Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Does anyone know if it's possible to put a keyless entry on a motor home that did not come equiped that way from the factory?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40's 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motor cycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #2

Does anyone know if it's possible to put a keyless entry on a motor home that did not come equiped that way from the factory?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40's 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motor cycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #3

Hi Michael,

I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my Safari coach. I already have a deadbolt on the door so I know that part would not be the problem (as far as the latch and strike are concerned). I installed 2 Weiser Powerbolt locks on my new home last year and had 2 of them for over 5 years on my previous home. They have been great, with the exception of one that was 3 years old and a painter broke the ribbon connector. Weiser sent me a new keypad even though the lock was out of warranty 2 years!

Here are main things you and I must consider:

1. Door minimum thickness for the lock chosen
2. Room for keypad plate on outside of door (especially if you have an existing dead bolt you are replacing). Will it hit the window bezel or other hardware on the door?
3. Room for battery and mechanism cover on inside of door. Will it clear the screen door?

Here is the website page with tech. specs. for this lock: http://www.weiserlock.com/Default.aspx?area=productseri...ns&product_id=1000 95

Weiser lock tech. support is great and can help with questions not answered on their web site.

I know that Kwikset used to make one but am not familiar with it. There are some knock-offs in those liquidation catalogs like Heartland, but I'll stick with Weiser. This is the lock I will put on my coach once I get around to it. Rain, snow, dust, kids, hot sun...all have had no effect on this lock. It is also nice to program a second code in temporarily for a guest or a house sitter, etc. You do not have to give out the main code and as soon as the guest leaves, wipe out the 2nd code. It is also great for kids; they don't lose codes as they do keys. There is also a key cylinder just in case. When the batteries get weak (4 AA) the lock just gets slower and sluggish. With kids at the house coming and going, I changed the batteries twice a year, now, the batteries have been in these 2 locks since the original install over a year ago, as we are now empty nesters. I never had the batteries just go dead anyway, there was always plenty of warning to change the batteries in time. Hope I didn't give you too much information, I'm just trying to be thorough to try to help you out.

Happy travels,

Sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #4

Hi Sparetire,

Thanks for the information, I didn't think this would be such a big deal as they put keyless locks on most new motor homes. However, I have not been able to find anyone from lock companies to RV upgrade supply companies who had any suggestions. I had not thought about calling Weiser locks tech support. I don't think the thickness of the door will be a problem as it's close to 3 inches. the length of the bolt might be a problem for me.

I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Michael
Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #5

You might want to check out Essex Electronics Remote RV Lock they might be able to guide you to a lock mechanism that works with their remotes.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #6

I called Newmar yesterday. They gave me a phone number of the people who supply them. However, when we got up to about $850 for the lock and key pad I started thinking this project was a little more expensive than it was worth to me. Especially since the coach won't be worth a dime more after I put it on. I'm still going to look for a cheaper alternative, but may have to settle for a lock box.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #7

$850.00?!! That's a lot of money for a lock in my book. I didn't like paying the $100.00 I paid for each Wiser Powerbolt. Guess I should look upon it in a different light.

Happy travels,

sparetire
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #8

I don't know if this helps, but worth checking out.

Keyless Entry possible on most Monaco Models

Submitted by Bob Gummersall frgummer@ix.netcom.com

November 1999

Using readily available devices it is possible to add Keyless Entry function to most Monaco Models. Thus using a key fob controller, like for most new automobiles, you can lock and unlock your entry door from up to 60 feet away. This is especially true for any Monaco with a PTL Door. The label on the door frame says PTL Engineering. Here's what is required.

Start by ordering a special solenoid from PTL by calling them at 248-652-7998 and tell them the year and model and ask for the dead bolt locking option. Your door is pre-tapped to accept this solenoid and PTL ships all the linkage necessary. I recommend the option to lock and unlock the dead bolt instead of the main door lock because it is safer. Passkeys are available for the main door lock but the dear bolt key is more unique. The two wires need to be routed from this solenoid through the doorframe to a control unit, which can be mounted in the dash in a convenient location. A rubber conduit can be used to cover these wires or you can drill the large holes necessary to mount a Johnny Jumper type touch span switch, that is also available from PTL. Owners of Monaco door coaches can also add a solenoid to lock and unlock the integrated main lock. Contact Monaco for the appropriate parts.

If you already have a Trekmate Alarm System, then you need only buy the Auxiliary Connector from Trekmate and all the locking and unlocking function can be performed as you "Arm and Disarm" the alarm.

If you don't have the Trekmate or similar alarm system and don't want to buy one, then the wireless control unit can be purchased from the JC Whitney Catalog for about $80 and it comes with two key fobs.

The cost of adding Keyless Entry will cost about $150 if you already have the Trekmate, $250 if you don't but have a PTL door, and $350 if you have a non-PTL door. Email if you want the detailed installation instructions. In all cases you have to add 2 to 4 labor hours to this cost if you get a technician to do the installation.

Back to Monacoers Home Page
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland