Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridders View Post
I guarantee you that your Generator does more than sip fuel. ......
It's relative. If you get 8mpg and go 64 mph you go from 8 gallons an hour to 9 if you are at max. At max the math would seem to suggest you would be running two AC units.

If your trip takes 30 hours you're only talking 60 bucks or less if I'm doing the math correctly. Pretty insignificant IMO.

Be safe, that's a lot of miles in a short period of time.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Run the generator and AC. I get everything running before I back out from our covered storage. Mid 90s here and coach stays nice and cool the entire trip and is cool when we setup camp.

Thanks, input is appreciated
johnridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Run the generator and AC. I get everything running before I back out from our covered storage. Mid 90s here and coach stays nice and cool the entire trip and is cool when we setup camp.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
If you can, open the dump grate on the AC. It's more efficient than the ducted system when it's hot.

Please elaborate, I don't know what you mean the dump grate. Thanks
Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanFAFA View Post
Our Bigfoot RV has an Onan microquiet which runs on propane. I was told to never drive with the propane turned on.
Our last motorhome had a Propane fired Onan and we ran it constantly as we drove down the highway. Fifteen years and we never had a problem. Now we have the Onan Quiet Diesel and we run it all the time as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I am new to the RV lifestyle. I just purchased a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage and took it on my first long trip. It was 900 miles and we drove it in about 20 hrs. Plenty of stops to let the dog out and three drivers rotating. I will never do this again. I was wiped out the next day and could not get anything accomplished. I always find it difficult to sleep in anything moving, and as a result never got sleep. We did the same on the trip back, but I fried my charge controller in Montana and killed the house batteries driving back. so I did not have a generator running the ac when we pulled back into Las Vegas in July. We arrived 5:00 AM and the temperature was just over 80. Again the next day was a waste as I was too tired to do anything.

We have decided that 600 miles in one day between my Girl and myself would be fine. I do not mind stopping for 6-8 hours to get some sleep. As for driving with the generator? I have basement air and a coleman mounted on the roof forward. I run the coleman and close off half the RV and it keeps the driver compartment and kitchen down to 80 when it is 110 outside.

Thanks
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #35

Again thank y'all for your input and concern about the long distance in a short time. Let me elaborate on my personal history and you might understand a bit better as some of you sounded scared to share the road with me.
For the last 49 yrs I've been an Independent Long Haul Trucker with close to 6 Million accident free miles, so obviously safe driving practice is at the top of my list especially with my Family with me.
1800 miles in 2 days is absolutely doable even as regulated by the DOT for truck drivers, 28 hrs driving broke by 2 sleep breaks 10hrs each is 48 hrs.
The reason we're in such a hurry is that we're limited to 10 days by my wife's work schedule and we're trying to spend as much time as possible with my daughter, grandkids and great Grandkids, the latest we have 2 of we've never met yet. The only reason we're doing this in a Motorhome this time instead of an airplane is the fact that we have nobody to watch our dogs and we won't put them in a kennel. I'll pretend I'm at work til we get there then I'll rest up for the same trip back..LOL.
I promise to do my utmost to not only keep my family safe but to keep you and yours safe as well.
Happy safe travels to all of you
Old 07-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by signet63 View Post
I am new to the RV lifestyle. I just purchased a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage and took it on my first long trip. It was 900 miles and we drove it in about 20 hrs......
Unless it's an emergency..... you need to slow down and enjoy the journey!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #37

You can get a roll-down solar screen that attaches to the big window to your left. It makes a big difference. I always avoided traveling west late in the day.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Our last motorhome had a Propane fired Onan and we ran it constantly as we drove down the highway. Fifteen years and we never had a problem. Now we have the Onan Quiet Diesel and we run it all the time as well.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. My friend strongly advised not to, but I definitely want the opinions of people that have been RVing a lot.
WolfmanFAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridders View Post
.....The reason we're in such a hurry is that we're limited to 10 days by my wife's work schedule and we're trying to spend as much time as possible with my daughter, grandkids and great Grandkids, the latest we have 2 of we've never met yet. The only reason we're doing this in a Motorhome this time instead of an airplane is the fact that we have nobody to watch our dogs and we won't put them in a kennel. I'll pretend I'm at work til we get there then I'll rest up for the same trip back..LOL.......
That makes sense to me. I love spending as much time with my kids and grandkids as possible. With your driving record I'm sure you will be just fine brother. Have fun.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanFAFA View Post
Thanks. I was wondering about that. My friend strongly advised not to, but I definitely want the opinions of people that have been RVing a lot.
The only time I touch my propane tank valve is at the propane filling site. I turn it off, get it filled and turn it back on.

Millions of RVs and every propane powered vehicle will have the valve open. That's how RV fridges stay cool.

Random fires, what does that mean ?

My RV has 16 gallons of propane in a thick steel tank and heavy rubber and steel lines. It has a safety valve that will shut, if there is a sudden exess flow of gas.

It also has 60 gallons of gas in a thin sheet metal tank, with rubber and steel fuel lines running the lenght of the MH, and a pump in the tank.

If propane was unsafe while driving, our " government protectors " would have big stickers plastered all over the dash warning us and devices to shut it off the second we put it in drive.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel