Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #1

On eBay USAutctions is selling a lot of RVs that have totaled registrations and were flooded ... though they indicate all units systems seem to be working I am wondering is anyone has any thoguhts on these units .... Can't beat the price, but then again !

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #2

On eBay USAutctions is selling a lot of RVs that have totaled registrations and were flooded ... though they indicate all units systems seem to be working I am wondering is anyone has any thoguhts on these units .... Can't beat the price, but then again !

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #3

I would be VERY suspicious of ANY vehicle that has been flooded, and especially an RV that probably had water (and who knows what else) in the walls, floors, and furniture. I guess it depends on how much risk you want to take and how much work/money you might have to invest to correct problems later.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:32 AM   #4

I know some auto rebuilders and they all avoid water damage vehicles like the plague.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #5

I am from south Mississippi. I went to Reliable RV sales lot. Every one of their rvs had been flooded with at least 4 ft of SALT water. The insurance co paid them for all of their stock. Water is bad news, but salt water is lots worse. These are probably the units you are talking about.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #6

One thing to consider is definately the
Flooring and walls, When we had a plumbing
accident I had to replace the flooring and
the carpeting and it was quite a job. the
sub flooring is made of either Pressed or
particle board and it just deterates..I'd
only consider it if you were handy with
remodeling and repairs. Pete
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 AM   #7

Unless the seller is paying you enough to take it to cover the dump fee after you remove the axels for your BBQ pit. I would run and run fast towards a dealer who would not sell this junk in the first place. Rule #1 I have learned in RV shopping protection and care. Water from any direction or source - in or out - coming down or up is their worst enemy. Water out ranks fire and kids. Fire go shopping - Kids Duct Tape and glue Keep the dust on ya boot
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent 30 years in the insurance business dealing with cars and trucks. I suspect the RV's were "totaled" and the dealers worked a deal to keep the salvage.
In Florida and many other states the law requires the title be stamped or otherwise noted as a flood vehicle. The reason being, people would buy them cheap and take them into another state, get a new title and sell them. The buyers not knowing they are flood vehicles will soon have continuing electrical and mechanical problems.
If you buy one, you will have nothing but trouble. They may not appear immediately, but, you will soon hate the coach with all the problems it will give you.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I suspect the RV's were "totaled" and the dealers worked a deal to keep the salvage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to me that the insurance companies who allow retention of these RV's after declaring a total loss is perpetrating an offense against unwary future potential owners by allowing them to be resold rather than destroyed. The irony is that after these vehicles are sold they'll probably be covered on another insurance company's policy for subsequent losses.

I suppose they'll declare it a 'total loss' again if the brakes rust up from the salt water and the RV gets totaled again in an accident. I bet they'll even pay for the medical expenses of those injured in a wreck that may occur too.

What a vicious circle just so some poor ole' RV dealer can make an extra buck or two.

Insurance companies and dealers who deal in this junk should be banned from business for unethical practices.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. Instead of listing the things that could go wrong I find that it's easier to list the things that are probably not damaged. The list gets real small that way. The only possible use for a flooded RV is salvaging parts. However, those parts would have to have been above the water line. With the exception of TVs and entertainment gear, most of the good stuff is down low. These things should be removed and then send the hulk to the crusher to keep unsuspecting future owners from getting stuck big time.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:29 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard,
I am not trying to defend insurance companies. I have no more "love" for them than the average person.
However, the companies are complying with the respective state laws. The vehicles in this situation probably have some good parts which can be "stripped" and used as used parts. If every vehicle that was a total loss was crushed, your insurance rates and cost to repair vehicles would rise dramatically. The insurance companies pass all the expenses and costs on to us. So, don't think for a minute all the large verdicts that are paid by insurance companies don't eventually come out of the consumer's pocket. Unfortunately, there are always those who seem to take advantage of a situation for their benefit.
If the RV's are sold as Salvage or total losses, they probably will not be able to get a new title. While I have been out of the business a few years, most states have closed the "loop hole" of taking the title to another state and getting a new "clean" one which is also illegal.
Lastly, most items that would have problems as a result of a flood would not be covered by the insurance company. They most likely would not cover mechanical and electrical problems. You may have some rusting, but, that is also not covered under most policies. The Extended Warranty company may have problems, provided they accepted to insure the vehicle, which I suspect they would not.
Bottom line, if you even think they may have been in a flood, stay away from them.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a comment on the problem. Autos were also flooded. some companies follow the above described "disposal on the unsuspecting". Progressive insisted on crushing the cars that they covered per a TV news program locally. I commend them as many of us have heard horror stories of autos that have been flooded by even rain water. the wiring and other problems never end!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #13

They might be a good source for roof top air conditioners, fantastic fans,...unless the wind and debris trashed those things too.... I'll think I'll pass