Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello;
We are looking for any info on whether it is practical to change out the stock Ford V10 Air filter to a K&N filter! We want to know if it is worth the extra cost? Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello;
We are looking for any info on whether it is practical to change out the stock Ford V10 Air filter to a K&N filter! We want to know if it is worth the extra cost? Thank you.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #3

If you are going to keep the MH a few years, there is no extra cost since it is the last one you will have to buy. A little extra investment now that is off set by no cost in the future.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just remember that the K&N requires regular maintenance to keep it filtering properly. If you aren't inclined to do that sort of thing, or are apt to postpone it, the K&N is not a good choice for you. Many people have enough trouble remembering to the simple swap out a paper cartridge every year (or so).

If by "worth the extra cost" you mean will you gain in fuel economy and thus save money to offset the cost, in my opinion the answer is no. But if you mean can you buy fewer paper cartridge filters if you have the reusable K&N, the answer is yes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #5

Also bear in mind that the K&N clean/dry/reoil maintenance cycle takes about a day (after the washing, you have to let the filter dry out completely before you re-oil it, which takes about a day).

That said, I'm considering doing the same thing. I'm averaging around 10K miles per air filter, so the K&N will pay for itself fairly quickly.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for the quick response, we appreciate it. We had been told by another RVer "that it is the only way to go", better gas mileage, more HP, etc.; so we thought we should check into it further. So thanks for the good info.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
mahlon: i made adapters from cardboard, plastic and sheetmetal and use a vacuum cleaner to suck air through my various k&n filters to dry them. takes about 1 hour to dry. i oil, then vacuum again to make sure it is not over oiled. over oiling can cause maf sensor fouling. imoh k&n is the only way to go. i have been using k&n's since the 70's and have not worn one out yet.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #8

I used to be a fan of the K&N filter. I will not use them anymore because of the chance that the MAF sensor may get ruined after oiling the filter. I have 2 friends that have had to change MAF sensors on auto engines because of them.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my experience is that maf sensors are cleanable. some mfg have cleaning the maf sensor on their regular maint schedule. when i installed a new k&n on my moho it fouled my maf immediately. i did not expect the new filter to be over oiled. i had to disconnect the maf plug to get the engine to run. it ran very well with the check eng light on in backup mode. after a while, i cleaned the maf with crc electrical parts cleaner. it is still working fine.
k&n says that they will replace any maf sensor that their testing verifies that their filter oil has ruined.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAN L:
when i installed a new k&n on my moho it fouled my maf immediately. i did not expect the new filter to be over oiled. i had to disconnect the maf plug to get the engine to run. it ran very well with the check eng light on in backup mode. after a while, i cleaned the maf with crc electrical parts cleaner. it is still working fine.
k&n says that they will replace any maf sensor that their testing verifies that their filter oil has ruined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this is the very reason I won't use them anymore. The coach that we have came with one and it is coming off soon. I have one for a Workhorse I will be giving away for free if anybody wants it.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'd suggest taking a look HERE for some objective test data.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rusty, thanks for the really good info. the filter that they evaluated is the one that fits in my stock airbox and the one i am now using.
i'm still gonna continue to use k&n's for now though. i have heard that there is another brand of oiled gauze air filter out there that has more cotton in it. i might try one of them if they flow enough air and they have my application.
right now, i think that the added air flow and my banks ecm upgrade are working synergistically for me.
i wish i could find 2 ea 3 inch 2 bolt exhaust pipe flanges so that i could install 2 low restriction mufflers without cutting or welding. lots of 3 bolt flanges available, but i haven't been able to find 2 bolt flanges.
does anyone have experience with MAGNAFLOW mufflers on the 8.1? are they too loud?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will not run a K&N on my diesel, because of reports like Rusty has noted. It seems that the manufacturers standrd filter does pretty well.

As for the Manaflow muffler, I had one on my last Power Stroke and it was not too loud to me. I had the choice of two different lengths and I chose the shorter one due to $$$$. It was a bit louder than a stock exhaust, but much quiter than a straight pipe.

Ken
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #14

I have one on my Frontier, Southwind, S-10, F-250, F-350TD, and many other vehicles, never had a problem with any of them. I have 86,000 miles on the lowest mileage vehicle, and 250,000 miles on the highest.