Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
You don't have to justify your decision. What you decide is right for you.

We like our diesel truck and our diesel coach. Both get us to the campground about the same time as a gas unit. Once there sitting around the campfire no one cares.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #16
I am in the of "fire up" camp in that I bought a Winnebago 37' gasser with a great floor plan but couldn't stand the chassis. No power, excessive noise, crappy handling, etc. We drive our coach, not park it in a site for weeks/months, so the driving quality is critical. I'll probably put 20K on the odometer this year with the AK and other trips. It cost me plenty of $$$ to get out of the gas and into the DP and I am sure my sons don't like me spending their future inheritance, but it was a call we had to make.

I applause your decision to "stay where you are" based on the financial aspects. Too many people are in the must have it now mode and confuse the need vs want dilemma. I can do some of the maintenance, and will do more in the future on it. It's used, so good research needed and I got a service plan to defray any big ticket repairs.

Everyone has to live with their own decisions. Would a nice crisp new coach be nice. Yes except for the finances and frankly, we really like what we have and plan to put many miles on it.

2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
drwwicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Now I posted earlier to this thread saluting you for making a decision you felt comfortable with. Still do, as you also seem to like your current rig.

But the last few posts where you link the problems of others. Well sir, those are the exception - not the norm. Yes, things happen. Even when an owner is doing everything right, they can get a surprise.

But for every problem you read on these kinds of forums, their are many, many more owners that never post, or even read, these kinds of forums.

A few quick ones for you:

-A retired Navy officer with a no slide American coach (May have been the Dream model, can't recall.) from the mid 90's. Think it was 96 or 97. He had the Cummins ISC, with the Banks option of that era. Was just starting what he called his third trip thru the lower 48 states! Plus, he'd been to Alaska four times in that rig too. He was just over 180K miles on the coach. He'd replaced the Exhaust Manifold and Lift Pump once, as well as he replaced his alternator about two years ago too. Normal maintenance, that he did himself. Oh, he did say he needed a brake job, but felt that was not bad with the miles on his coach.

-Another couple that I used to work with. Are in a 91 Prevost XL Liberty 40' based coach. They were just putting in new hardwood floor, before heading out again. Third owners of this coach. A little over 400K miles on this coach. Still running well, handles good, solid and very few inside the coach rattles (He thinks something is loose behind the fridge, after a rough ride out of a boon docking site in the Borrego Desert area.) He was a maintenance tech at our factory, and is just a jack of all trades. And he does all of his own maintenance too. He said they had spent more money to upgrade the interior, and adding a second water heater to the coach, then they had on any other mechanically related item. Did have to replace the roof AC's, about five years ago. (Oh, and he did say the previous owner had pro actively changed out the air bags and radiator on this bus due to age. Wanting to do so before needing to on the side of the road!) But for a now 25 years or so old, well used bus - that does not see too out of line to me.

So that is two examples, of IMO well used and high mileage coaches - that have never had major problems.

My point is, don't shy away from a DP, due to posts you read of major problems that occur with others. They will happen, and yes it could happen to you. But, you could win the lotto too! All of these are exceptions, not the norm. Yes, do your homework and buy good quality to start with. I always suggest 'Drop years to remain within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that meets your needs.'. Get a good foundation to start with, bring anything deferred maintenance items back to where they belong. Maintain it properly - and use the heck out of it.

But again, sure nothing wrong with keeping your gasser too. But do so because you both feel it is the right coach for you now at this time, not because of reading about the problems that hit others. (And of course, I'm sorry for them having had these problems....) As they are the exception, not the norm...

Best to you,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Thanx Smitty. I guess the operative phrase was, 'For now'. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I'm always open to whatever, but whatever has to be the right one. Right now I'm just getting our coach all spruced up for this season.
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 winnabago suncruiser gasser. I thought about going diesel but what I could afford was older than I felt comfortable with. I figured it would probably have some expensive repairs that I could not do myself. My coach is 35 foot which is fine for us. We flat tow a smart car and try to travel light. Our coach is on a Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 liter engine and allison transmission. It runs great is not noisy on hills and is a pleasure to drive. I am not pushed around by trucks at all. I think winny did a great job when they built this coach. I am not saying gas is better but I will say this coach is very easy to work on. It has an easy to remove engine cover that allows access to everything on the engine. I myself hate the sound of diesel engines and the smell of diesel fuel and exhaust makes me sick. I am a scuba diver and have dove off many diesel boats and I find the diesel fumes bad for me. I know exhaust is better now with the new emissions requirements. Diesel fuel is the some thing as number 2 fuel oil and I have worked on oil burning furnaces for 40 years and that fuel smells worse than gasoline. One rag with fuel oil on it in your vehicle will stink up the truck for days. I am not saying I will never buy a diesel I realize the towing power of diesel is better and if you want to take everything with you it is better. I may have the best gas coach in the country I don't know but it sure works great for me.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on Workhorse W20 chassis 2009 Smart car cabrio toad
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #20
But the last few posts where you link the problems of others. Well sir, those are the exception - not the norm. Yes, things happen. Even when an owner is doing everything right, they can get a surprise.

But for every problem you read on these kinds of forums, their are many, many more owners that never post, or even read, these kinds of forums.

By far, one of the most accurate statements EVER on this forum. I have said this many, many times in my replies that, we read ONLY of the issues people WRITE on here. Just how many owners of both Diesel and Gas coaches are meandering all over the United States and are not having issues like the few that post them here?????
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #21
Yeah, but I walk around with that little black rain cloud hovering over my head. Me 'n Linus. My brother from another mother!!
Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Get what you want. Does not matter if it is gas or diesel. They are all similar at the campground and around the campfire.

We decided we would get what pleased us. We worked and saved to enjoy our retirement so are past trying to get lots of interest in order to pay lots of taxes. Our kids are going to inherit lots of interesting used toys.
We worked long and hard for what we have, spent some of it along the way and saved quite a bit.
There is no right or wrong answer, just what you want, nothing more.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #23
This forum, like all others, is a great source of information but to make decisions based on isolated posts is not appropriate. As the saying goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", the controversial posts gets the replies. We have all read posts where it's obvious to most that the poster has an agenda, or hopelessly ignorant of the facts. I am NOT referencing the posts referenced in this thread as examples. As has also been stated, many more owners of all types equipment who are totally satisfied with a product are silent and many owners, maybe most, never visit forums much less post.

In the end, every decision we make is what should be best for the decision maker and you have made a decision that is best for you. Perhaps we will meet on the road some day and share a cold one beside the coaches while looking over a mountain stream after having a pleasant drive there.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
drwwicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #24
We've been completely satisfied with our 16 year old 38' gas powered coach with a comfortable floor plan that suits our needs.

If yours works for you, might as well hang on to it.

Best of luck and safe travels............

Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote