Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Keeping it Clean

As we get closer to spending more time on the road, I would like to learn the secret's of keeping your coach clean. Winnebago recommends not using Truck Washes on their coaches with full body paint. Also, most campgrounds we visit have the big NO WASHING OF RV signs all over the place. So what do you do? Can't just pull out the power washer, bucket and brush on the side of the road.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Around here there are self service car washes that are high enough to accommodate a truck or RV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Try this company: Aircraft RV Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies .

Works on airplanes. Works on motorhones as well, and really well. I doubt that any rv park/campground would object.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, WashWaxAll is great stuff. Works great and is easy to use.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just did a "sponge bath" on mine tonight. We are in week four of a long trip and several campgrounds had sprinkler systems that got me pretty good.

I just take a bucket of clear water and a microfiber towel and wipe down the sides of the coach and use a dry towel after I do a small section at a time.

Usually from head level up it's not necessary to wash, just the lower part of the body gets the worst of it.

Did a truck wash once and never again. Took out my refrigerator for about two days.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess I should add that I use Dri Wash N Guard. Works great even in full sun in Yuma when we were there some years ago. I only need to do it once a year too.

No, I don't sell it anymore either, now just a consumer that likes how it works and protects.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #7

Have had good results with Protect All Quick and Easy Wash.

http://www.protectall.com/qelong.aspx
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Protectall, I use this product on my rv, trailer, truck, suv. Great results and protection..
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For those quick stops overnight I can, and sometimes do, use the California Duster. It does a pretty good job of getting the surface dust off.

For a longer stay I sometimes use Turtle Wax Detailer. Wipe on, wipe off and most times not necessary to wipe off.

Most of the time I'll just wait until I get to where I can wash it.

The vast majority of CG's that I have stayed at will let you bucket-wash the front to get the bugs off. However, the Turtle Wax Detailer will do the same thing, just takes a few minutes more.

We have been on water restrictions here at home in the past and I have "detailed" the entire 40 Feet, top to bottom (excluding roof).
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

The only place that washes our rig is the Blue Beacon Truck wash. Been doing so since first RV in 1994. We have always had Norcold ice boxes and have never had any trouble what so ever. I do tell the Blue Beacon boys not to spray directly into the fridge, water heater or furnace and they do a good job in that. Never used to tell them anything and still no Norcold trouble. Our rig now has full body paint and I won't let them brush it at all so it is a completely touch less wash. They use a RO water spotless rinse and a rainex treatment which makes it shed water. All for under fifty bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	43654  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
KSCRUDE, nice "garage"!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #12

We have used some coin operated wash places that had stalls larger enough for our MH. Once while traveling, we pulled over in a large rest area and washed that dirt off the MH. Not sure if it was OK to do so but the MH was VERY drity and I could not stand it any longer. We have full water tanks so water was not an issue.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #13

I bought a coiled hose used for watering plants inside your house and came with a adapter to hook up to your Kitchen faucet. My coach holds 100 gallon of water . Like you said just about everyone doesn't allow RV washing in parks but nothing says you can't fill up at your site and drive to a remote corner of a asphalt parking lot (walmart etc) and wash your Rig. I do just a small section at a time. You can usually do the 2 sides in the shade then turn it around to finish. One word of caution about using Truck Stop washes is my friend stopped around dusk and washed his Truck and 5er . When he was done he hopped in the Trailer to grab a soda and headed to to RV Park only to find him and his wife had been walking dark colored grease that they couldn't see with it being dusk and wet. It was all in the front of their Truck and in the RV from the door to the refer and back. It took hours to clean but it never was really back to its original condition.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I studyed up on the different "waterless car washes" and from reviews and reading up on the different ones this is what I bought, the family combo pack from Eco Green Auto Clean
I cleaned my Coach with it and I just can not say enough about it, it was a lot of money to spend without knowing about the product but after using it alls I can say is wow! After I was done and sitting having a favorite cool-down drink my wife commented on how it shined, and the surface feels like I just waxed it! Bugs come off the front with ease now. How long it will last???? Time will tell, but for now....she sure is clean and shinn-ie! If you call them ask for Josh and ask for a deal with extra towels and tire shine. The best thing about the whole cleaning (wipe down) job.... not one drop of water used! As I said....This stuff is the answer to cleaning your rig while on the road with wonderful results.I am really glad I ordered 5 gallons of it now!