Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Kayak Karrier ideas?

I have a Class A motor home, Tiffin Allegro RED 33, and I tow a convertible on a dolly. I would like to take along out two kayaks but I don't know where I can carry them. They are too long to put in the basement. Is anyone aware of a carry rack that I could put on my coach that does NOT require putting holes in my roof?

Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not aware of any rack that would stay on the roof without putting holes or anchors in the roof.

Some folks strap short, whitewater kayaks to the rear ladder or stand them upright in bracket that attaches to the receiver hitch.
Another solution is folding kayaks that can fit in your compartments or better yet, one like this:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by Snyderwheels View Post
I have a Class A motor home, Tiffin Allegro RED 33, and I tow a convertible on a dolly. I would like to take along out two kayaks but I don't know where I can carry them. They are too long to put in the basement. Is anyone aware of a carry rack that I could put on my coach that does NOT require putting holes in my roof?
This isn't on but might be on option. Obviously, kayak length is a real limitation.

Another option might be to glue a typical kayak rack to the roof. I used 3M 5200 adhesive to glue on solar panels and it is pretty strong stuff. That said, I think my kayak would get much less use if I had to pull it off the roof of my RV (it stores nicely on the roof of my jeep).
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
I put a hard top on my jeep and mounted Yakima racks bolted through the hard top. works great. While I was looking to see what I was going to do I did find a rack (rv kayack racks I think) that goes on the back with a 3 point hitch and still allowed a towed. Would not work for me as I haul 4 kayacks but would carry 2 standing up.
2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
I made a rack to carry our 2 17 ocean kayaks on our tracker convertible. In the rear I had an upright going from the trailer hitch to above the roof. Then a 90 degree turn towards the front. At the front, another 90 degree down bend and then I split it into 2 lengths ( think a fork) that went down to where they hooked into 2 extra trailer hitch receivers. Back n the top, I had a couple cross members and a couple vertical rises to attach the kayaks. I set it all up with slip joints and pins so I could break it down when at home. It worked great for the 10 years of so we had it and now the new owner is enjoying it. I'll see if I have any pics.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I had a 31' Class C that I carried 2 sea kayaks on. I carried these all over the east coast from Florida to Maine to Wisconsin, to Tennessee.

The same method could work with a Class A.

I basically made a set of stryofoam holders that cradled each of the kayaks up off the top of the Class C's roof. Here are the steps.
  1. I bought a sheet of thinner Styrofoam, made the shape that I wanted and then filled them with the can foam. I embedded a piece of rope into each so that they would be held on/under the kayak to make it easier to hold everything in place. I made the blocks high enough to carry the kayaks up side down to keep water out.
  2. The tips of the kayaks had to be separated to go on either side of the AC unit so I used a piece of PVC pipe (~+2' long) & threaded a rope through it with eyes on either side, the rope from the Styrofoam blocks would then be threaded through the eyes as I tied everything down. Did the same thing in the back, this kept the kayaks evenly spaced and prevented movement. In the middle of the PVC pipe I cut an opening an pulled the rope out and made a eye This would be used to string a rope across the top of the Kayaks and down both sides of the RV.
  3. To hold the front down I took some metal channel and fastened it to the frame in front of the back tire, having enough exposed to put an eye bolt on either side. I used some quick carbineer type clips to make it faster to connect.
  4. I used a couple of small foam blocks you buy to put a canoe on a car roof, I used these to hold the rope of the top corners of the RV.
  5. To hold down the back of the kayaks I dropped a rope from each kayak and tied to my trailer hitch/bike rake.
  6. To load the kayaks I would put the foam blocks in place on the roof, prop up a kayak against the back, go on top, pull the kayak up and put them into their place, I'd then just tie everything down.
Overall everything worked good. Never took any pictures of the setup although a lot of people stopped me and asked how I did it.

You might consider using strapping to hold the kayaks down as the rope had a tendency to stretch. I used this set up for ~10 years taking the kayaks from TN to FL, Wisconsin, Maine, and all places along the east coast.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote