Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Had a Vette for 17 of the last 20 years...never had a ticket, and eight of those years it was a red Vette. With a Corvette, it isn't about how fast it will go (and it will go fast)...it is about how quick you get to the posted speed limit. And if you aren't laying rubber, they can't ticket you for acceleration

I wouldn't want to try that argument in some jurisdictions.

In Ontario for instance, that can (and is on occasion) interpreted as 'stunt driving' and is one of several offences that will yield an 'administrative penalty' (read road-side decision by the police, not a judge in court) of a 7 day vehicle impoundment and 7 day DL suspension plus whatever a judge hands out in court later.

A second conviction can yield a $10,000 fine and a 10 year licence suspension.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Had a Vette for 17 of the last 20 years...never had a ticket, and eight of those years it was a red Vette. With a Corvette, it isn't about how fast it will go (and it will go fast)...it is about how quick you get to the posted speed limit. And if you aren't laying rubber, they can't ticket you for acceleration

In PA, excessive accelleration is a citation based on the opinion of the LEO. No need to burn rubber!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguigley View Post
....in a state that we are visiting and I don't pay the ticket, will that state notify my home state of Pennsylvania?

Those pesky traffic cameras.......and in our Corvette....."I can't drive 55" !

This has not happened to me...yet.
They will notify your home state as well as your insurance company, If you can't drive your corvette at 55 mph.....maybe you should get an automobile that you can drive at 55 mph. My corvette will drive at 55 mph so it sound like an operator problem....
Old 12-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I wouldn't want to try that argument in some jurisdictions.

In Ontario for instance, that can (and is on occasion) interpreted as 'stunt driving' and is one of several offences that will yield an 'administrative penalty' (read road-side decision by the police, not a judge in court) of a 7 day vehicle impoundment and 7 day DL suspension plus whatever a judge hands out in court later.

A second conviction can yield a $10,000 fine and a 10 year licence suspension.
Of topic but! In 1969, living in Toronto, i purchase my first new car a 1969 Plymouth HEMI GTX. Smoked up the tires one day and was cited for excessive noise! How times have changed
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Of topic but! In 1969, living in Toronto, i purchase my first new car a 1969 Plymouth HEMI GTX. Smoked up the tires one day and was cited for excessive noise! How times have changed
Steve
Bet you wish you still has her today........I would
A buddy of mine had one in the mid 70's.......midnight blue metallic, blue tinted windows(light factory tint) with a blue interior........Cross ram on top the power plant Mickey Thompson series 50 rear tires.........about 1' of regular pavement between the gears........3 speed automatic, rest of the path was black top filled w/rubber
Old 12-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
In Texas, as in many states, it is a civil matter, not a traffic fine. There are no warrants, nothing shows up on your driving record, etc.

When I got my ticket in the mail for a "red light infraction" it included a photograph showing my car in the intersection with the light still yellow. Upon inquiry of the municipality that had sent the notice, I was informed the fine (remember it is not a traffic ticket) would not be dismissed and the penalty for not paying it would be to put a "hold" on my registration the following year. They also suggested I take them to small claims court if I feel they were not correct because it was a civil matter, not a traffic citation. Really? Pretty smart on their part. No way am I going to spend thousands worth of my time to get out of a $75 fine, and they were counting on that.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
In Texas, as in many states, it is a civil matter, not a traffic fine. There are no warrants, nothing shows up on your driving record, etc.

When I got my ticket in the mail for a "red light infraction" it included a photograph showing my car in the intersection with the light still yellow. Upon inquiry of the municipality that had sent the notice, I was informed the fine (remember it is not a traffic ticket) would not be dismissed and the penalty for not paying it would be to put a "hold" on my registration the following year. They also suggested I take them to small claims court if I feel they were not correct because it was a civil matter, not a traffic citation. Really? Pretty smart on their part. No way am I going to spend thousands worth of my time to get out of a $75 fine, and they were counting on that.

A gov't org with a good business plan. Smart!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #50

Rexhall Owners Group
Received an HOV citation from FL a couple of years ago with picture of a new Caddy with my license plate number on an Iowa plate. Only problem was mine was an Ohio plate and attached to a 1956 Pontiac. To add insult to injury, the plate had been replaced the year before with an Antique plate.

Told the person at the other end of the phone when I called that they weren't doing anything to encourage me to visit and they really should have a LEO review before sending out the notice or at least confirm state and auto rather than let the outdated computer data make the decision.

Ohio just changed its stance on traffic cams. A LEO now has to be stationed at the cam for tickets to be issued. Probably means the end of the traffic cams. Too many cities and townships using them as money machines caused the change.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguigley View Post
........ Those pesky traffic cameras.......and in our Corvette....."I can't drive 55!

Unable to control your car, Bob? ;-)
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.......And if you aren't laying rubber, they can't ticket you for acceleration

Sure they can, particularly if there are any other vehicles around. Careless/Reckless, Unsafe Ops, etc.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #53

I appreciate all of the responses and opinions....very enlightening.

FYI: The Corvette is white and I've never been stopped for a traffic violation while driving it. You've got to know where it is safe to use it's performance capabilities....and I hope you all recognized the "I can't drive 55" as lyrics from a song by Sammy Haggar.

It's actually the other vehicles in our motor stable that have camera problems, including our motorhome which was recently flagged in Council Bluff, IA for some violation, they weren't clear on what it was, but they were clear that they wanted $100 from me for doing it. I'm still debating with myself whether or not to pay it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #54

(A) pay the ticket (B) slow down.just because you drive a corvette does not give the right do drive faster then the posted speed limit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
In Australia they have cameras on the overpasses. They take pictures of the passing cars at each overpass and calculate the average speed. If it is above the speed limit a ticket is issued.

I worked with the fellow from NSW who implemented the system.