Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #1

Kids watching TV while driving?

Is there an easy way to disable the feature that will not allow the main coach TV to operate while the key is on? I believe I read that my bounder has something in the dash or steering column that disables the main coach TV when the chassis key is turned on. I would like to disable this feature so that my kids can watch a movie while we are travelling. Our passenger vehicle has a dvd player which we operate while travelling and it does not interfere with my driving in any way. Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Your TV is 120V... So you'll need to either run the genny (expensive to do) and plug into the OTHER plug thats right next to the TV plug (it's not controlled) or install an inverter and plug into it.. I have a 1000W inverter installed in the same cabinet and I simply unplug from the wall plug and plug into the inverter.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

While I must put in the disclaimer that it is illegal to have any TV on that can be viewed by the driver while the vehicle is in-motion, it's pretty easy to disable the ignition over-ride. As mentioned, if there is another plug available you can just relocate the TV plug. You will also likely find that the box the TV is plugged into has a couple of 12V wires coming into the box. This is the ignition disconnect. Snip one or both of these wires and the disconnect will no longer be effective.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill thank you putting up the note about the legality of the TV disable. Most states have a statute that the TV cannot be viewed from the drivers position while the vehicle is in motions and citations can be issued.

So proceed at your own risk,.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. Believe me, there is no way that I would ever watch the TV while I am driving. Having just bought the motorhome and not driven it much yet, I think you would have to be some type of gymnast to see it with the position of the TV above the driver's head. I am just looking for a way to keep the kids occupied on those long stretches when the scenery is not too great. I understand the reasoning behind the safety feature though, I am sure that there are some who would try to watch it while they are driving.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Again, it's your motorhome, your money and your decision, but just to ensure that the message is clear, the offense where this is illegal is having the functioning video display in the driver's field of view. It doesn't matter whether the driver is watching it or not. That's the reason for the ignition interlock - to disable the television whenever the vehicle is in motion.

Personally, I wouldn't want to invite needless roadside conversations with law enforcement officers, but that's just my preference.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #7

Is it also illegal to have your backup camera working while you are driving or is it just "entertainment" devices?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I'll defer to some of our law enforcement members who may see this thread and post, but in the past they've said that there's differentiation between "driver's aid devices" (e.g., GPS screens, rear vision cameras, etc.) and television-type displays insofar as their enforcement is concerned.

Rusty
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

I thought so. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not doubting what you guys are saying at all. However I have never seen that in writing any place, but have heard it since we got into MHing years ago. We had a 2000 Itasca Horizon that came from the factory enabled. We drove all the way across S Dakota watching Lonesome Dove on video.

I was on the job for 27 years in Georgia and never encountered a situation where I could/would have made such a charge and don't ever remember seeing such a law in the traffic codes
Where is this law written?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Here's the Texas law, straight from the Texas Transportation Code:

Quote:
Sec. 547.611. USE OF CERTAIN VIDEO EQUIPMENT AND TELEVISION RECEIVERS.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with video receiving equipment, including a television, a digital video disc player, a videocassette player, or similar equipment, only if the equipment is located so that the video display is not visible from the operator's seat unless the vehicle's transmission is in park or the vehicle's parking brake is applied.
(b) A motor vehicle specially designed as a mobile unit used by a licensed television station may have video receiving equipment located so that the video display is visible from the operator's side, but the receiver may be used only when the vehicle is stopped.
(c) This section does not prohibit the use of:
(1) equipment used:
(A) exclusively for receiving digital information for commercial purposes;
(B) exclusively for a safety or law enforcement purpose, if each installation is approved by the department;
(C) in a remote television transmission truck; or
(D) exclusively for monitoring the performance of equipment installed on a vehicle used for safety purposes in connection with the operations of a natural gas, water, or electric utility; or
(2) a monitoring device that:
(A) produces an electronic display; and
(B) is used exclusively in conjunction with a mobile navigation system installed in the vehicle.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.117(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 20, Sec. 1, 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 942, Sec. 1, eff. June 15, 2007.
Georgia may or may not have such a law - it will vary by state.

Rusty
Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a very easy way to disable it.. However consider this.

The police officer passing you feels he is over worked and under paid

Your house looks to him to be at least 100,000 dollars worth of ride

He may feel the need to "Equalize" and not your batteries either.

And I know for a fact that in Michigan there is a law because I personally looked it up for a trooper who needed chapter and verse (Section and sub section) for a ticket he was writing (Someone else thank you)

I'm told the other 50 states (yes 50, I"m including Washington DC as a state) have much the same law..

Now.. how to do it:

Move the TV's power plug to another outlet.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you really think the Fuzz will write you, just make a cardboard shield to prevent you from being able to see the TV from the drivers seat.
I have driven 50,000 miles with my TV, (it was wired into my back up camera) on and never had a problem with the law. Also, in your case it would be considered a "drivers aid". It's keeping the little buggers quiet!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck.. As I said.. I know for a fact that tickets have been written because they ask me for the section of law so they could properly make out the ticket.

A better solution by the way is a small portable TV strapped in a chair or to a counter across from the kid's seating.. That way the kids can watch TV but the driver can not... Or one of the popular "Head Rest" TV's that go on the front seat head rests and can be seen from the back seat only.