Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Micro fiber cloths have made a big difference in all cleaning. Our common sense of old does not apply to some current technologies. One needs to use enough liquid to suspend dirt but it will not scratch if it is suspended properly and a microfiber cloth is used. I know it took me a long time to become a believer in how I clean camera lenses using some of the same ideas.

conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like many, I have always had a conservative view on washing. I have always believed you must break out the bucket, soap and water to clean the car, boat or motorhome. Some years ago I tried a product called Dri Wash n' Guard. I was very skeptical. Bottom line, it worked as advertised if you used it as directed. I used it on my cars, my 'pride and joy' Ranger boat, and the motorhome. I was never able to see any scratches or swirl marks on any of them.

Later, I switched a another waterless product called No Wet. It also works very well. However, I am growing tired of having to drag out the ladder to get to the high spots so I just ordered the Wash Wax All system. I hope it works as well as some folks here suggest.

Now, I will qualify my opinions by saying I do not use the waterless stuff if the coach/car is really dirty without first at least rinsing off the crud. In fact, most of these products recommend that you do that. However, they usually work fine if the coach is rinsed, then you follow with the waterless product. However, I have used it many times when the coach is only dusty or dirty from travel without a pre-wash or rinse, and I have never seen any ill effects and I am picky about how the coach looks.

I have recently installed Summit Armor mirror polished stainless trim on my coach. If anything will show fine scratches, mirror polished stainless will. I have cleaned the trim with No Wet and micro fiber cloths and there are no fine scratches (this was after a hard rain splashed dirt from my parking area onto the trim).

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Dis-believer......

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Think about it for a minute. You spray something on which does what? Lifts the grime (grit) into suspension? Then you take a nice soft microfiber towel and wipe it across your paint surface? If the grit is fine enough it would at best be like wet sanding. How do you know how fine the grit is? You don't! Ever see those fine little swerl marks? If they're in the clear coat your wax job may cover them up. If in the base paint because you've worked through the clear coat? Just sayin!
As I said in my previous post Terry, until you try it alls you can do is speculate on what is going to happen when others use a waterless car wash. Where I bought mine was out of Redwood City, Calif. . and they have a waterless car wash there and they average 60-100 auto's a day using no water, if scratching was a problem with this process I would think they would not be doing the business that they are doing. Watch some y-tube video's on how micro-fiber towels work and where the dirt goes when you use them and you will see what we are taking about. If you use a wash mitt or any kind of cotton towel to wash you will scratch you paint for sure as the dirt is stuck on the surface of these washing items, not under the microfiber loops. I am not sure how people can say something won't work with no knowledge of what others are using? I think myth-busters done a test on this subject and it passed their test with flying colors!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
As I said in my previous post Terry, until you try it alls you can do is speculate on what is going to happen when others use a waterless car wash. Where I bought mine was out of Redwood City, Calif. . and they have a waterless car wash there and they average 60-100 auto's a day using no water, if scratching was a problem with this process I would think they would not be doing the business that they are doing. Watch some y-tube video's on how micro-fiber towels work and where the dirt goes when you use them and you will see what we are taking about. If you use a wash mitt or any kind of cotton towel to wash you will scratch you paint for sure as the dirt is stuck on the surface of these washing items, not under the microfiber loops. I am not sure how people can say something won't work with no knowledge of what others are using? I think myth-busters done a test on this subject and it passed their test with flying colors!
The problem is I did try it, as I got lazy just like everyone does. Ruined the paint job (may be a slight exaggeration). Promised
Myself I would never do that again. Mess me up one time, shame on you. Mess me up a second time shame on me. Common sense still seems to work out if you use it. Heavy duty marketing ploys are hard to resist however!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Well Terry this is my last post here to you, Myself and others have used it and had no scratches or adverse results on our equipment. It is clear that what ever you used and how you used it did not workout for you, As far as what you claim to be a "market ploy" ,you are not correct, myself and others that posted on this thread about the results of a waterless car wash had nothing to do with a market ploy, our postings here are results from first hand use and results. I am sorry the product you bought and used did not work out for you again. Looks like using water is the only option for you.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #34

I guess I'm not as anal about washing the RV as others. I only carry a portable electric pressure washer from Home Depot to spray off the majority of dirt and grime. I will use the windshield sponge to wash bugs off the front, otherwise the pressure washer does what I want. I took it along on our Alaska trip, used it several times, and by the time we got on the return leg many in the caravan were borrowing it to wash off their rigs. One couple was concerned about decal damage so I showed them on our 5er how to use the wand and flat spray pattern, and distance to maintain from want tip to RV. My pressure washer and associated items fits in a large plastic suitcase for storage. I will take it to Key West this winter too.
When we do return home I wash the rig with the RV brush and car wash soap, then follow up with a repeat wash using a sponge to remove the fine oily mist that remains after a brush wash.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Here is my 2 cents, I am very finicky with my cars. I personnely detail my cars at least twice a year which includes claying and removing any swirl marks, also known as spider webbing, if there are any. I use a sealant and then wax on top of the sealant. I use Eco-smart a waterless solution from the chemical guys most of the time, if used correctly with good microfiber towels there will be very little to no scratching. Washing the conventional way, if not using 2 buckets one with soap and one with rinse water and grit guards for both buckets, will give you lots of spiderwebing. This is from personal experience.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
Here is my 2 cents, I am very finicky with my cars. I personnely detail my cars at least twice a year which includes claying and removing any swirl marks, also known as spider webbing, if there are any. I use a sealant and then wax on top of the sealant. I use Eco-smart a waterless solution from the chemical guys most of the time, if used correctly with good microfiber towels there will be very little to no scratching. Washing the conventional way, if not using 2 buckets one with soap and one with rinse water and grit guards for both buckets, will give you lots of spiderwebing. This is from personal experience.
You are correct. No one has raised the issue of grit in wash water using a bucket with soap. I had my rig washed and waxed in Myrtle Beach in April by a group called 'Keep it Clean' that comes to the RV parks. He showed me his grit guards in his wash buckets. He really paid attention to detail.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
When RV parks prohibit washing, I fill up a bucket with water only and wash one section at a time then dry with a towel. The parks dont want you wasting their water so I dont use a garden hose.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
I always ask when registering if I can washer the front of the rig. I carry a 2 gallon pump sprayer and a squeegee to wash the front. I have yet to have a park say no. I also mention that dead bugs draw flies and nobody likes flies.

I'm also not afraid to go out in the rain to wash the rig either. Otherwise I use the Wash Wax All after rinsing the heavy stuff off with my pump sprayer.

I've noticed that some cg's use raw water thru the sprinkler system. This will leave water spots that are tough to get off. If I find that the sprinklers leave the coach wet, I quickly get out the towels to dry off and give it a once over with spray on detailer polish.

I've never thought about using parking lots to wash the rig.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote