Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Keeping The Gasser......

At least for now. For over 20 years my dream was to own a nice DP, and I am obsessed with the Vectra, Horizon, Meridian coaches of the mid 2000s. But I'm a realist. I can afford the MH, but after reading some of the threads on this forum, I'm disgusted with the price of replacement parts. I think the kicker was the thread identifying the cost of a radiator ($6.5k) the CAC ($$$$) and so forth. Of course the member who got dusted and was out $20k didn't help!!

Or Vacationer is in exceptional condition. Just had it pressure/leak tested and the roof ACs resealed. I'm about to do the brakes, as well as the tranny fluid and oil change, and the tires are only 2 years old. I know and understand this MH, and I can work on it. It only has one slide, but we've lived with it for 15 years. I got tired of yelling over the motor when we're climbing the hills, so now we just call that quiet time!

Our MH is only worth around $20k. But it has been very dependable and still looks great. Especially after we spent a week cleaning and detailing the outside. I have a seal on the left front jack that slowly leaks, and the dirt and sand always find a home on it, but that's what paper towels are for. Except for the TV location, we really like the layout. It's just been really good to us.

So I thank this forum for consistently identifying problems and all the assistance. And although these conversations have talked me out of pursuing a DP, it's not a negative (albeit a tad depressing!). It's constructive and has really helped us decide what to do. At least for now..........................

Lovey & Thurston - Cali Foothills
2001 HR Vacationer (SS Minnow) - Gasser!
Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

I have always contended that the best RV is the one that suits your needs and makes you happy.

Obviously you have the perfect RV for you. Congratulations, and continued good luck with it.

Happy Trails!!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
We stayed with the gas model for a lot of the reasons you mention, and the fact that I can do all my own maintenance and most repair work on it if needed. It gets us everywhere we want to go, and we love it. So I understand why you made the decision, some of those things scared us away from a diesel too.

As for your leaky jack, I don't know if you tried this or not yet, but ours started to weep from the seal on one jack. Our mechanic told me to spray the extended rod of the jack with WD-40, don't wipe it off, and run the jack up/down a few times. That sealed it up for us, he said occasionally particles will get in the seal and this cleans them out and reseals them.

Good Luck in your travels and your MH probably appreciates it as you seem to pamper it like we do ours.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Nothing wrong with your decision.

Knowing how much one can "stretch" the budget, is VERY commendable. A LOT of individuals (and the country as whole) would be much better off, if they have that quality.

I purchased a cheap gasser. Remodeled it completely. It was mechanically excellent when I bought it, but dated/trashed inside. I purchased it as a first MH, ....to see if I like the lifestyle, and to learn about MHs in general. After ONE 2500 mile trip, I decided I want a DP. I was discussted with the lack of power on grades, and the big "tail" wagging.

I wanted Prevost. Ready to spend 50K or so (cash, .....I don't do loans), and found EXACTLY what I want for 85K! I didn't have extra 35K! I didn't want to borrow it, and I didn't want to cash in some investments in order to get it (either of which I could've easily done, but I like COLLECTING interest, not paying it!).

So I "settled" on 1995 Vogue. It has everything I ever wanted (except tag axle!), and it fits us GREAT. We simply love it.

As one of my "role models" once said......."a man needs to know his limitations".

Congrats on being down to Earth, and responsible.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
My wife is in charge of the money. We made a bet and she lost!!! But she always says, "If you want it, buy it. We aren't taking it with us." Normally that's a bad temptation. We came close to buying a Meridian last week. I still might some day, but only when I can pay cash for it and still have money in the bank. Realistically, that's a year or a year and a half from now. But the one thing I believe in is a cooling off period. I will never buy on impulse or emotion. I did that when I was younger, and don't really have any regrets, but it wasn't a 100k MH!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Hard to argue your logic. We've had our Discovery since January and are just starting to stretch its legs. At 41' it's a bit longer than any gasser I'd want, and we love the huge space it provides. Since I've wanted an MH I've always had an emotional rather than logical desire to own a DP.

Since ours is relatively new and we got an extended warranty on it I'm hoping I won't see a $10K or $20K bill anytime in the near future

We had an old Pace Arrow (forget the year, but it was the old P30 chassis with a 454 under the doghouse) It was around 30 feet long, had a full sized bed in the rear and drop down bunk over the drivers seat. We put our younger son in the rear and the older one in the drop down. We slept on the fold out couch that was plenty comfortable for us (at the time 20 years ago).

Good luck, gas or diesel doesn't matter once you're parked, next to the fire with a drink in your hand.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
We love our Gas MH, there is nothing wrong with going Gas!!!

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 starter, and Jeep Cherokee towed.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Get what you want. Does not matter if it is gas or diesel. They are all similar at the campground and around the campfire.

We decided we would get what pleased us. We worked and saved to enjoy our retirement so are past trying to get lots of interest in order to pay lots of taxes. Our kids are going to inherit lots of interesting used toys.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Motorhome

Like many before me have commented, I was on the fence looking for our 1st Motorhome. Having owned both gas and diesel powerboats previously, uncertainly understand the benefits of both.

This forum opened our eyes to the fact that unless we planned to travel 5-15k miles a year, a Motorhome on a Ford F53 chassis would suffice and be a reliable platform for our home on the road.

DP'ers have their place and price. Anyone owning a diesel anything knows that parts and service are expensive. As with everything in life, tradeoffs come with a price, in our case; we won't be charging up hills or riding on a cloud with the air ride suspension, on the other hand we found a late model used Itasca with the floor plan we preferred and options we wanted for $75k. A comparable DP would have set us back at minimum another $50-75k. I couldn't justify that expense for the same amount of fun and enjoyment.

Happy with our gas MH decision, not to say in 5-10 years we won't be looking at a DP or another gasser.
Watermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Good for you doing what you feel is right for the both of you!!

You could also toss a few $K into this rig:
-Sound proof that dog house, we dynamat'ed our Bounder F53 V10, and it make a difference on both noise, and heat.
-If the TV is in the front cabinet, and tired of looking up. Move it if you can, or add an articulating arm that will swing the LCD screen down and pivot to a better viewing angle.
-New carpet, or other flooring
-Are you happy with the power? Add a Banks kit if not.

It for sure will never come back to you on resell, but that is not what it is all about.

And, even though I understand your decision. Remember you are reading mostly about 'the problem's' of others. For every 1 one post of a problem, their many hundreds maybe thousand more RV'ers not having any problems...

But until some in DC says otherwise, you get to do what you feel is right for you!

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post

So I thank this forum for consistently identifying problems and all the assistance. And although these conversations have talked me out of pursuing a DP, it's not a negative (albeit a tad depressing!). It's constructive and has really helped us decide what to do. At least for now..........................

I owned a Vacationer also - 1999, no slides. I found it to be reliable (after working out the plug issues). Wasn't a ton of fun to drive and like you said, it was loud. But it was well built.

Working on a few things on the intake side of the V10 - some parts were starting to become unavailable.

Sounds like you're someone that takes good care of your RVs, you'd be starting over with a DP, but I think I'd keep my eye out.. it can take a long time to find the right one.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
Hey Brian,
I just got to this thread. I didn't read all the answers/posts to it but, I'm kinda wondering about a statement you made where some one said a replacement radiator, and maybe some related parts was $6,500????? Whatttttt?

Now, I could be way off base here in my thinking but, was that radiator made out of GOLD or what? I replaced ours in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, for a mere $1200 and, about another $50-60 in some idler bearings, serpentine and v-belts etc.

There's no doubt about it that most diesel coaches will run a bit more per year in maintenance, all based on how much use they get and, luck of the draw, and of course, who does the work. Labor on some of these maintenance items or repairs is seriously out of order. You and I both know that tons of money can be and often is, saved by doing as much as possible for your own repairs and maintenance.

We moved to a diesel for one primary reason. We wanted our cake and eat it too. By that I mean, I wanted to CARRY our 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back of a coach and, tow our '04 Jeep Rubicon at the same time.

Well, that simply CAN'T HAPPEN with a gas coach. So, we looked for and found, a diesel that would fit the bill. I set that coach up to do just what I wanted to and, it worked absolutely flawlessly for over 8,000 miles. We'd have kept doing it but, some other things in our life changed and, we now carry the bike in the back of one of our present toads, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab.

But, the nicety of the Diesel, it's ride, it's quality of mechanism, ultra-low cruising RPMs and a few other "nice to haves" is a pretty good gig. I have no issues with a Gas rig. We had three of them and, the last one was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 Chassis and the V-10. It was a great coach for over 45,000 miles. We went all over the Western U.S. with that coach, always with a Jeep behind it. So, I applaud any direction you take.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
I think this was the post that sealed the deal for me.

99 Monaco Windsor side radiator CAC removal
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
And if that one didn't do it.....this one really got my goat.

"Dusted" motor.