pay for. While a Fram filter is $5 or so, a NAPA or Wix may be more than twice that. Personally, I have always used the manufacturer's OE filter myself - Mopar, AC or Motorcraft. I've always thought they had to be decent filters to support the manufacturer's warranty.
jt
Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

If you want a remote filter that is reusable, System One is the one you'll find on most race cars....and you can get different grades of filtering...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Oil filter

Wix or NAPA Gold,made by Wix.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #7

I agree with the use of quality products.
I do not agree that Fram products are pure junk. I believe all their filters meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications. If they were as bad as portrayed here - we'd know. Fram sells millions of filters. If they were "junk" and so harmful to our engines, there would be lots of litigation and publicity.
Lube centers, parts stores and several other outlets similar or lesser quality filters....marketing makes them seem better.
I'm not a Fram employee, nor do I benefit in any way with the sale of Fram products.
I'm not here to pick a fight, I just don't believe it' necessary to over think this.
We all make our choices based on our research, recommendations and perceived value.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Roll View Post
I agree with the use of quality products.
I do not agree that Fram products are pure junk. I believe all their filters meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications. If they were as bad as portrayed here - we'd know. Fram sells millions of filters. If they were "junk" and so harmful to our engines, there would be lots of litigation and publicity.
Lube centers, parts stores and several other outlets similar or lesser quality filters....marketing makes them seem better.
I'm not a Fram employee, nor do I benefit in any way with the sale of Fram products.
I'm not here to pick a fight, I just don't believe it' necessary to over think this.
We all make our choices based on our research, recommendations and perceived value.
It never ceases to amaze me how someone can deny physical evidence. By the way, I personally have witnessed Fram oil filter failures on Cummins diesel engines when some of the glue material came off the filter and plugged a piston cooling nozzle. But, I'm sure you won't believe that either. Cut one open for yourself if think the video is BS. If not, keep using your cheap filters and rolling those dice...
jt
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

From the 70's to the late 80"s I used nothing but Fram filters on all my vehicles. I had 3 cars I bought new with all three having over 150,00 miles on them when I sold them. No engine problems what so ever. I even used them on my race cars with no problems.
That being said I only use Baldwin, Donaldson or Cat filters on my RV.
MoparHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Pure junk Fram filters have helped me put 265,000+ on my 95 Suburban 454 and 295,000+ on my 00 Blazer 4.3, admittedly mostly highway. If Fram is junk, why do I have so many miles on these original engines? Oil change every 5,000 religiously, with conventional oil IAW the owners' manual.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

I never denied anything...I just stated an opinion that was different.

I'm sorry my post caused you to be so emotional.

Stuff like this is why my post count is so low, over the past 11+ years as a member here.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #12

There's a lot of cool purely racing stuff out there - Oberg, Canton, Pure Power, etc.

Most of the time, we don't get all bent out of shape about trying to stop small particles. You need some filtration, but the filter's job is to stop the big chunks and not go into bypass.

The home automotive market seems overly focused on small particle removal. The problem with that is the media easily gets clogged, the filter goes into bypass, and then you have no protection.

The expensive racing stuff with cleanable elements take a lot of care in ensuring you have a means of adequately cleaning them, and preventing the gunk from inadvertently getting back into the system.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Have seen this video before. I have used and will continue to use Fram filters for fifty years. All brands of cars and trucks including race engines. Have never had a oil or filter related failure of any kind. One of the engines is a highly modified slant six Dodge producing nearly 400 HP. that's street driven. Regular oil changes and quality oil are important. Not knocking any brand of filter or oil, just my 2 cents worth and worth every penny you'll ever pay for it.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #14

I’ve never had an oil filter failure , I’ve used plenty of Fram, I think rig has a Fram on it
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote