Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the ZEP results on my previous 1996 Gel Coated Coach. It was 16 years old at the time, ZEP even restored the decals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	196941  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 05:09 AM   #16

I have no problem getting it to look awesome, keeping it looking that way, now that’s the problem!
I have used many products, however, the oxidation returns in no time flat and I am back to square one!!! [emoji35]
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I have used Fukken Wax for removing oxidization from my Jerp and just used it on my coach and it did a great job. It took 4 cans , don't gorget to buy the spray gun to attach to the can ,it will be much easier for big jobs. Available on Amazon as well

https://www.fukkenwax.com/Waxes/prod...n-wax-can.html
Old 03-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #18

Thanks for the replies folks. Am going to look into Gel-Gloss which I have heard of. I have to admit though that the Mequires Oxidation Remover 49 is doing a pretty good job of bringing the shine back. But will need to find a good wax/sealant to protect the gel coat. Have tried Mothers Carnuba Cleaner wax and the result was inconsistent as have several other wax products.

Think I'll pay my son to do the job when we get back to the PNW
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
One more option is NuFinish polymer. It will remove oxidation and provide a protective coating. Its a liquid, easy on and off.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Once I've used a good cleaner wax I give it a coat of Collinite. Collinite has worked well for months on end for me, at least on our boat it was a great shine. So will use on the MH when the weather gets a bit warmer around here.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #21

Wax for painted coaches and Boats.

Polish for gelcoat.

Check the West Marine website for quality gelcoat Polish.

I personaly use
( Starbright Marine polish. )

Never use wax on gelcoat
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Know any thing about MR Clean magic eraser? awould you use it on your paint? My MH is a Fleetwood off white with stripes. Seems to have something in the paint or under the paint. I tried a small spot and it cleaned it very well. It is a non abrasive pad so no scratches. Cleans lots of things very well, just have not tried it on MH paint or Auto. I do figure I would have to wax good after.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #23

I have heard good results, to supplement the mcGuires oxidation removal product, is a McGuires marine wax for use on fiberglass/gel coat boats.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-N-Lham View Post
Know any thing about MR Clean magic eraser? awould you use it on your paint? My MH is a Fleetwood off white with stripes. Seems to have something in the paint or under the paint. I tried a small spot and it cleaned it very well. It is a non abrasive pad so no scratches. Cleans lots of things very well, just have not tried it on MH paint or Auto. I do figure I would have to wax good after.
We use Mr Clean magic erasers on the RV and boat's gelcoat...see signature photo. Removes any stain or discoloration with just a bit of rubbing. When using it on a painted surface, it did remove some of the paint (color appeared on the eraser).

BTW...most modern boats share a gelcoat surface with RV's.
*Painted RV's and painted boats = wax
*Gelcoat RV's and gelcoat boats = polymer finish renewal
*Polish is for painted or gelcoat surface when you need to prep the surface before the finish treatment (wax or polymer).

West Marine sells good products...but often does not have good prices.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:58 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I put Zep floor wax on my last motor home and yes it looked good for a couple of years but then when I attempted to remove it and reinstall it was a night mare. Could not get it off. Would never again use it.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #26

I tried this product called Shine On (made for boats) twice on our FW and it last about 1 year on the front cap and 2 years on the sides and rear. The kit comes with a stripper, cleaner, and Clear Coat and runs about $100 for a 35' camper. I just did the front cap last weekend.
Shine On-RV & Boat Fiberglass Finish Restorer. No Buffing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapNo Shine.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	197185   Click image for larger version

Name:	CapShine.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	197186  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #27

I've used the 3M product, It works great. This Marine Restorer and Wax is a dual-purpose product. It is both a rubbing compound and wax. I found the product to be effective in removing oxidation, rust, stains, scratches, spots, and other imperfections.
oliverray12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:54 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in the Auto/Truck Collosion business since late 70's.. Alot of buddies with boats and RV's.. I shy away from gel coats.. Some units area pure gel coats, some are full paints or cleared on top of a gelcoat..
any finish , clear or gel that has gone sours needs the oxidized AND the road/fallout contaminates removed..

There all all these wipe on. wpie of, "wet and look good" , I will say snake oils and band aides.. yes some may look good for months and good for you..

1. Surface clean, rail dust, fallout from rain. local streets etc,, is embeded in your finish.. Some companies sell a spary of that disolves and helps remove, followed by a "clay" bar/towel to remove..

2. Remove oxidation and try to reflow/burnish the clear or gel goats.. this is dome with a buff machine and proper compounts as it heatsthe surface to cut and re nit the micro fractures in the finish..

3.. NOW you polish to seal with a real wat, wax blund, ceramic or that spaceage stuff you like..

THE BIG problem is these units we have are BIG. it is not a suv or honda accord.. I can spent 10-12 hours on a suv just properly cleaning/ detailing in prep for a good finish.. that was only 2 years old to begin with.. Then have that customer come back once a year for a maintence clean that will take 4-6 hours,,
I do not do many full details any more, PIA

SO I did tackle my 2 older RV's a 94 full fiberglass lets say B+ style , nose and sides resprayed with Imron in 2009.. neglected.
Took a longs day and looked great, top roof was orginal and has deep frackures in gel.. I did a nice white roof coat,, she was sold and has a new happy camper 2 weeks ago,,

my Minnie is typical class C fiberon , laminated stuff.. , chemical washed, used a clay pad and body lube to debrade and smooth, followed with a cleaner/compount. then a
polish sealer ,, finally a 1 year ceramic blend lets say wax type product..
THIS TOOK 2 full weekends to get done 10-12 hour sat , 8-10 on Sunday.. A 3 day job if I was taller and younger... currently 5,7" stout and 60ish...
This was done in May, it still looks and beads water , aweome..
This weekend, I plan on a day, to hand wash and apply a spray on reseal and wipe down as she will sit now.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote