Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I disabled mine the first week I had it. I don't like outside influences on my personal desires. I don't want to watch tv, or DVD's when I'm driving, but my passengers sure do. To Hell with the laws. Pull the shades down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HotMech
That was a perfect response. I couldn't agree with you more. That will fire up the naysayers !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh yes they can! Rear view mirror.

Aw heck! Isn't that what cruise control is for.

Re-direct the tv output to the back-up camera monitor.

Trust me. None of those ideas are any good.

What about the bedroom tv?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Tell-em it's just a big GPS screen
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #19

That might be a little tough to explain to the police when my "GPS" is showing a Disney movie on it!!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #20

Quote:
To Hell with the laws. Pull the shades down.
I always love comments such as these. We seem to have lost sight of right and wrong as long as it's convenient for "me".
However, we all make these choices everyday. We jay-walk, run red lights, do a rolling stop at a right-on-red intersection or a stop sign we don't really think applies to us. We all do this and we all know that we may be ticketed for our indiscretions. A choice is just that, a choice. Laws are written to protect the innocent (the guy you hit while watching TV) but we, as a society, choose to follow the rules or not.
Now, so I don't sound like I am preaching here, I had an in-motion antenna on my coach for almost 10 years before I replaced it with a Trav'ler. I admit that I sometimes watched brief segments of interest while driving. I also admit that it was difficult to keep the RV in my lane when the "Girls gone wild" commercials came on! Otherwise, while I know I sometimes took my eye off the road, I don't feel I did anything dangerous. However, I was always very aware that what I was doing could get me a ticket so I turned the TV off as we approached toll booth or saw a officer approaching from the rear just to be on the safe side as I really don't need a moving violation on my driving record.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best thing to do for the lids to watch movies is to get a portable DVD player and set it up where they can watch from a belted position.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TXiceman,
I belt them no matter what position they are in !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Drop the kiddies off at the theater as you drive by..........
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #24

Here is a pic of thewires and the outlet that connects the tv and the reciever in my coach, the manufacturer has told me that no matter were the tv is located they will always do this. So I went probing around and found that they basically attached a relay to the outlet and it simply interferes the power to the outlet the moment I put my ignition in the on position. Make sure you just don't cut whatever wire of the relay one is going to stop the relay from working and the other will keep the tv from working. If you know how a relay works you know what I mean. In my case it turned out to be the red wire and I just pulled it out of the scotch block or the wire tap I have heard both names used for it. It worked flawlessly and if I need to return it back to the way it was it will be a piece of cake. I also taped them together so they wouldn't get lost in the wall either. Here are my pics. Good luck it is easy.

easyryder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'll defer to some of our law enforcement members who may see this thread and post, but in the past they've said that there's differentiation between "driver's aid devices" (e.g., GPS screens, rear vision cameras, etc.) and television-type displays insofar as their enforcement is concerned.

Rusty
My new in dash gps/dvd touch screen in my car was disabled when you put the car in drive. I understood the reasons for disabling the dvd part of it, but the new systems dont care weather or not its in gps mode or dvd mode. I couldnt get car toys to disable the system, and stopping someplace to put the car into park whenever I wanted to check for a way point or nearest gas station ect on the gps. (Or for my wife to do it for me) So I broke the law and bypassed that lockout feature. I dont watch dvd's while drifing down the road, or at all for that matter. But the main reason for purchasing the in dash unit was for the gps. I just think it was funny that the manufacturers dont make the same differentiation between the gps and the dvd. And according to Car Toys, neither do they.
N1Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I always love comments such as these. We seem to have lost sight of right and wrong as long as it's convenient for "me".
I'll second this remark and basically the rest of Bill's post.

Me, me, me... and I can get away with that... are both a disturbing change in values. But then again, it's also now fashionable that everything is somebody else's fault, never one's self. Distracted by texting, sexting, phoning, or that TV and hit someone and who will you blame??? Some one else of course... Hmmm...

TVs are disabled not because RV manufacturers are making life difficult for us, but because there is a majority of states with such a law requiring them to do so. It's yet another expense on them. Obey that law, and every other law/commandment (texting, tow brake, GVWR, etc.) as you see fit.

Me? I'll always try my best to consider what effect everything I do has (or could have) upon those around me.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Is it also illegal to have your backup camera working while you are driving or is it just "entertainment" devices?
I have read where some states say "Any video equipment' Or such and thus would include the back up camera.

But if I was ever ticketed for that I think I would fight it and I'd invite a few friends from the press along to cover it.. Pointing out that it is really no more than a rear view mirror.

To the original poster.

Do not disable the main TV interlock. Find a place you can "Mount" a portable TV farther back.. For example on my coach there is a swivel chair bolted to the floor (Easily unbolted and moved should I wish) that is not to be sat upon when in motion.

I could easily strap a portable TV to this chair

I routed an additional COAX cable to the outside wall of a cabinet next to the chair along with a 12 volt outlet big enough to power the small portable TV.

Kids (or adults) Sitting on the couch (Wearing seat belts) can see it clearly

The driver.. Would have to turn around in his seat to see it.

Thus it's legal

PAGE 2:

This same TV, with a longer hunk of coax hooked to an outdoor (Compartment) jack, and a portable "Car" (A 12 volt jump-start battery)

Is my "Sat-Finder" meter for setting up the ground dish.

Works great Beats the blazes out of that 30 dollar job the stores sell.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #28

I have a 02 Bounder and it has a small TV in the Bed room that works off the house battery I would thank the 2000 has the same thing. the little ones could lay in the bed and watch videos it would not interfer with the driving. wcombs34
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote