Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #1

Question My Gen.is propane and turns over and starts but I think it needs a tweak of sorts.I think it turns over to long before starting.A 7000 Onan .Any one have a fix?I think a choke adjustment but I'm not in to propane,gasoline I could adjust.Help if You know how or what I need to do...Bushman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #2

Question My Gen.is propane and turns over and starts but I think it needs a tweak of sorts.I think it turns over to long before starting.A 7000 Onan .Any one have a fix?I think a choke adjustment but I'm not in to propane,gasoline I could adjust.Help if You know how or what I need to do...Bushman

Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bushman, since you did not say how many hours are on the unit, This info may or maynot apply to your situation. If your pressure regulator is working properly the most likely other thing is your spark plugs. Propane rigs are VERY FINICKY when the spark plugs get older (More than 500 hours - sometimes less) and they must be the correct heat range - Stay with the manufacturers recommended PLUGS. Gasoline is much more forgiving with worn plugs than is PROPANE. While you have the plugs out, be sure to check that you also have a strong spark to the plugs. I do not think you have a function choke on that unit, most of the larger propane gensets do not use a choke or the choke will be set to stay open at all times.
Good luck, Glenn
2004 31SBD TREK 8.1, W20
Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.Glen about the hours I am sure they are very low.I will look in the A.M.and post the findings.I will wait for a few come backs before I do any changes at all.I will change plugs if I have no other fixs but think fuel is not getting to the carb very fast.It starts and runs great after it spins over for at least 1-2 minits thats not good for starter..John
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 6.5 which is propane like yours. Mine used to take 4-5 tries to crank and start. Then:
1. I replaced the air filter
2. I replaced the spark plugs with Onan parts.
3. I make sure to exercise the genset once each month under load as recommended.

My genset now fires on the 2nd try. I think it needs to first crank to get the fuel flowing.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #6

Chasfm11..Air filter.That may be the reason plugged up a sure thing on My list for morning.any ouher thoughts I am all ears.Got to be a minor thing as I said runs so sweet after starting..John Had to say You Men are both from The Lone Star..
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Just one comment here. My (new to me) MH uses gas, not propane. I have a home gen-set that I have converted to propane however. When I turn on the gas (manual valve) I always wait about 10 sec for the bottle-gas to push through the hoses to the carb. There is no choke. Usually fires on the first or second try. Also, I have NEVER replaced a spark plug in over 25 YEARS !! Plug is original and is still clean.

Dave

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If your unit has a tube pointing down from the gas pressure regulator, check it to see if a mud dobber built a nest in the tube. We have had to clean these out quite a bit this past summer when they were hard starting. Good luck and let us know what you find to be the problem.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips I will check to see if I have the mud in the pipe.That may be it I know it is some thing simple for when it gets the fuel and runs so nice I also checked the hours on it 139 that's not many in 5 years is it?And oil changed every year should be as new...Bushman
Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #10

I have done a number of small engine propane conversions and the common complaint is how long it takes to start without a using a pre-charger.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #11

I have the same Problem with mine. Will start after 4 or five trys and some time no mater what I do it will not start. I was doing a search when I found this topic..

Thanks

http://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #12

I have an Onan 6.3 kw propane generator and it starts right up. I have less than 100 hours on it although it is seven years old. Last time I checked the propane is fed to the generator at full pressure, not regulated. My recommended service schedule is below:

o Change engine oil and filter every 150 hours or once a year (also after the first 50 hours)
o Clean spark arrestor every 50 hours

o Replace the air filter every 150 hours or once a year

o Replace choke sustain valve every 300 hours

o Clean engine cooling fins every 300 hours

o Replace spark plugs every 500 hours

o See Onan manual for other 500 hour maintenance

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote