Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kangaroo Gasoline

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with fuel of any kind from Kangaroo stations? My first local fill up with our new (to us) coach was at a Murphys in the Wallmart parking lot 20 miles from our house. I just discovered a Kangaroo station less than half that distance with competitive prices and the station looks pretty good, even has a commercial diesel island for the big rigs. I've never fueled up at a Kangaroo and am not real familiar with the station. Would hate to fill my coach with nasty gasoline.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd be careful, it might make you jumpy.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

It might be specially made for Bounder Motor homes.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #4

Can't be any worse than the Murphy gas you are using.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I bet if you follow the tanker truck from a Kangaroo station, it's next stop might be a Murphy station. Many stations with an unrecognizable oil company brand name buy from suppliers and refineries that make gasoline for many outlets. If they sell a lot of gas, it's most likely 'fresh' fuel and not going to be an issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I periodically use Kangaroo gas in my car and it doesn't seem to have any effect one way or the other.
Haven't used it in the RV simply because other stations are easier to get in and out of.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love the Bounder and jumpy quips

Google maps shows it has the old style perpendicular island and will be very easy to access. I've found out that as stated above that Lanier trucks usuall supply all the no-name stations like Murphys and Kangaroo so the gas is not different but I was just concerned about the quality of the station and the integrity of the tanks, etc. I've also since found out that Kangaroo is pretty much widespread throught the southeast US. I didn't know if it was just a local one hit wonder. Soooo, I'll be taking the coach for a top off before the effects of Irma head this way Sunday/Monday.

Thanks for the responses.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I try to buy only from stations that carry the "Top Tier" rating. This insures top quality.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
I try to buy only from stations that carry the "Top Tier" rating. This insures top quality.
The price difference in a full tank of "Top Tier" gasoline and Kangaroo gas could most likely buy a can of gas additive many times over. The additive could make up for the lack of detergents "Top Tier" gas is supposed to have. While the TT gas is recommended by many high performance car makers, not sure it's needed in a truck engine, especially with the occasional can of gas additive that contains detergent.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Who decides that a gas is "Top Tier" and how does that rating assure top quality. Are you saying that being a Top Tire would somehow keep the station from getting water in the tank? Since you live in an urban area that may be true. I don't and in my area there are only two distributors that service all of the stations. The truck will go from a Shell station a mile down the road and fill a 7-11 and then to an Exxon. It is the same gas.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK...

I used to go with my next door neighbor, a big-rig driver, when he'd go pickup a tanker of gasoline. Here is how it works...

There are two big tanks of gasoline, one premium, one regular. The only thing different between the gasoline in any station is the additives put in. Typically the driver adds them (if there are any!) when filling the tanker.

All stations have the same gasoline. The difference is additives. At one time, tank condition was a factor, but today's pollution rules requiring tanks to be replaced and made so they don't corrode (fiberglass and plastics basically) limit the crud in the fuel. Another factor is age of the fuel, but that's generally not important unless you're in a really remote area. Fuels with alcohol added have this done at the pump, so that the mix doesn't sit in the tanks.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
OK...

I used to go with my next door neighbor, a big-rig driver, when he'd go pickup a tanker of gasoline. Here is how it works...

There are two big tanks of gasoline, one premium, one regular. The only thing different between the gasoline in any station is the additives put in. Typically the driver adds them (if there are any!) when filling the tanker.

All stations have the same gasoline. The difference is additives. At one time, tank condition was a factor, but today's pollution rules requiring tanks to be replaced and made so they don't corrode (fiberglass and plastics basically) limit the crud in the fuel. Another factor is age of the fuel, but that's generally not important unless you're in a really remote area. Fuels with alcohol added have this done at the pump, so that the mix doesn't sit in the tanks.

Just look at the Colonial Pipeline issues. The pipeline goes down in Texas or Alabama and the entire southeast and east coast runs short, not just certain stations. All gas going into the pipeline meets certain criteria and the differences occur at the tanker loading terminal.

How Pipelines Ship Refinery Products to the Pump | RefinerLink
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

In this day and age, gasoline is gasoline. It's all the same, no matter what "brand" it may be.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
In this day and age, gasoline is gasoline. It's all the same, no matter what "brand" it may be.
I agree, but many folks feel if they pay more it's better. Let them have their fantasy, I'm sure they're convinced their vehicle runs better on the high priced stuff.

Bob & Donna

Tags
gas