Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Just sold my RV online....here's how it worked out for me

Every now and again there are threads started by owners wanting to sell their RV and asking how others do it. I just sold mine (will be buying another!) and thought I would post my experience. It was a 2011 Fleetwood Storm in good shape and well maintained. I had never sold a RV before online, but have sold several cars online.

I put a "pay for" ad up on RV Trader. It was 60 bucks for 8 weeks and 20 photos. I did the "free" add on RVT.com. That was 3 pictures and since it was free, theoretically you could run it as long as you want. I did a free Craigslist ad, and finally did a "sort of" free listing on eBay- eBay only charges you if you sell the RV using eBay. It's free to list however. So I put my ads up in 4 places for 60 bucks. That's plenty of exposure I think.

My wife "staged" the RV like you see on those home shows on HGTV and did a fantastic job. She just used stuff we had around the house- tablecloths, nice comforter with pillows for the bedroom, place settings for the table, some nice runners for the floor, nice towels for the bathroom, nice matching dishtowels for the kitchen, some assorted knick-knacks on the shelves and counters, etc. etc. The next thing you know it doesn't even look like a RV interior anymore and it didn't cost us anything. Take a look at most of the ads you see- boring RV interiors. Ours really stood out I think, even though our RV was worth no more than the MANY others that were for sale that were very similar to ours.

On the outside, I just did a decent wash, windexed the windows, and put some tire shine on the tire sidewalls. Nothing fancy, but the outside looked nice and clean. We also emptied all the basement compartments, vacuumed the dirt out, then wiped them down. Again, nothing fancy. No one wants to see all your personal things stuffed into your basement compartments and cupboards when they're shopping for a RV I think.

We took tons of pictures, inside and out, and chose the best 20 or so. They were all in focus, and we closed the shades when we did inside photos so that the sun wouldn't overexpose our pictures. How many ads do you see with pictures that are too dark, too bright, or so out of focus and you can barely make out what they're trying to show you?

When I wrote the narrative that went with the ad, I wrote LOTS. Everything I knew about the RV. Everything I did to the RV. Gave the maintenance history. Told the story. Welcomed outside inspection. I really don't think you can tell a potential buyer too much about your rig.

When it came to listing price, I used the same strategy I have used with cars. Yup, I take a glance at the NADA value but that's just a guideline. Sometimes one gets more, sometimes you get less. What I did with the RV (like I have done with cars) is go to the biggest RV selling websites (RVtrader and RVT), searched for all the RVs similar to mine plus or minus one year, did the search, and sorted by price. Then I went to the low end of the pricing, which in my case corresponded very closely to the NADA value, added a small amount so I had room to haggle, and made my listing price near that point. It really was unbelievable how much people were asking for their RVs when I did this technique for my RV. Many were asking thousands of dollars over both NADA value and the going rate for their RVs on both of these sites. I imagine their RVs are going to sit on the market for a long time.

Once I listed, I found I got the most views, by far, on RVTrader and RVT. And of those two, RVTrader got me the most leads. In the couple of weeks it took me to sell the RV, I got a few hundred views on RVTrader and RVT, and maybe tens of views on eBay. Not sure about Craigslist as I'm not sure it tells you. RVTrader gave me about 8 REAL leads, RVT one REAL lead, Craigslist one REAL lead, and eBay nothing. Surprisingly, I got very few crazy lowball offers.

When people did call about the RV, half wanted to haggle right away, without even seeing the RV or asking me questions about it. I shut that down right away by saying that if we agree on a price, are you going to come down and buy my rig? The answer is no, of course. So then I say, why are we going to go through the trouble of agreeing on a price then? I tell them (politely) that like any used vehicle, I'm certainly willing to consider lowering my asking. Let's talk price when you're ready to buy. And by the way, go on the website where you found my rig, sort for all the other RVs just like mine, and sort by price low to high. You'll see mine is already pretty competitively priced. If you go with many of the other rigs you're shopping mine against, you'll probably pay more!

A few people came to visit my rig. Got a few phone calls. After almost two weeks someone bought it, sight unseen. He asked all the right questions on the phone, then made a serious offer. After a little back and forth, we both got a fair price which was pretty darn close to NADA and my original asking price. He had it inspected, and I even drove it out to his house for him so he didn't have to pay for a plane ticket.

What worked for me, Executive Summary:
Empty your RV of all of your belongings
Stage the inside
Clean the outside
Take lots of properly lit, in focus pictures
Use RV Trader for sure, then all the free sources you can after that
tell a potential buyer as much as you can about your RV in the ad
don't ask for a crazy high price for your RV just because everyone else is
don't bother haggling until a buyer says he/she is actually ready to buy

That was my experience, for what it's worth : ) Sold in two weeks.

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good writeup.

I did almost the exact same thing. Clean and Staged. Staging doesn't have to be elaborate. I spent $30 at the Dollar store, bought some cute nick-nak things: table mats, plate, cup, bowls with glass beads in them, etc. The photos looked like something a dealer would do.

I sold mine on Craigslist,

ALSO - This is why I got premium dollar for my MH; I maintain a blog site and document everything I do to it. Photos, writeup, etc. This allows the prospective buyer to see exactly how I've used the MH, and how its been maintained.

This is my old 2001 Mirada site

This is my new 1999 Southwind site

Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

That's the way to do it and I think the key is good detailed photographs and full disclosure on maintenance past and present.

I just love the two line descriptions with one crappy out of focus photo...good luck. The thing might be a diamond in the rough, but I'm not throwing the dice on wasting my time.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

yes, I've successfully sold several vehicles - including one years ago(2009) on eBay where I drove it from GA to Norman, OK to meet at the buyers bank for the transaction...

but, I'm always amazed at people who 'try' their hand at selling something online, yet post few, or NO, photos - provide only a slight description, and a few who even forget to even list their CONTACT info!

yesterday, I saw an ad in the local paper under 'homes for sale'... it was a decent listing, and even gave the owner's phone number and email address(for photos and more info), yet listed no address for the property(?)... ok... so i emailed the address and asked for the address and more info so that I could get an idea of where it was exactly and ride by to take a peek.
I received later a return email, congratulating me on contacting the owner, and a TON of descriptive information about the home - and 5 emails to follow with photos...
Yet, no address.

but, the owner had listed his name, so I used the local property tax record website to find the address - ok, looks like maybe someplace I'd like to ride by and see a little bit more of... I emailed the owner again and asked to confirm the address as '23__ Jackson Rd, _____'.... to make sure I was correct.

the next email from the owner let me know this property wasn't for me - the reply was that "the home is not yet available to show, I am not at the property, and if my neighbors see anyone on the property I have directed them to call the Sheriff immediately" (?) what??

yes, this is a certainly a great way to sell your home : /
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Good post on how to sell an RV correctly. Good luck on your "new " rig

momdoc
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

thanks for sharing the details. anyone who wants to sell his/hers would benefit by following the methods in this thread. congratulations!!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

That's the way to do it!
I hate when someone posts an RV or a house for sale and in the pictures is all their crap every where! For goodness sake, at least clear off the counter tops! LOL
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
That's the way to do it!
I hate when someone posts an RV or a house for sale and in the pictures is all their crap every where! For goodness sake, at least clear off the counter tops! LOL
X 1,000,000+ I cannot the people who list their places/rv's etc and put a ton of pics online where they do nothing to make it look presentable. They leave it looking like a Chitt Whole and can't understand "why" it doesn't sell! Jus' sayin'.............
Old 05-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #9

The OP's recommendations are spot on. Some people simply don't know how to sell stuff. With RVs and boats, for example, good descriptions and great number of good photos are mandatory since so many people use the internet. I won't even look at an ad without photos, and if it has poor photos I'm turned off. I sold my last Class A on CL in spite of using RVtrader and a couple other pay sites.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #10

Very good! Wish more people would consider what you've written. Both seller and buyer benefit.

I really appreciate the ads that have a floorplan picture so I don't have to do online searches for those.

Thanks,
Shelia
Old 05-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Good write up & tips
Close to what I have in process.
I didn't do eBay but would add iRV2 classifieds as a way to get exposure.
Do the suggested research on pricing. With other sales I have been successful listing at a priced to sell price and staying relatively firm.. usually I won't say mo to a reasonable offer but rather I'll indicate the listing is fairly new...happy to take their offer andget back with them if I don't get a better one in a reasonable time...lots of times they up the offer to or near asking as they gave decided they want itjust fishing for the best price.
It helps to have the data for similar model yrs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

As to photos, whether a RV or a house, I want to see photos that show the relationship between rooms. I don't want to see a bathroom vanity all by itself. I want to see the flow from the bathroom into the next room, so show me the lovely vanity, but also show me where it is and what leads into or out of the room. I hate one dimensional pictures of a space. I'll lose interest and move on.

Excellent post, BTW.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Copy an image of the floorplan from the mfgr or brochure and include it as one of your Pix.

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
yes, I've successfully sold several vehicles - including one years ago(2009) on eBay where I drove it from GA to Norman, OK to meet at the buyers bank for the transaction...

but, I'm always amazed at people who 'try' their hand at selling something online, yet post few, or NO, photos - provide only a slight description, and a few who even forget to even list their CONTACT info!

yesterday, I saw an ad in the local paper under 'homes for sale'... it was a decent listing, and even gave the owner's phone number and email address(for photos and more info), yet listed no address for the property(?)... ok... so i emailed the address and asked for the address and more info so that I could get an idea of where it was exactly and ride by to take a peek.
I received later a return email, congratulating me on contacting the owner, and a TON of descriptive information about the home - and 5 emails to follow with photos...
Yet, no address.

but, the owner had listed his name, so I used the local property tax record website to find the address - ok, looks like maybe someplace I'd like to ride by and see a little bit more of... I emailed the owner again and asked to confirm the address as '23__ Jackson Rd, _____'.... to make sure I was correct.

the next email from the owner let me know this property wasn't for me - the reply was that "the home is not yet available to show, I am not at the property, and if my neighbors see anyone on the property I have directed them to call the Sheriff immediately" (?) what??

yes, this is a certainly a great way to sell your home : /
I'm guessing that was a scammer, not a legit for sale listing.