Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Just say, I get a speeding ticket...

....in a state that we are visiting and I don't pay the ticket, will that state notify my home state of Pennsylvania?

Those pesky traffic cameras.......and in our Corvette....."I can't drive 55" !

This has not happened to me...yet.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'd imagine they'd put a warrant out for your arrest at the time of the court hearing since you didn't pay and you then don't show. Not likely worth the cost of extraditing you from another state but I sure wouldn't show up in that state ever again.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep getting emails saying I owe a traffic fine in NY but I've never been in NY nor do I ever plan to be!
Maybe they'll mail you the summons and fine info.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44181400/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/motorists-beware-fake-traffic-ticket-email-scam/
Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I'd imagine they'd put a warrant out for your arrest at the time of the court hearing since you didn't pay and you then don't show. Not likely worth the cost of extraditing you from another state but I sure wouldn't show up in that state ever again.
Not only is it possible that you'd be issued a warrant for arrest but, that warrant will go onto a nation wide data base. So, the next time you're cruising around in YOUR STATE, in your little 'Vette' and a tail light is out, and local LEO decides to pull you over for it, guess what he/she is going to prior to exiting his/her vehicle, RUN THE PLATE FOR WARRANTS. So, in your "hypothetical question" , I'd hypothetically PAY THE TICKET so it would not come back to haunt you.

And one more thing. In many states and jurisdictions, the fine and or, the ticket may be waved if, the person attends a "traffic school" which, in many cases is only about 4-8 hours long. And, it might not even go on your record either.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #6

Depends on the state. Some states a red light camera ticket is a civil case instead of a misdemeanor. If that is the case it will only bite you if you get stopped for any reason in that particular state but won't haunt you at home.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #7

If you got a ticket from an Officer that you signed to appear on it will depend on the state. Most likely no state will extradite for a speeding ticket, which in most cases is an infraction, not a misdemeanor. What very well may happen though is your state may withold your registration until you take care of the ticket, it all depends on the agreements between states ect. All warrants are put into a nationwide system, so if that state does issue a warrant you can be arrested if stopped. Like said before I would "hypothetically" pay the ticket, it is not worth the chance.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguigley View Post
....in a state that we are visiting and I don't pay the ticket, will that state notify my home state of Pennsylvania?
First... When you enter PA you will see some signs.. Residents inform me that they are not kidding. (No personal knowledge though).

In days of old there were some states that did not inform your home state... However with improvements in communications and improvements in agreements between the states it is my understanding that is no longer the case.

HOWEVER it may take 'em a while to forward the info and your state may or may not suspend you for fail to appear.

My recommendations are as follows:
1: DO NOT SPEED
2: Pay the fine.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #9

It is always best to take care of any tickets as soon as possible. When in doubt contact the court clerk for that jurisdiction, they will explain the options and repercussions in a simple, nonjudgmental way, it is what they do all the time. Small things can grow very large if not cleaned up right away.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I would agree....pay the fine. Nothing worse then getting stopped in a state that has a warrant for your arrest. And you know it would happen at the worst possible time.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #11

Wink Spam (Phishing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I keep getting emails saying I owe a traffic fine in NY but I've never been in NY nor do I ever plan to be!
Maybe they'll mail you the summons and fine info.
Its called phishing. They most likely want you to open it so they can get your email address to spam the hell out of you. Ignore this type of email and don't answer them and don't open it or they will sell your email address to all kinds of spammers. Not really that dangerous but a PITA
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #12

Around 1990 I was living in CA, I got a speeding ticket outside a small town in NE AZ. I paid the fine, and kept all the receipts etc. for years.

Renewed my CA drivers license, moved to NC in 1995, got my new license there. Move to GA in 1998, and go to get my GA license, and WHOOO - according to their records, I had a warrant in AZ for that ticket supposedly being unpaid. Of course, as we were preparing to move to GA, and only a couple weeks before, we had run across all that documentation for that ticket, and of course, 8 years later, decided to throw it all away. I called the courthouse or the police department, and told them the story - they had just moved, and cleaned out a lot of their records; oh no......... But, they found the records that I had indeed paid, got with the GA DMV and ensured that any and all records reflected I had paid that fine.

It is very scary to think that for almost 8 years, there were some records out there showing that I had a warrant for an unpaid ticket that had been paid.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the camera caught you I bet you broke the law. Pay the ticket. What makes you better than all others who break the law?
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not familiar with all states, but likely you would not be extradited. Also likely you will lose no points on you license (does the camera show who the driver is or the name of the person?) Likely just a company that does this for the jurisdiction and gets a cut of the fines and nothing to do with anything that would/could result in an actual arrest.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote