Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

Keeping the "Sticks and Bricks" safe while away

Have a question for all of you “near full-timers”.

I have read that some of you make frequent trips ranging from 2 weeks to up to 3 months (or more) at a time. So it got me wondering, what do you do to protect the “sticks and bricks” while you’re gone?
Aries2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

Define protec?

WE have GREAT neighbors....everyone looks out for each other. When someone is gone the others keep an eye out/check for problems (a couple have keys to our place---grab mail--leave it inside)
Water/electric stay on..........timers turn lamps on/off (different times/different rooms)

We're a small community so we let The Marshals Office know if going to be gone for extended periods.

So what defines protect for you?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Yup, great neighbors that have our phone numbers. The house is winterized because we travel 6 to 7 months a year.

The neighbors called us to make sure all was well, when we didn't get home by Memorial Day.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Community Moderator

I keep internet cameras in the house and pointing out some windows. Gives me peace of mind that anytime I want I can have a look and put my mind at ease. Internet controllable thermostat is also a great thing. Check and control temperature from wherever you are.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #5

I had a friend who was getting divorced and needed a place to stay. I let him stay in my house for the summer (3) months that I was going to be away. He ended up staying a year. I had to start charging him rent. Next summer I kicked him out and rented out the house and went full time.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

Besides my 2 security systems, and like others. good neighbors, and a house sitter....One of the security systems can be accessed from my laptop or phone....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #7

We have two homes, and we too have great neighbors in both locations that have a key in case of an emergency. They keep an eye on things, get our mail if needed, would notify us if anything looks amiss, etc. We do the same for them when they are out of town or travel.
We have a monitored alarm system at both homes, plus several cameras outside that we can access via internet or phone. Works great for keeping an eye on the weather at home also, whenever you want. The same with the thermostat. We can access and monitor it from anywhere at any time.
Usually we flip the breaker on the water heater. Turn the ice maker off in the fridge, so it doesn't cycle. And turn off the water to the house. Although the irrigation system remains functional.
Easy peasy. We don't worry about it much.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Define protec?

WE have GREAT neighbors....everyone looks out for each other. When someone is gone the others keep an eye out/check for problems (a couple have keys to our place---grab mail--leave it inside)
Water/electric stay on..........timers turn lamps on/off (different times/different rooms)

We're a small community so we let The Marshals Office know if going to be gone for extended periods.

So what defines protect for you?
Being from the "current" crime captitol of the US, I'm always mindful that crime is never too far away. But to answer your question, "protect" for means that the place will not be vandalized in any manner or suffer some natural (storm damage) or man-made disaster when we're away and can do nothing (at least immediately) about it.

I had already considered the neighbors, police wellness checks, and internet cameras. I'll also add internet climate controls and security monitoring into the mix. A house-sitter might also be something we would consider as well.

Thanks for the input!
Aries2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #9

We have probably the most expensive option, a twenty something kid still living at home. Lol
Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #10

https://simplisafe.com/security?pcri...tm_source=goog
Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are half timers. Typically traveling 1 to 3 months at a time. Longest time away has been about 5 months.

The fixed house in SoCal is setup so we can pretty much lock the door and drive away. Lawn replaced by low water succulants, swimming pool de-commissioned, etc. Electric and gas left on for minimal heat and air conditioning - water turned off.

Mail is forwarded to a mail service with remote viewing and disposition capability.

For security we have interior monitored alarm with cameras, and several exterior cameras as well. Everything can be remotely alerted and viewed to my smart phone. Local police are advised when we travel and they put the house on their check rounds list.

A relative lives in the area - and can check on things if needed. Next door neighbor will respond to emergencies if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We too are halftimers and our Florida home is empty 5+ months each summer. We shut off most water lines, empty the fridge (but leave running at modest temp setting), stow away anything outdoors that can be blown away, set the thermostat somewhat high for economy, and make sure the insurance is up to date. The last one is the most important, we think. We have good neighbors and its a relatively low-crime rural area, so we don't worry much.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
We have probably the most expensive option, a twenty something kid still living at home. Lol
I had that once, until she fell in love and moved out without telling us.

When I sold that house, she asked where she was going to live. I said you haven't been here in months, stay where you are. She did.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed the RING system throughout the house. For $100 a year it is monitored. Shut the hot water heater off, shut the water off, set the thermostat to 79˚, Cut a hole in the door for a mail drop, take the outside mailbox down.

Neighbors are great. Son comes in every once in a while and goes through the advertisements,
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote