Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #29
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Rule of thumb is that you go down the hill in the same gear you came up the hill.

I leave my exhaust brake on all the time. Main reason is I don't want to fool with looking for the switch
I have seen this many times over the years,......Rule of thumb is that you go down the hill in the same gear you came up the hill.........
But after a million miles in semis I have just noticed a lot of grades are marked at
what degree they are at.
So for the inexperienced I would suggest whenever you hit a grade and are comfortable with your speed have the DW mark down the grade and the speed.
Use this as a guide and in no time you will get used to your rig and it will become old hat.

narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #30
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Missed my sig didn't you? ISX's don't come with an exhaust brake at all. Ours has the three stage control, but in Class 8 trucks they often use a 6 stage control.
600hp of braking force DOES slow you down!

2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
it just has a picture of a "puff of air" The sales man used the term engine break. I did not know the difference between the two mentioned in the above posts. I guess Ford uses the transmission, and the "engine break" together. All I know, is that for the five mile decent, it did its job. other vehicles were passing me with break lights on and one 18 wheeler was smoking quite profusely. I do not know if the computer used the engine/transmission/breaks together to keep the unit at 50 mph, but it all worked and I did not have to use the break pedal. All of this new fangled computer magic is way beyond me
Your engine does not have a true engine brake, as in a compression braking device. I believe what you do have is a mechanism that chokes down the turbo to act like an exhaust brake, and it also uses some transmission programming to downshift to increase the effectiveness of the exhaust brake.

Bottom line an exhaust brake is not as fully effective as an engine brake, but an exhaust brake is much better than no form of engine-assist.

The confusion comes from the fact that Jacobs Corp that developed the "Jake brake" was originally an engine compression brake, there are also "Jake" exhaust brakes. Your engine has to be designed with the internal parts and components to have an engine brake. Most pickup truck and smaller diesel engines do not have the internal design features, so they use an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake is basically restriction to the exhaust flowing out of the engine.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
cummins 330 with Allison 3000............exhaust brake on all the time.............usually don't use cruise when hilly.............even though the shift indicator will show 2nd gear, that is the lowest it will go...........so if you are going down steep hill, exhaust brake will only take tranny to 2nd gear if speeds get down to 35 mph or so...........so cruising down hill at 50, tranny will still be in 3rd or 4th..........protects engine from over-revving............this trip, with exhaust brake on, traveled thru mountains (smoky's) up hill at 50 to 55, down hills 45 to 55.............really enjoyable (serious).............that exhaust brake is the best thing invented.............I find myself going up a little faster that going down................at any rate, do what you are comfortable with......if someone wants to travel at 70, stay in right lane and let them pass you by................I am in no hurry
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #33
I only switch on the exhaust brake when needed. The switch is at my left knee, I do not need to search or look for it. The Cummins ISC engine is known for cracked exhaust manifolds; my thinking is, excessive use of the exhaust brake may contribute to overheating the manifolds, thus my method.

Keep in mind, a Cummins/Allison combination has a TCM-transmission control module that communicates with the ECM-engine control module. Together they will not allow the engine to overspeed from use of the exhaust brake. The modules will command an upshift if you allow your RPM's to redline. This condition greatly reduces effectiveness of the exhaust brake, and requires reducing speed with only your service brakes until the modules allow a downshift.

The latest recommendation is to begin your descent in the next lower gear than you climbed. But even that has a falllicy, as some mountains/hills have a much steeper descent than ascent.
Bottom line, slower is better, you can increase downhill speed easily, hard to slow down after you realize you're almost out of control.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #34
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
..........exhaust brake on all the time. Main reason is I don't want to fool with looking for the switch

Don.... You shouldn't have to look for any important switch. Two or three 15 minute self-training sessions in the seat will solve this problem.

Look at your controls. See how they are arranged. There should be a logic to the setup. I can't speak for all coaches, but in my DS all operational controls (switches/buttons important while underway) are to the left of the driver. Most non-essentials are on the right. There are two non-essentials to the left, but they don't pose any problem. Each control has its own unique shape, with two minor exceptions. I could NEVER confuse my exhaust brake switch with my transmission panel, even though they are right next to each other. The two exceptions are that 1) the headlight switch is the same shape knob as the wiper switch beside it, both mounted directly above 2) the ICC Flash is the same type rocker switch as the battery boost beside it.

The point is that the combination of location and shape make each switch or control uniquely identifiable with no visual reference required. A modicum of practice will allow you to lay your hand immediately in the right place, exact position and function then refined by touch. No looking required.

Give it a try!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, engine